IGNORED

GAS — GAS (1996, 2024 repress)

• someguy changed the title to GAS — GAS (1996, 2024 repress)

I’ve been following the original LP on discogs for years. I am glad this is  getting a physical repress. I couldn’t bring myself to buying something I wouldn’t listen to regularly but would entirely enjoy, at the discogs price. 

This, Narkopop, and Pop are my favorite GAS releases. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered this when I got the email from bandcamp a while back. Excited to fill in the last gap of all the GAS albums on vinyl. I have BOX (Zauberberg, Königsforst, Oktember EP, Pop), as well as the annoying book format Narkopop, and the normal sleeved Rausch, and Der Lange Marsch (which, somehow, despite being a first press before it was "patched", does not have the high pitched whine, at least to my ears. I definitely heard it on the digital version however).

Just need a reissue of the Modern EP and I'm set. Well... that and a compilation of the Pop Ambient tracks and the GAS album released under Wolfgang Voigt's name as well would be nice but that's just nitpicking.

For such a immersive series of albums, vinyl is kind of an odd choice due to the flipping (and the aesthetic choice not to label sides, I have to check the runout etching each time. Been thinking of making some sort of elaborate post-it note system to remind myself), but each vinyl version is slightly longer than the digital versions, and often has extra tracks (like Narkopop) so IMO they're worth tracking down

• Like 3

hey i know we should buy this, but I'd be really pleased with the MP3 files if someone could share them 🙏—the samples sound a lot better than those in Nah Und Fern.

Edited by geosmina
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, geosmina said:

untitled 6 is THE music that sounds so similar to my own soul... Such an important track to me...

Autechre’s all end reminds me of that track

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1724173719518265.thumb.jpeg.97601600f148170c7160d86891e3a3fc.jpeg

Here it is! Limited edition with yellow records and a poster art by the man himself! What a beauty!

• Like 4

Dude has f'd with his canon more than George "Motherfucking" Lucas.  Jah bless ya Wierdo Wolfie, still forever indebted for the copy of Las Vegas I randomly found for $3 at a Newbury Comics.

I've decided to follow the Nah Und Fern timeline since it was my first foray and much enjoyed at the time (and thereafter). This Discogs comment hits:

So...

There's "Gas" by Gas (AKA Wolfgang Voigt), and there's "Gas" by Wolfgang Voigt (AKA Gas).
"Gas" by Wolfgang Voigt (AKA Gas) features the track "Nah Und Fern", also a title on the 4 track vinyl compilation "Nah Und Fern" by Gas (AKA Wolfgang Voigt), but these appear to be separate tracks; the CD version of "Nah Und Fern" (The album by Gas (AKA Wolfgang Voigt), not the track by Wolfgang Voigt (AKA Gas)) is essentially a box-set of Gas' first 4 albums, none of which contain a track called "Nah Und Fern". Also it is worth noting that a few untitled tracks from the original releases have either been remixed or extended, or else swapped out for different untitled tracks on the CD compilation, and that all tracks on all 4 albums are untitled.

Glad that's that cleared up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Big Brain 1

tracks on this release are the original ones, full-length (extended?), remastered, beautifully pressed = the best version so far imo

I have something possibly interesting (very personal tho) to share with you regarding this cover art.

Not too long ago, I was in a state of a minor romantic heartbreak, and every time I saw this cover art, my heart almost exploded. I didn’t have such a reaction to anything else, not to other images, music, or words, but for some reason, I couldn’t look at this cover without feeling the pain! After the crisis passed, I no longer had such reactions, and now, when I look at the cover, I don’t understand why I reacted so intensely and exclusively to it, but at the moment was so intense. Maybe it’s the yellow color, and now I notice that there is a heart painted on the cover, as if it’s submerged in that deep yellow color. I conclude that perhaps the cover’s artist experienced something similar because I obviously resonated with this beautiful piece of art. I mean, art should have that kind of effect and function, shouldn’t it? Now that I think about it, someone once told me that, for example, yellow roses symbolize a broken heart.

As for the music, I have no additional words - pure genius and my favorite GAS release.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Dude has f'd with his canon more than George "Motherfucking" Lucas.  Jah bless ya Wierdo Wolfie, still forever indebted for the copy of Las Vegas I randomly found for $3 at a Newbury Comics.

I've decided to follow the Nah Und Fern timeline since it was my first foray and much enjoyed at the time (and thereafter). This Discogs comment hits:

Every once in a while — when it put some Gas on — I tell to myself I should work out a tidy little graph to sort out the difference between releases. But because of what's playing I just zone out into a dark gaseous forest and never get to it.

Edited by aencre
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, aencre said:

Every once in a while — when it put some Gas on — I tell to myself I should work out a tidy little graph to sort out the difference between releases. But because of what's playing I just zone out into a dark gaseous forest and never get to it.

that's the back lodge effect 🙂

• Farnsworth 2

CD arrived today. Probably should have got the vinyl...

It's been a while since I've listened to this version, prefer it to special directors cut on Nah und Fern. Track 1 & 3 are the standouts. 

Mr Roderick Julian Modell was certainly influenced by track 3, thought I was listening to a Deepchord track for a moment. 

• Like 1