IGNORED

Introduce me to Autechre

Guest Wall Bird

Guest Wall Bird

So I've decided that now is the time to start listening to Autechre. I need suggestions on what I should listen to first. I'm sure that there are different phases or styles that the band went through, so if you could help to sum those up for me, as well, that would really help me figure out where to begin listening. Thanks for the help.

chiastic slide (album) and cichlisuite (ep) would be, i think, a good place to start. kinda mid career and about the middle of the ae spectrum, both are similar because they were released close together

Yup, mid period Autechre is the shit.

Envane--->Chiastic Slide--->Cichli Suite--->LP5

All awesome and really shows a progression

I would suggest their 3 first LPs: Incunabula, Amber and Tri Repetae++.

I personally think this is important to listen their stuff chronogically.

can't agree more, middle autechre you can't go wrong with.
Yup. Envane is the way to go.

And let's not forget Anvil Vapre......and Garbage.....

and incunabula, amber, tri repetae, chiastic slide, cichli suite, lp5, EP7, Draft 7:30, Gantz Graf, Confield, Anti EP, blahblahblahblah itsallgreat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest transfer

I personally think this is important to listen their stuff chronogically.

Defintely true.

I agree.......If you love music.

• 2 weeks later...

lp5, garbage, and anvil vapre are my favourites but i'd go with the chronological suggestion

also, get the glasgow 05 soundboard recording. you won't regret it.

edit: and keynell era gescom stuff

i'd suggest lp5. its mid-period, so you can get a feel for both where theyre coming from and where theyre going to. i think its a pretty immediate album, usually it takes months to get my head around a new Ae lp, but this was accesable. almost so much that i prefered the weirdness of gescoms minidisc which came out at the same time.

its accesable, but reveals loads of hidden surprises as you listen more closely. its indicative of their direction with software over hardware, which i think is really important for post-chiastic slide stuff. and aesthetically, where lots of their lps are dense, "cathedral of sound"-type jobbies, this is more like music made of ultra-fine, crystalline lasers.

i once had a brilliant experience listening to it on mushrooms, introducing it to a friend (he reckoned it was a transcendental experience, the most unique musical thing to hit him in years!)... i can see how it got thom yorke so ecxited and inspired.

finally, drane is easily one of their most heartachingly melancholy melodies ever.

Archived