IGNORED

Glade 2008

Guest Jimbob

Guest Jimbob

Right, I know many people thought last year was a bit wank due to the weather, sound levels, Snares being a bitch etc etc, but this year is looking like a cracker. The weather looks to be pretty stunning, they've upgraded the rigs in the Overkill tent, the Bangface lot will be working their madness, the capacity has been dropped to 12000 which obviously frees up space for decibel levels, Remarc, Autechre, Hellfish, Rob Hall, Vex'd, Jeff Mills, Surgeon, Clarke and fuck loads more.

Looks pretty damn good to me, who else is heading that way?

p.s. no I won't get you a soundboard recording :beer:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

Nah I'm not returning, I had two good years at Glade and one pretty crummy one but last year was really very traumatic for me, it was key in a series of events which led to the destruction of my relationship with my ex, and eventually quitting WATMM in a hissy fit. There was NO summer 2007 for me.

I might go back in the future but frankly it would bring too much back for me at the moment. No festivals at all this summer - I'm taking a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads like some elderly couple.

Guest Iain C

There's not too much to tell really, I'm being slightly melodramatic I guess. The weather was shit all the time, things with my girl were on the rocks, everything I was looking forward to (like Glade) got fucked up somehow. I was very miserable up until about February, March of this year to be totally honest.

And now I'm posting on WATMM again, so everything's obviously brilliant.

Guest Iain C

Although if you want to know exactly how bad Glade was, I woke up on Friday morning with an inch of water in my tent, my girlie and I had no clean or dry clothes, money or food. We had to walk home through waist-high floodwater in our underwear, with our only trousers held above our heads to keep them dry. The train station was flooded and we had to get a £50 taxi just to the nearest hotel that wasn't full of flooded-out residents. Then we had a sort of shouty argument on the Tube, and that was the last I saw of her for a few weeks. bad vibes.

Although if you want to know exactly how bad Glade was, I woke up on Friday morning with an inch of water in my tent, my girlie and I had no clean or dry clothes, money or food. We had to walk home through waist-high floodwater in our underwear, with our only trousers held above our heads to keep them dry. The train station was flooded and we had to get a £50 taxi just to the nearest hotel that wasn't full of flooded-out residents. Then we had a sort of shouty argument on the Tube, and that was the last I saw of her for a few weeks. bad vibes.

your story is 90% the same as mine. except with more added foot infections.

wont be going to glade again, basically.

Guest blutac

I had a gd time despite the weather, but don't think the lineup justifies the ticket price this year. If its nice weather I may try and hop the fence

Not this year, already had a great time at bloc and bangface earlier in the year, and glade last year was a bit shit.

I'm not slagging it off, it's just a bit too broad to justify me spending that much cash on it - im not a fan of nu breaks or psytrance and they're always the two tents with the biggest sound, you can hear the fucking psytrance stage EVERYWHERE on the site. And as we all know, psytrance is intolerable.

It was fantastic seeing mr 76ix in 05 (or 06? i cant remember), made up for the lack of aphex.

I wish he'd play more. Or release more.

Guest Dirty Protest

Im a bit meh to the line-up this year, dubstep is almost as intolerable as psy-trance. Glastonbury line up looks fucking brilliant, as long as you ignore the first 4 biggest stages.

Guest blutac

The first year I went Squarepusher and Aphex were headlining and it was £80. It's now £125!

And they say it's so expensive because they don't have corporate sponsorship. Does anyone really care!? I mean the "O2 Wireless" festival took it a bit far, but I wouldn't mind having a few logos around if it meant affordable tickets.

As I've got older festivals have become less and less about just the lineup, I reckon it's all about finding some cheap little festivals. Any suggestions?

My friend lives on a farm near Derby, she had a party last weekend where people camped and there was a marquee and sound system. Had a really good time makes me think that it's really not worth spending 120+ quid on tickets only to get ripped off on everything else you buy, when all you really need to do for the same experience is get all your mates together in a field with a decent soundsystem...

Anyone own a field we could have WATMM festival 2008 in?

Guest ComputerControlled

i went in 2006 and it was blinding. glad i gave it a miss in 2007, sounded like a nightmare... :devil:

shameless plug but anyone not going and wanting some quality electronic vibes on the 18th come to sequence in manchester... we have altern 8, godfather, luke slater, radioactive man etc etc........................

Maybe it's because the first 2 years had amazing line-ups (i missed last year), or because I'm getting out of touch that I wasn't particularly excited about this years lineup, but aside from Autechre and a few others, I just wasn't feeling like I wanted to blow £100+ on Glade this year. Sucks cause those first two years were brilliant.

you piss and try to avoid shitting in a portable toilet. there are lots of them around the site that start off not too bad and degenerate into some kind of shit covered isolation tank as the days go by.

last year i had to do a poo on the third day. i lifted the toilet seat and it was literally brimming full with shit, piss, tampons etc - but i had to go, so just curled one out on top a bit like an ice cream cone....

Guest Iain C
It's always so remarkable to me that you English can literally say, "ah, I'm full from Bloc and Bangface, no more thanks!" I'm not hatin'--it's just amazing.

For kicks, I tried to see what I might be looking at if my wife and I tried to go. For a roundtrip plane tickets, Glade tickets, a couple of nights at the shady looking Gatwick hotel, and camping gear, I came uo with 1,859.87 quid ($3,670.50). That doesn't include food, drugs, unexpected incidentals, and a car ride there. Did you see that bullshit 5 quid "Green Tax" if there's only 1 or 2 people in your vehicle. So, we would have to tag on $10 to an already huge cab fee if Iain C had to do 50 quid for a taxi to hotels.

I'd be dancing and chanting, "this is costing me $1,000 a day!"

P.S. Where the FUCK do you piss and shit? I'm not up for hepatitis or shigellosis or some other unknown hippy bug!

There are far closer hotels, they were just totally full of local residents who'd been flooded out of their homes so we had to take a taxi to Reading. Also, the "Green Tax" isn't bullshit, it's a brilliant idea. If you're flying, why fucking rent a car? The train will probably be cheaper and quicker. And, yes, greener.

And if you're not up for using a filthy portable toilet, you're simply not ready for the British festival experience.

Oh and the Glade toilets are pretty bad in my experience, I couldn't say so much for last year because I was only there for two days, but in previous years they simply weren't emptied often enough. Inside one of those bastards is not a good place to come up on acid.

Oh wait, I misread your post. If you're getting a TAXI there, well that's still pretty poor for the environment and bloody expensive, but the green tax is for people who are parking for the weekend. Although on a re-read your post looks kinda hypothetical anyway.

Guest Jimbob

Yeah, those toilets are fucked up, especially when it's dark.

I was pissed off every time i saw a dump on the side of the seat, then when i got round to doing one myself i missed and hit the seat instead. Oh the shame.

Messian, i was supposed to be working Leeds but ironically i couldn't get the bastard time off from my own job, fucking devestated. Got my deposit back minus £20 though so it's not all bad.

Archived