IGNORED

Autechre Discography Progression

woofer

Doesn't it seems like Autechre is winding down or something. I was disappointed to discover the other day that my favorite album (which seems to be the best - filled with good textures, new ideas, and diverse tunes) Incunabula is listed as their first album release by wikipedia. If the better albums were listed as more recent on the discographic chronography, then I would have more hope for great new autechre sounds. Who else thinks their best albums were the early ones? I just can't wait until the next content filled album is released by one of this forum's big three.

Doesn't it seems like Autechre is winding down or something. I was disappointed to discover the other day that my favorite album (which seems to be the best - filled with good textures, new ideas, and diverse tunes) Incunabula is listed as their first album release by wikipedia. If the better albums were listed as more recent on the discographic chronography, then I would have more hope for great new autechre sounds. Who else thinks their best albums were the early ones? I just can't wait until the next content filled album is released by one of this forum's big three.

electronic music as a genre is dying, or haven't you heard? Fans are doing all sorts of desperate things to avoid facing the inevitable. Some have even gone so far as to proclaim dubstep "good."

Guest Enter a new display name
electronic music isn't dead.

the hype is dead.

Incunabula is AE's worst album.

I agree with all those facts, except that Untilted is perhaps their worst album along with Incunabula. Nevertheless, Incunabula's got some killer tracks, like Basscadet and particularly Windwind!

electronic music has been one of the few genres lucky enough to never become "popular enough" for complete bastardization/ commercialization, thus there are still new artists interested in continuing to innovate.

We'll I love Tri Repetea++ too. We must have significantly different tastes:

One of you cited basscadet and windwind as the best tracks on Incunabula, but to me they seem to be most repetitive - and cannot touch tracks with the depth, complexity, and texture of autechre, kalpol introl, and garbagemx36.

So, what do you think the top 3 autechre albums are then (I'm thinking Incunabula, Tri repetae++, and Amber)?

It's a tough choice. I think I would say 1. Confield 2. LP5 3. Tri Repetae

But I want to put Draft 7.30 up there. It's my favorite album.

i'm the post tri repetae fan... i have amber and incunabula... but i listen to those the least!

woofer said something about winding down... but it has been a total progression since the days of amber!

To woofer - if you really like incunabula, check out the rest of their outpt circa then (Anti, Basscadet EPs; Cavity Job) as well as the rest of the early Warp catalog. I think you'll find there's plenty of material there to keep you entertained for quite a while. I'm always on the lookout for the new releases too, but I also need to remind myself that there's a shitload of great older music and other artists out there that I've yet to explore!

IMHO Incunabula really feels like proto-Ae. The elements are there but haven't quite congealed to become what we now know Autechre to be. By no means is it a bad album though!

So, what do you think the top 3 autechre albums are then (I'm thinking Incunabula, Tri repetae++, and Amber)?

Draft is my favorite. Confield is my second. Untilted is my third. Autechre are still awesome.

It's a tough choice. I think I would say 1. Confield 2. LP5 3. Tri Repetae

My top trois: LP5, Amber, Chiastic Slide (Draft being a close 4th).

Least favorite LP: Confield * thinks about ducking, then doesn't! *

I think it'd be hard to find two fans w/ the same top 3 - to me this is part of what makes Ae great, that their music is so open to one's own interpretations/feelings. Like I still don't understand why someayouz go apeshit over Confield, but I can respect it nonetheless!

Lets not we forget the EPs either, some of my favorite Autechre is on those (not to mention Gescom...)

Personally I'm really fascinated by the progression of their sound, I mean it began as an amalgamation of "human" elements/influences (ambient, electro, hiphop, etc) and over the years has been gradually deconstructed into something more machine than man. Cool. This may be a wild association on my part, but I see a lot of parallels between the mutation of Ae's sound and the progressive influence of technology in creating a more detatched society. Plus they make some fucking sick beats.

Guest Enter a new display name
1. Confield

2. Tri Repetae

3. Chiastic Slide

People from the same town have the same tastes! :beer:

Another Draft fan! It's my favorite because it is the most stimulating. It's easiest to get a lot of work done if Draft in on, compared to any other cd I know. Cichlisuite is as stimulating, but it's shorter.

Confield is an amazing album, but it isn't as stimulating because of Pen Expers and Uviol. Pen Expers sounds angry, and Uviol sounds horny, so it's hard to get any work done when either one is playing. Draft never gets pissed of or horny.

Damn that makes me sound like the guy who wrote the creepy Autechre review.

Another Draft fan! It's my favorite because it is the most stimulating. It's easiest to get a lot of work done if Draft in on, compared to any other cd I know. Cichlisuite is as stimulating, but it's shorter.

Confield is an amazing album, but it isn't as stimulating because of Pen Expers and Uviol. Pen Expers sounds angry, and Uviol sounds horny, so it's hard to get any work done when either one is playing. Draft never gets pissed of or horny.

Damn that makes me sound like the guy who wrote the creepy Autechre review.

Albums are good if you can get work done while listening to them.

no, albums are good if you can sit and listen to them without having to do something else to keep your three year old brain occupied.

no, albums are good if you can sit and listen to them without having to do something else to keep your three year old brain occupied.

My three year old brain has been pretty busy lately so I don't get much time to do that.

Archived