IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest Ron Manager

BAD%20PHARMA%20jkt.jpg

Highly recommend this book, only 1/4 way though but really well written thus far.

Saw this was out. I've read Bad Science, I regularly read his columns, and I've even seen him give a talk. Not sure there's much more to be gained from reading this one for me...

If you like him, I strongly recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reckoning-Risk-Learning-Live-Uncertainty/dp/0140297863/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351007004&sr=1-1

that's it. book 2 - high society, is already a whole lot better than book 1^~^

the series is amazing. Some of the finest work ever put out in a graphic novel.

They sound very interesting. From what's on wiki and a few trawls over the interweb, I think I'll give them a go. Is it worth starting from issue 1 or just jump in wherever?

I'm only on book 2 and probably not the best person to ask.

I'm a bit of a completist though, and felt it was necessary to tackle it from the beginning. I enjoyed a few moments in Book 1, but overall the book definitely dragged and the stories felt disjointed. Most of the stories were along the lines of 'Cerebus gets money', 'Cerebus loses money', back and forth again.

Book 2 has focused on the one continuing story of Cerebus joining a political campaign and running for Prime Minister, and has been a real pleasure to read^^. There are some recurring characters and references that had been introduced in Book 1, but overall i can't imagine you'd really be missing all that much.

Ok thanks. I might go straight to 2. They're not the cheapest books to get hold of but hopefully a couple will be worth it to get me going.

At what point in Cerberus does Cerberus devolve into a work about how Dave Sims is terrified of "feminist-homosexualists"?

I remember Jaka's Story being universally praised, but upon hearing that praise I dipped into Cerberus in the utter shit wingnut phase, and slowly backed out of the comix store.

Edited by baph

9780385489843.jpg

cool, first hand testimony of how jim jones managed to convince a bunch of everyday people to join him to build a peaceful utopia out in the jungle then finally drink from a vat of cyanide laced kool aid because the united states government was onto him.

sporadically jumping through these:

Jeff Vandermeer - Veniss Underground

Umberto Eco - The Prague Cemetery, Apocalypse Postponed

John Saul - Shadows

Neal Stephenson - Cobweb

William Gibson - Pattern Recognition

...and some other

GoT: Book #2 - A Clash of Kings

Nearly finished this, seems to have taken near half the book to forge any pace and I was going through the motions a bit however, the second half opens up and explodes in some fashion.

I'm following the approach of reading a book and then watching the series relative to each after finishing them. I don't know how i'll hold up after watching the 2nd series..

I just finished SAS Warlord: Shoot to Kill by Tom Siegriste. It was an interesting read, but not particularly well written or satisfying in the end.

@logakght: I really enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, proper magic realism with an intricate story line that pays off in the end. Hope you finish it. hehe

n221684.jpg

kinda cool book. 3rd time reading it. basically, a bunch of humans are sent to this dyson sphere shaped like a helix to look for a new planet for humans to exist on- then they come across the star wars type universe without "the force"

Just finished Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

Fantastic. Seriously thought-provoking and inspiring. So much original culture.

Reading The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams (author of Watership Down). It's about two dogs who escape from an animal testing laboratory in the Lake District and go on the run in the countryside, trying to survive as wild animals. But they're ruthlessly hunted down by the human authorities who suspect they may be infected with a bioweapon based on the bubonic plague.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. As with Watership Down the 'culture' of the animals is very well-realised and believable, and the suffering they endure is hugely affecting for any animal lover. It's a remarkably sad novel.

But it's let down by a slow pace, some turgid cod-Romantic prose and some especially rubbish dialogue between the human characters. Adams feels the need to describe everybody's tone and physical reaction to each statement, even when it's bleeding obvious from what's being said.

Going to persevere with it, though - I love the dogs too much. Although I don't think things will end well for them.

Guest Franklin

currently still reading Pinker's "The better angels of our nature" on the startling drop in violence in modern times.

have also started "The Secret Race" by Tyler Hamilton who was a tour de france winner and olympic gold medalist who lost both after testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. this is the book that is one of the accounts that drowned Lance and cycling in general as ALL major riders have been doping since the 80s basically. Very very cool to remember back to those early years of the american teams (being a canadian those teams got coverage over here whereas the euro teams were only seen during the tours) starting to get better and then dominate the field.

Also getting primed to read Daniel Kahneman's book "thinking fast and slow". this is some of the work he received the nobel prize in ecomonics for. this is going to be a top-shelf read.

no fiction lately.

Finished The Gone-Away World on Saturday, read the Call of Cthulhu last night, probably continuing with HP Lovecraft today. Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow are gathering dust, and will probably continue to do so.

Just finished:

Defining Engagement: Japan and Global Contexts, 1640-1868.

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea

Dead Aid: Why Aid is not Working and how there is a Better Way for Africa

Defining Engagement was very good, an interesting look at Japanese foreign relations during most of the Tokugawa Period.

Nothing to Envy was sensationalist dogshit.

Dead Aid was interesting (although flawed in parts) in its critique of aid, but fails badly in economic prescriptions for Africa. Also totally ignores importance of political infrastructure and institutions.

Next up - a bunch of books on the agricultural revolution in britain. I'm kind of not really excited about them lol. Economic History is mostly about as exciting as watching paint dry.