IGNORED

drift phonk

Rubin Farr

A genre that could only exist today, this scene started to blow up in 2020, when Spotify launched in Russia. A sub-genre of phonk, this is late 90s-early 2000s Memphis rap, (usually 2 min. or less in length) mostly bars from Three Six Mafia and DJ Smokey, chopped & screwed, sent through distortion that sounds like JK Flesh produced it, and popularized by YouTube drifting videos. The vocals are intentionally mixed low, giving the genre a ghostly vibe to it. Very interesting to see a country, who is politicized as the enemy of America, digesting their culture and regurgitating it to suit them.

• Like 2

Akoza is maybe the most well-known, i'm not a scholar on this, but him and others have been doing shit in that direction for years, here in America. the ultra-distortion is interesting and potentially a new take but i think i'd heard some Akoza or others toying with that serious destruction (at least at times) in their tapes.

also idk what of the examples is chopped & screwed, i didn't hear anything with that in there. it's a specific term i'm not sure has anything to do with the 'genre', but i've seen lots of people claiming 'chopped and screwed' for shit that aint. just running some southern rap through a distortion VST does not a genre make. gets really samey for certain. could see some cool stuff coming out of it tho, if anyone's got some interesting artists in there post it for sure. not trying to shit on anything.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

can you hear the similarity to dancehall? like 2 or 3 basic riddims make up a lot of the tracks.

On the Jdm drift Saint-Petersburg//Phonk video (track is What the Fuck by Rhodamine) I like how the beat sits about 90bpm but the keyboard makes it feel much more like 180, really drives it before I even think about the redline distortion. Its almost as if the keyboard is doing the hihats job

• Like 1

8 hours ago, picklish2 said:

On the Jdm drift Saint-Petersburg//Phonk video (track is What the Fuck by Rhodamine) I like how the beat sits about 90bpm but the keyboard makes it feel much more like 180, really drives it before I even think about the redline distortion. Its almost as if the keyboard is doing the hihats job

Cowbell is one of the tropes in these tracks as well, I think maybe it’s mapped to the keyboard?

Like some of this shit but do find it bit samey, prefer wave tbh but guess quite a bit of cross over between the 2 genres.

big skeeler fan and his stuff bit of both his nightdrive mixes well worth checking out.

Also recommend kareful, klimeks and the plastician Wavepool comps for more good shit on a wave tip.

Edited by kirm

On 12/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Cowbell is one of the tropes in these tracks as well, I think maybe it’s mapped to the keyboard?

Oh yeah I see now, it's a cowbell mapped to a keyboard, mad how a little grid pattern like that arises and becomes a music meme, like the hihats in trap. 

• Like 1