IGNORED

Autechre Encounters

six

I was wearing my Gantz Graf t-shirt on the subway yesterday and some dude came up to me and told me he had just moved to NYC and was a big fan of Autechre and wanted to know more about the scene in NYC. Told him I had met Machine Drum the week before and he got all pumped and was asking more about teh local IDMz. Nice to meet a fellow fan randomly, our numbers are growing...

Think this might count as an actual close encounter of the third kind.....

On the saturday morning of bloc weekend, I decided to leg it down to the town to get grub and cans. On the way back, I couldn't find my chalet (or my senses, as i was still a bit pissed from the night before)...so I was bombing around trying to figure out where i was.

I walked around a corner and saw a familiar face bolting up one of stairways to the upper chalets....

"Em....sorry?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you Rob Brown?"

"Yeah..."

"Oh Jesus dude, I'm a huge fan of you guys"

"Oh really? Cool"

"Yeah, me and my mates came over to see you guys play, we caught you in Dublin and Manchester too, we can't wait for the gig tonight"

"Great"

"Any chance of you guys comin over to Ireland again soon?"

"Yeah, well we love it over there"

"Great, well, can't wait for tonight! Cheers!"

"Cool man, take it easy".......

:omg:

Then, later on me and a friend we drinking a few pints waiting for Clark to start, and me friend ran off to go for to the loo, and ten seconds after he did so, Rob, Sean and this bird walked past. I thought "Fuck!".....and childishly ran over to Sean.

"Sorry mate, I couldn't grab a light off ya?"

He pulled out his lighter and started clicking it, but it wouldn't light.....he mumbled something and passed me the lighter. Thankfully, the lighter lit straight away, I lit my smoke and said "Cheers, good luck with the gig". He just replied "Thanks mate" or something to that effect.

Then my mate got back.....I said "Man, where the hell where you?!??! Autechre just walked past" to which he replied "Ah for fuck's sake, why the hell did I have to go for a shit!!!"....

So we sat back down, and continued drinking our pints. Then, about ten minutes later, we looked to the left of us, and Sean Booth was sitting on a step about four foot away from us. We conferred for a minute as to whether it was him or not (he looks kinda different than in photos).....and then my mate said "ah, fuck this, I have to talk to him" and bodded and chatted to him for a minute. He seemed pretty sound, very mellow.

All of this blew our minds of course.

Guest Enter a new display name

What, you wear a Gantz Graf t-shirt? I would be really pleased if you sent a picture of this! :turned: BTW I have never met anyone who likes Autechre, I'm sad...

one time, I bought an autechre album in the store and the guy pronounced the name right. Thats about as far as I have got.

one time, I bought an autechre album in the store and the guy pronounced the name right. Thats about as far as I have got.

Once I was shopping for cds, and I asked the guy if they had any autechre, and he looked in his computer and said "All we have is their untitled album."

i told this story a couple of times already... so i'll give the short version:

driving... the trees playing full blast... pulled into subway... parked the car... skaterboy comes up to me... "dude that was autechre!"

i told this story a couple of times already... so i'll give the short version:

driving... the trees playing full blast... pulled into subway... parked the car... skaterboy comes up to me... "dude that was autechre!"

What, gangstas listen Autechre?

What, you wear a Gantz Graf t-shirt? I would be really pleased if you sent a picture of this! :turned: BTW I have never met anyone who likes Autechre, I'm sad...

http://www.cafepress.com/gantzgraf

http://www.cafepress.com/draft730

Two shirts I designed. I also have a more cleaned up streamlined version of the Draft design as a tattoo

Think this might count as an actual close encounter of the third kind.....

On the saturday morning of bloc weekend, I decided to leg it down to the town to get grub and cans. On the way back, I couldn't find my chalet (or my senses, as i was still a bit pissed from the night before)...so I was bombing around trying to figure out where i was.

I walked around a corner and saw a familiar face bolting up one of stairways to the upper chalets....

"Em....sorry?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you Rob Brown?"

"Yeah..."

"Oh Jesus dude, I'm a huge fan of you guys"

"Oh really? Cool"

"Yeah, me and my mates came over to see you guys play, we caught you in Dublin and Manchester too, we can't wait for the gig tonight"

"Great"

"Any chance of you guys comin over to Ireland again soon?"

"Yeah, well we love it over there"

"Great, well, can't wait for tonight! Cheers!"

"Cool man, take it easy".......

:omg:

Then, later on me and a friend we drinking a few pints waiting for Clark to start, and me friend ran off to go for to the loo, and ten seconds after he did so, Rob, Sean and this bird walked past. I thought "Fuck!".....and childishly ran over to Sean.

"Sorry mate, I couldn't grab a light off ya?"

He pulled out his lighter and started clicking it, but it wouldn't light.....he mumbled something and passed me the lighter. Thankfully, the lighter lit straight away, I lit my smoke and said "Cheers, good luck with the gig". He just replied "Thanks mate" or something to that effect.

Then my mate got back.....I said "Man, where the hell where you?!??! Autechre just walked past" to which he replied "Ah for fuck's sake, why the hell did I have to go for a shit!!!"....

So we sat back down, and continued drinking our pints. Then, about ten minutes later, we looked to the left of us, and Sean Booth was sitting on a step about four foot away from us. We conferred for a minute as to whether it was him or not (he looks kinda different than in photos).....and then my mate said "ah, fuck this, I have to talk to him" and bodded and chatted to him for a minute. He seemed pretty sound, very mellow.

All of this blew our minds of course.

Awesome story, so cool that you got to meet them

once i painted my entire bathroom and listened to draft and untilted really really loud. later autechre is good bathroom-paintin' music/

Guest earlgrey

I've only met one person who independently had a strong grasp on AE's catalogue. It was not longer after Draft 7.30 came out, before I picked it up. We discussed Confield a lot, agreeing it was excellent, and geeked each other out by talking about the tracks from it by name, not by track number. :alien:

Two shirts I designed. I also have a more cleaned up streamlined version of the Draft design as a tattoo

those are pretty awesome. I might get one.

I'm so buying one of those shirts. Fucking hell.

I love you Six, we don't talk these days man. I forgot to mention I got my college tutor into Machine Drum, top stuff!

those are pretty awesome. I might get one.

yeah... i'm down with one of those draft ones... i'll order it when i arrive to orlando!

I was standing in front of Trees in May of 2005 where AE, Rob Hall & SND were going to be playing at that night when several guys walked up to me and asked

"Hey, are you going to the gig here tonight? Autechre and Rob hall?"

And I said, "Yeah!"

"Shit,, you realize its only 5pm?"

"I don't have a car, and I had to get dropped off early." (The actual reason is because I was so excited for the gig)

"Well, you might like to know, we just saw them in Cafe Brazil. It's 2 doors down."

I felt my bowels loosen almost immediately, I struggled not to shoot my underpants with feces or inundate my trousers with crap. Not really, but, holy shit! Autechre are the best music in the world, and it seemed like a chance I'd regret not taking, so I decided I'd go and bother them, even though the last thing they probably wanted was a dehydrated, scatterbrained fan to go and bother them while they're having coffee. I asked those guys who told me of AE's whereabouts to come with me so I wouldn't look like a complete low-life!

I walked into that mother fucking place and acted like a complete low-life. Lo' and behold Autechre, Rob Hall, Mat Steele (SP?) and Mark Fell are sitting there staring at their computers, and I act just like the low-life loser cunt-faced assclown I promised I wouldn't be. How could I help it? Autechre is the best shit in the world. I gave them some posters and flyers I designed for their show, got my Untilted & Confield signed and was on my way. They are all cool guys and didn't seem to be put off at all by ridiculous fandom. It likely seemed as if I'd just eaten some speed. I had the posters laminated too so they wouldnt get ripped or anything like that and I think they thought that was funny

As for that gig, I shouldn't even get into it as this thread topic is about run-ins w/ the guys and I could type pages about that music

I bothered them again for a bit after the Austin show the following day, and I think mat Steel called me the laminator. I grouped with like 5 or 6 other people and were leaving until we saw Sean sitting outside after the show smoking a cigarette. Tactically surrounding him, we commenced the standard, RETARDED fan interrogation. Rob Brown, Rob Hall & SND walked out and saw this and joined in on surrounding Sean and interrogating which was pretty funny. This post is way too long

if it was squarepusher, he would have just punched you and the story would be about three lines long.

Wrong. He would have said "Helloooow, my name's Thomas Jenkinson".

and then he would punch you

hahaha didn't tom uppercut pomme de terre or something

yeah. i believe the relevant exchange was something like

'hey tom can i have a photo with you'

'NO !'

*tries for photo anyway*

*punch*

Squarepuncher, with all the different styles of fist-to-face

lol

Where are you taking that punch from? Did Squarepusher ever punch anyone or what?

Archived