IGNORED

James Blake - Playing Robots Into Heaven

viscosity

I have never been able to get into this guy tbh. His early dubstep works were too skeletal for me and the singer songwriter thing he started doing after his early EPs turned me off completely. I wonder if this is going to change my mind.

17 minutes ago, thumbass said:

I have never been able to get into this guy tbh. His early dubstep works were too skeletal for me and the singer songwriter thing he started doing after his early EPs turned me off completely. I wonder if this is going to change my mind.

Exactly the same for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is pretty decent. I'm glad he finally took a break from the sappy piano crooning and did an album's worth of the good stuff that would occasionally pop up on b-sides and one off releases. 

• Like 1

This is the Blake I like. The sounds are not as barebones as his early stuff and there are no whining ballads. What we are left with is a great combination of soulful electronics that can still hit hard in some places and great emtional singing. My favorite is currently I Want You To Know but Fall Back, Tell Me, Big Hammer and Asking To Break are stand outs to me as well. Thanks James!

What a great year for music

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

Jimmy did a nice in-depth interview on the Tape Notes podcast. Talks a lot about his production process and breaks down some of the tracks on the album. Very cool to hear some of the early modular jams that eventually made it on to the album. 

https://tapenotes.co.uk/project/tn122-james-blake 

Here's a clip, talking about Big Hammer:

Edited by misc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, not for me. Didn't get past the third track. Can't stand his voice, no matter what he does with it. Terrible. Also played Big Hammer 'cause folks are talking about it a lot. That's also terrible. And that's putting it nicely 😜 👊

Edited by beerwolf