IGNORED

Soundcloud laying off 20% of their workforce

exitonly

https://cdm.link/2022/08/soundcloud-to-cut-1-in-5-employees-worldwide/

I definitely don't take any glee in people losing their jobs, but soundcloud has turned into such a garbage pile. It's amazing how bad it got. I had some kind of subscription to upload, and it was still spamming me constantly to switch to some other kind of subscription to upload and then another additional subscription to listen to stuff... and then started playing long adds when I'm just listening to some random person's music. I get they need to monetize the system but I would think having something people actually want to use would come first.

Anywho, hope something like this but better comes along. I really like bandcamp but there were some social/sharing aspects of SC that were nice (and probably shouldnt be replicated by bandcamp)

• Like 2

They laid off 40% in 2017 which didn't help things. Sounds like a sinking ship and imo they're trying to be too much by catering to everyone imaginable. The site experience itself is a complete mess, free audio streamrate is atrocious (64k!), I have over ten thousand bot listens and ceaseless spam in my inbox. 

2 hours ago, chim said:

They laid off 40% in 2017 which didn't help things. Sounds like a sinking ship and imo they're trying to be too much by catering to everyone imaginable. The site experience itself is a complete mess, free audio streamrate is atrocious (64k!), I have over ten thousand bot listens and ceaseless spam in my inbox. 

most idm 2022: music that is mostly listened to by other machines rather than humans

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

My ClownSound is basically a wasteland anyway. Was apparently the shit when I first got into it in early 2011. But now I'm not sure why I bother keeping an account at all.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, nikisoko said:

https://cdm.link/2022/08/soundcloud-to-cut-1-in-5-employees-worldwide/

I definitely don't take any glee in people losing their jobs, but soundcloud has turned into such a garbage pile. It's amazing how bad it got. I had some kind of subscription to upload, and it was still spamming me constantly to switch to some other kind of subscription to upload and then another additional subscription to listen to stuff... and then started playing long adds when I'm just listening to some random person's music. I get they need to monetize the system but I would think having something people actually want to use would come first.

Anywho, hope something like this but better comes along. I really like bandcamp but there were some social/sharing aspects of SC that were nice (and probably shouldnt be replicated by bandcamp)

yeah this spamming of people who pay money to their services is completely insane.

Like I pay them to be able to host as many tracks as I like but they keep showing me how I should update to have access to full downloads. sometimes even with full page banner ads on mobile. wtf is wrong with them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

The most incredible part of this for me is that people actually work at soundcloud.

I'm guessing they are culling a lot of remote working keyboard jockeys with vague, trendy work titles. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Pretty annoying how they removed the "Reject all" option from the cookies popup, now you have to individually click to reject each one every time. And I mean every time. Soundcloud could be so great but they find lots of little ways to make it shitty lol

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 7:24 AM, Summon Dot E X E said:

i dont know about you but i get several of these fake accounts liking and sharing my tracks every time i post. always the same website.

i report them all as spam. FUCK OFF

image.thumb.png.86182f6972a654d20ad7299b17a11dee.png

srsly cant SC use ML or at least OCR to detect this shit now? i'll train them a tensorflow model for free FFS

Lol I dug up this topic to rant about exactly this; funny that it was the last comment in the thread.

Seriously though, in all the years of Soundcloud's existence, HOW have they never figured out how to get rid of these fake/bot/spam accounts? Do they just not care?

On the plus side, "reject all" cookies feature is finally back. :dadjoke:

But yeah, I decided to reinvigorate my sc account and was shocked (not really) to discover that immediately a spam/bot account "liked" my track... just like in the old days.

Being a musician on the internet in 2023 is grim.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1