IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - GAIA 15

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I just played the top 3 most played tracks on every release (Spotify gives the data on any track over 1000 plays) which would give at least an idea on how to start. If I liked all three I'd play more. One of worst of the series was CYCLES, yet even there I found one gem on number 12. Then they would be an album like Spectrum Analysis which every track would have have multiple thousand plays up to 20,000 plays so you know the whole album is solid. 

I've said before how the number of plays per track is a so simple but so great feature on Spotify, it's a simple way of gaining insight into an impenetrable artists best tracks. Say for example you wanted to get into Frank Zappa (or Autechre!) this is the best shortcut available to get there. Though of course it's not 100% foolproof.

What was the gem on number 12?

On 9/30/2023 at 3:41 PM, scumtron said:

I used to ba a fan but fell of the Aleksi train a long time ago. I just can´t keep up with 10+ releases every year. Are the releases under the same name connected in any way? Vibe, software, genre? If I live GAIA 15, will I probably like all GAIAs?

Yeah, each "series" tends to be in a similar bpm/"instrument" range/style. That being said, I do wish Aleksi would be more informational about concept/intent/artistic statements regarding each of the series, specifically delineating what he was going for/working with, since all we get are the "cover art" and name of the series to work with (no track titles...)  He did state in one interview the difference between various projects at the time being analogue vs digital, but I can't remember now which ones those were...    At least, a good number of them are "pay what you will" so I'm not completely out of dosh every month...

Edited by hayhook
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, t yst r said:

Keeping in mind the Ovuca legacy, I'm really just waiting for the outtakes...

https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/album/onclements-outtakes

https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/album/lactavent-outtakes

^These^ ?

or are you waiting for outtakes from the 20+/- albums he's been putting out per year lately...

is it possible there's outtakes with that kind of prolific output?

Edited by hayhook

On 10/3/2023 at 9:35 AM, hayhook said:

Yeah, each "series" tends to be in a similar bpm/"instrument" range/style. That being said, I do wish Aleksi would be more informational about concept/intent/artistic statements regarding each of the series, specifically delineating what he was going for/working with, since all we get are the "cover art" and name of the series to work with (no track titles...)  He did state in one interview the difference between various projects at the time being analogue vs digital, but I can't remember now which ones those were...    At least, a good number of them are "pay what you will" so I'm not completely out of dosh every month...

I believe the Ovuca stuff is hardware only, the Aleksi stuff not so.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, hayhook said:

https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/album/onclements-outtakes

https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/album/lactavent-outtakes

^These^ ?

or are you waiting for outtakes from the 20+/- albums he's been putting out per year lately...

is it possible there's outtakes with that kind of prolific output?

I was actually being silly. Most consider ^these^ outtakes to be better than the albums from which they were omitted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, t yst r said:

I was actually being silly. Most consider ^these^ outtakes to be better than the albums from which they were omitted.

The outtakes are good and all, but they are not better than the albums from which they were omitted. Except for "Cow is a Mammal",  that is a masterpiece.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, t yst r said:

My bad... 😔

Lol sorry man, it was meant to be in jest. For me they're not better than the albums (I love onclements to bits), but that's just my preference.

38 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Lol sorry man, it was meant to be in jest. For me they're not better than the albums (I love onclements to bits), but that's just my preference.

Of course 😄

It's the sense I got from other people on the board. I must admit I've never even given Onclements a proper playthrough. Shame... 🫣

• 2 weeks later...