IGNORED

trackers

Guest dnoyes

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
great program

i'm still mourning the fact my atari's disk drive ate up about 20 songs in varying states of finishing. i'm too scared to do stuff with it now.

you should backup your disks on your pc using windows floppy disk copy or something. i use it on an emulated atari myself but thinking about getting a hardware one for using mYM midi-controlled.

Well, after using reason for 3-4 years, and after a laptop destroying coffee spill, I have been forced to install Renoise on my g/f's computer last week. While at first it was quite daunting (mainly the appearance), I am beginning to get quite a handle on it. Really, once I figured out how to enter notes on the damn thing, and then how to retrigger, It's not that hard at all. Don't get me wrong, I still like Reason more, but try doing THIS (see below) in Reason in 5 minutes or less. You can't, It's impossible.

DISCLAIMER: The following is just fucking around with an Amen after 4 days of messing with Renoise - Nothing more.

Well, after using reason for 3-4 years, and after a laptop destroying coffee spill, I have been forced to install Renoise on my g/f's computer last week. While at first it was quite daunting (mainly the appearance), I am beginning to get quite a handle on it. Really, once I figured out how to enter notes on the damn thing, and then how to retrigger, It's not that hard at all. Don't get me wrong, I still like Reason more, but try doing THIS (see below) in Reason in 5 minutes or less. You can't, It's impossible.

DISCLAIMER: The following is just fucking around with an Amen after 4 days of messing with Renoise - Nothing more.

Exactly how i feel.

The only problem i have with renoise is its midi quantization, either i can't figure it out or it just sucks balls.

Luckily i don't use my keyboard too often, but when i need it i'm best sticking to reason.

Use Renoise for all my beats now, as I may have mentioned. Mainly because the first time I tried it out experimentally after a few hours I had made the best amen I've ever made. I really get on with the interface and it's taught me a bit more about trackers than I knew before. Also the ammount of CPU it takes up is nice, I could use it easily on some of my shittest computers and out on the move when I've only got access to a P2 or whatever. Heard lots of people mentioning it on EKT but didn't try it out properly until I saw this thread.

Really, once I figured out how to enter notes on the damn thing, and then how to retrigger, It's not that hard at all.

who needs retriggering at speed 3 & 700 bpm? :laughing:

Exactly how i feel.

The only problem i have with renoise is its midi quantization, either i can't figure it out or it just sucks balls.

Luckily i don't use my keyboard too often, but when i need it i'm best sticking to reason.

midi quantisation in a tracker? wouldn't you just wan't to delete the offset field (or maybe its called delay)? Sorry I've never used renoise I prefer piano roll. How does this sort of thing work in renoise?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way of turning VSTs on and off via automation? I usually had to have a VST that had a parameter that was "ammount" or "bypass". With those that didn't I could see no way of turning the VST on and off in the automation bit, unless I was being retarded. I really do prefer to use effect commands for VST control though - it's "less smooth" to do it that way but I kind of prefer it being less smooth, infact that's what I was aiming for. If there was a fade in though I probably would do it with automation because of all those nice curves (lol) Renoise gives you.

Guest Adjective
Is there any way of turning VSTs on and off via automation? I usually had to have a VST that had a parameter that was "ammount" or "bypass". With those that didn't I could see no way of turning the VST on and off in the automation bit, unless I was being retarded. I really do prefer to use effect commands for VST control though - it's "less smooth" to do it that way but I kind of prefer it being less smooth, infact that's what I was aiming for. If there was a fade in though I probably would do it with automation because of all those nice curves (lol) Renoise gives you.

i'm at work so i can't reference Renoise parts by name but something like:

meta device - automate vst? :you can expand this a ton i believe and through drop-downs assign which parameters you're wanting to automate. then in automation view, all the paramaters you chose with the meta device will be listed and you can fill in whatever curves you like. most effects will have a wet / dry parameter and you could automate this from 100% to 0 most likely, to have smooth off / on's.

edit: maybe i'm not sure what you're asking either though. i would think the only smooth off and on would be automating through an "amount" type parameter

Archived