IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

15 hours ago, beerwolf said:

For me personally I just deal with the simple, hard facts, which I don’t need to spell out. Opinions on social media (not that I read it) opinions on talk radio etc etc, doesn’t interest me and just creates unnecessary stress. Unfortunately Ukraine is just a sitting duck and being hung out to dry. The real big problem might begin once Ukraine is done and dusted and if Mr Putin fancies going further west. My axe is ready ?

Yeah, it is super cool to be a neighbor to some delusional shit for brains who is living the hell out of being Alexander the Great of the 21st century and his Putin world tour 2022. Personally need to keep the focus on daily living and stuff, but I don't believe a word that these guys spell out with their "lol, we aren't attacking anywhere" shit. All my thoughts to Ukraine!

14 hours ago, zero said:

I thought that too. I remember a guy from St. Petersberg was on here for awhile, he left though. not sure I've seen too many other Russians on this site. back in the old days there used to be a member map, where you could drop a pin where you were from, IIRC. that vanished after one of the board updates.  

You can pretty much read russian side perspectives on many other places (and their users comments), saker.is, moonofalabama, whereever. After all, thousands of ideas about motivations, outcome, etc. yadda yadda, nobody can tell the real... what's it called... "truth". Lots of admiration of the russian army. I think it doesn't hurt to hear many sides.

What I'm noticing is, this offensive is kinda felt and treated like a game changer. Personally, I also have that kind of unresting stomach, many of my age had grandparents part of WW2. We are non-empathic assholes IMO, that's what I just see. From our hearts, we didn't give a shit about other countries conflicts and their people, not as much as now. Like Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya... 

Swedish military magazine Pen & The Sword shares correspondence from Ukranian lieutenant colonel Oleg Bezverhney, stationed in Poltava: 9:13 CET: "Heavy fighting continues for Gostomel. Combat helicopters of the Russian army landed troops on the runway of the Gostomel airfield. Ukrainian troops are trying to block and destroy the enemy, who is at a distance of 26 km. from Kiev. At 02:00 25.02.2022 Gostomel completely came under the control of the Armed Forces of Ukraine."

He corroborates the claim that the russians landed on Gostomel airport but were repelled, the helicopters scuttled and five russian survivors have fled into the nearby woods. 

274686600_5217106921644222_559655319035743406_n.jpg

If someone Novachek'd Putin it would pretty much solve everything in the most poetic way possible

But the reality is:

- Ukraine split in 2

- Cold War 2

- European Army Development and/or Nato expansion

- China emboldened re Taiwan?

• Like 1

Genuine BBC complaint

' Please can you tell me why your coverage of the Russian-Ukraine conflict is entirely biased towards Ukraine ?  As far as I know, we aren't at war with Russia so why aren't you being fair and impartial ?  Is it the job of the 'neutral' BBC to pick sides in foreign conflicts ?'

Smash that mf picard facepalm reaction :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Facepalm 13

56 minutes ago, phudoshin said:

European Army Development and/or Nato expansion

Based on the discussion on Finnish sites this is going to pretty much guarantee that Finland is going to apply for a NATO membership.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, zkom said:

Based on the discussion on Finnish sites this is going to pretty much guarantee that Finland is going to apply for a NATO membership.

That's the PM of Finland.

This link here gives a great overview from the Finnish left: https://jmkorhonen.net/2022/02/23/on-the-kremlins-imperialism/

• Like 5

Finland had no gains in joining NATO, only potential drawbacks, same with Sweden. Putin has literally said if Ukraine joined NATO it'd prompt them to consider activating nuclear forces and if a post-Ukraine member NATO moved in to take back Crimea he'd use a nuclear strike. 

I'm sure any Finns here can pop in with way more insight but their stance has always been to avoid being tied down with NATO commitments and hard pivoting to the US and instead keeping their small active forces at home so they can guide and direct reserves if needed in a potential conflict with Russia. For example when Russia invaded Ossesstia/North Georgia more than 1,000 active Georgian troops were literally deployed in Iraq as a "NATO partner" mission to train and get experience. 

There's no good outcome to this, I think Putin's goals are flexible to what gains they Russian army can make. If they truly get bogged down then they retreat to the now fully occupied Donbas region and Crimea. If they gain but get in a stalemate they will split Ukraine in half. If they were to hypothetically occupy all of it - and I honestly think (and hope) that won't happen, it's going to be an incredibly bloody and tenacious insurgency. Ukraine has already proven to be effective in some skirmishes and battles and the Russian forces haven't hit any major cities yet. They failed spectacularly to take over an airbase a day or two ago the way they did in 2014.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

hope azov nazis are not getting mercy

To what end? You know there are neo-Nazis and Noz Bols in the Russian separatist units and Wagner Group right? I rather have the Azoz busy fighting invading Russian forces than harassing and attacking Ukrainian minorities and leftists. 

I have zero problems with Nazis getting killed but it's absurd to wish that when the cause is a literal imperialist army trying to take over another country. To wish Azov unit deaths is to also wish the deaths of Ukrainian soldiers and civilians simply trying to defend their country and defend their lives. 

Edited by joshuatxuk
typo / wording
  • Like 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-statement-ukraine-crisis-would-never-have-happened-if-president-2022-2

Trump, who was impeached for withholding nearly $400 million in military aid from Ukraine, said 'this deadly Ukraine situation would never have happened' if he were in office

As well, a reminder that:

• Trump wanted to dismantle NATO, which would help Putin
  • Trump wanted to bring Russia back to G7, which would help Putin
  • Trump withdrew from Open Skies surveillance treaty, which helped Putin

Much more here: https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/t11uq0/trump_who_was_impeached_for_withholding_nearly/hydu4ke/

Yes it's a reddit post - a lot of it is very easy to find evidence for.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Plum said:

The Ghost of Kyiv is a cool motherfucker. 

Even if it's pure fiction it's effective moral boosting and lore. Previous aces were often considered myth until verification months and years later. It's also very plausible that one pilot is doing multiple sorties a day. 

I have no doubt some Ukrainian pilot(s) have shot down Russian planes, they are outnumbered but Ukrainian anti-aircraft assets on the ground are effective and the MiG-29s, which normally are limited in combat to short ranges, are effective if used in domestic airspace for interceptions - it's what they were designed to do. Besides helos Russia is using air assets with a lot of caution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Finland had no gains in joining NATO, only potential drawbacks, same with Sweden. Putin has literally said if Ukraine joined NATO it'd prompt them to consider activating nuclear forces and if a post-Ukraine member NATO moved in to take back Crimea he'd use a nuclear strike. 

I'm sure any Finns here can pop in with way more insight but their stance has always been to avoid being tied down with NATO commitments and hard pivoting to the US and instead keeping their small active forces at home so they can guide and direct reserves if needed in a potential conflict with Russia. For example when Russia invaded Ossesstia/North Georgia more than 1,000 active Georgian troops were literally deployed in Iraq as a "NATO partner" mission to train and get experience.

Finland not joining NATO has more to do with Finlandization, Soviet-Finnish relationship and the trauma caused by that than any kind of idealism. For example Finland could never have joined EU if Soviet Union didn't dissolve and absolve Finland from the Finno-Soviet treaties. Why Finland didn't then apply to join NATO after the Soviet Union collapsed like the Baltic countries did? I think it's more to do with the myth of neutrality created during the Soviet times. Finland used to be under a sphere of heavy Soviet influence and had very little space to move in international politics which was played out to be "neutrality" which was in turn then fed as a story to the Finnish people. Finland was "independent" and "neutral" but the USSR just happened to dictate who's the president here and what can be written in press..

Sweden was always probably more truly neutral player. But the history and geopolitical position of Sweden is very different from Finland so lumping together Finnish and Swedish foreign politics, esp. towards Russia, doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Putin has literally said if Ukraine joined NATO it'd prompt them to consider activating nuclear forces and if a post-Ukraine member NATO moved in to take back Crimea he'd use a nuclear strike. 

i think that's his excuse. ukraine still cannot join NATO because it fails to meet a few of the conditions for membership; not to mention zekenskyy has said joining NATO was still "a dream" for them, so i think even he knew it was a long way off. this conflict with .ru will now only make it even more difficult and considering putin has moldovia and belarus' compliance it's really a matter of how long ukraine can hold putin back while the west keeps sanctions going. 

but my guess is that putin has calculated that measure. this would be a really good time for china to let us know where they stand, because if they decided to do their own invasion into taiwan, we're all signing up for WW3