IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - GAIA 15

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this rocks. GAIA 15 is ?

I am dying to know this guys set up, and how much of this is automated. It's kind of a dream, taking the struggle out of the music making process, I imagine. If it was hard or super time intensive, he wouldn't be able to generate so much quality material.

• 2 weeks later...

Its amazing how much he produces and how much of it is great to listen to.

It said on the bandcamp page 'supported by KONE foundation' so I looked it up.

Its a Finnish firm that makes lifts and gives grants to artists etc.

Here's the page about Aleksi's grant:

https://koneensaatio.fi/en/grants-and-residencies/elektronisen-musiikin-saveltaminen-ja-tuottaminen-pohjautuen-colundi-taajuuksiin-2/

Translated:

Composing and producing electronic music based on colundi frequencies

Artistic work / work based on it | Two years ago

I create my own tuning systems based on colundi frequencies and make them using new music. Colundi is the name for a series of frequencies based on the beneficial effects of sound on the human body and mind. The frequency at which the sound vibrates is primary. Colundi frequencies are not playable on known scales. Colundi consists of 128 different frequencies, located unevenly in the 10.8 Hz–12,000 Hz frequency range. Every interval and octave is different. Because of this, I have concluded that the most effective way of working is to make different tuning systems from these frequencies and use them as a basis for composing. I have been using pure sine waves in my music for the past 20 years. In this project I plan to use them to model physical instruments and materials. First, I analyze the sound I've chosen using Fourier analysis, a visual equalizer and my tuning ear. I calculate the ratios of the sine waves in the sound and their averages. Then I digitally build the sound of my chosen instrument part by part using colundi frequencies based on my tuning systems. I have found that the sounds of indigenous percussion instruments are best suited for this, as their upper notes are not harmonic in the usual way. Examples of these include the lithophone, tingklik, kyezee, bianqing, pyeongyeong, qing, Chinese two-tone bells, the bronze drum of the Karen people, African percussion instruments, Indian tablas and the Balinese gamelan instruments jegogan, calung, penyacah, ugal, pemade, kantilan, trompong and reyong. In my self-built home studio, I use a computer, samplers, synthesizers, drum machines and effects devices as tools. I feel that colundi frequencies have pure and endless power.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 1:08 AM, jules said:

I’m obsessed with the final track on this one. I wish it was 45 minutes long.

Yeah it's real nice, like a super chilled out cousin of the first track of Deathprod's Treetop Drive album

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, zazen said:

Its amazing how much he produces and how much of it is great to listen to.

It said on the bandcamp page 'supported by KONE foundation' so I looked it up.

Its a Finnish firm that makes lifts and gives grants to artists etc.

Here's the page about Aleksi's grant:

https://koneensaatio.fi/en/grants-and-residencies/elektronisen-musiikin-saveltaminen-ja-tuottaminen-pohjautuen-colundi-taajuuksiin-2/

Translated:

wow this is the most coherent non-new age explanation i have read of colundi stuff so far...

the bit about how he's trying to model indigenous instruments by breaking them down by fourier transform and then re-building using colundi frequencies is pretty interesting 

• 4 months later...

Edited by NewSchoolScience

On 4/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, gnarlybog said:

Actually, this rocks. GAIA 15 is ?

I am dying to know this guys set up, and how much of this is automated. It's kind of a dream, taking the struggle out of the music making process, I imagine. If it was hard or super time intensive, he wouldn't be able to generate so much quality material.

I think he has a great attention span and doesn't get bored working on a track

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just throw them all into respective playlists. So GAIA has a playlist, CYCLES, ALITHIA, PHANTASIA etc.

Put the list on shuffle and you have enough music for the day. So good. Especially on headphones.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:11 PM, NewSchoolScience said:

Looking forward to the mission debrief

🫡

Beerwolf reporting in for duty!

Up to no.9, which on the whole is my favourite of GAIA series so far, and probably the most consistent of all his recent albums (along with Paradox and Spectrum Analysis) You will feel as though you're travelling across the Indian/Tibetan Himalaya. Maybe as an eagle in the sky, maybe on a donkey through the cloud forest, maybe as a lone Yeti in the snow fields? I'm quite a fan of that traditional Indian sitar drone thing (I don't know the name for it but you'll recognise it) also the tabla is used to good effect. Better than the results on Phantabla III.

Edited by beerwolf

I used to ba a fan but fell of the Aleksi train a long time ago. I just can´t keep up with 10+ releases every year. Are the releases under the same name connected in any way? Vibe, software, genre? If I live GAIA 15, will I probably like all GAIAs?

10+ if he's having a slack year. Over 20 albums last year by my reckoning.

But yeah I'm out on these too. Every now and again a track will pop up on Spotify, some even sound half-decent, but I just don't have time to sift through this amount of material.

I just played the top 3 most played tracks on every release (Spotify gives the data on any track over 1000 plays) which would give at least an idea on how to start. If I liked all three I'd play more. One of worst of the series was CYCLES, yet even there I found one gem on number 12. Then they would be an album like Spectrum Analysis which every track would have have multiple thousand plays up to 20,000 plays so you know the whole album is solid. 

I've said before how the number of plays per track is a so simple but so great feature on Spotify, it's a simple way of gaining insight into an impenetrable artists best tracks. Say for example you wanted to get into Frank Zappa (or Autechre!) this is the best shortcut available to get there. Though of course it's not 100% foolproof.

Edited by beerwolf