IGNORED

The arrogance of AE

MadnessR

Guest firefunker4

The original post is a contender for one of the most selfish & cry-baby postings I have seen in ages.

I'll leave out the obvious rebuttals and pose a larger hypothesis... as there are bands who not only allowed extensive soundboard bootlegs, but even encouraged it. Take the Grateful Dead. Their studio albums were very basic, even pretty weak... however, their live sets were so extended and developed jams- you could barely even recognise the original tunes. The difference is- their fans take the idea of devotion to a whole new level. Sure they would freely trade soundboard bootlegs of hundreds of concerts... but they also followed them around in caravans for decades at a time. In electronic music, great quality live recordings usually equate into one less reason for 'fans' to actually leave the house and go support.

I guarantee- if you could convince thousands of other Autechre fans to quit your jobs, and follow them from city to city to city- seeing every single concert they do for the next 10-20 years, Autechre will take notice and let soundboard recordings be distributed for free.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just an fyi guys, you don't have any rights ae's music. is it not enough that they are writing and sharing (imo) the best electronic music in existence?

maybe they feel in order to really get a feel for the music you have to be there, listening on a pa, in darkness, drunk with a room full of people. let them be creative and do things how they like to do it. if you guys want to become an electronic music pioneer and release all your live stuff go for it.

i think a lot of why people tend to like unreleased stuff better than the released product sometimes is precisely because of that 'rare' aspect to it.

Most definitely, I'm often conscious of that in my own appreciation of music.

just because you think it's their best stuff it doesn't mean THEY do.

By the way ieafs, when I quoted this the other day I was certainly agreeing with your point (I was a bit all over the place then and rambling a fair bit)

I remember luke warm crowd reactions when I saw them in the Untilted tour and at the Warehouse project with pretty much the same set a few months later however the album itself isn't bad at all it's a lot of it just not very dance floor friendly.

I think they would have got the same crowd reactions playing Quaristice in a more 'as is' fashion which is why thier live shows are now far more upbeat as you don't go to a club event to stand there scratching your chin all night!

My point is thier albums are more experimental for personal listening and the live shows are more rythmically constant to be more crowd friendly with a sprinkling of realtime experimentaion over the top to make it a worthwhile 'perfomance', saying that I would still kill for a proper live release however they must make more £ on the tours than sales and legit downloads especialy in these times.

Its kinda like why Jack Nicholson never appears on TV because he said then nobody would want to pay to see you when they can see you for free.

I think if Autechre were that arrogant they'd just do would do whatever they wanted on stage and not really give a fuck about what the crowd think which I feel they've certainly come away from especially on the Quaristice tour. I also like the fact that theor show constanly evolves in each performance which is a virtue of experimental electonic music.

Apologies if this seemed like a spoiled-brat diatribe. Just getting a bit worn out with having to go on to watmm whenever i wanna talk about the great stuff that the live sets entail. I totally respect how AE are very honest with what they release and don't pander to critics and people who want them to recreate Incunabula or LP5. They are the very definition of progressive artists. It seems very few (relatively) mainstream artists would have the cojones to put tracks like Fol3/4 on their albums. Fair fucks to them, but i'd still love to see their live material see the light of day at some point, because it shows us a wholly different side to autechre that we don't really get to see on their LPs, one that's crazy awesome. Happy christmas y'all anyhow

I've come back to set this thread straight...

Again, my question was WHY wouldn't they release their live stuff... I have heard NO ONE say that Quaristice is better than the live sets. NO ONE! The live set is better quality music. The best they've ever done. Why not give the fans what they want. Why not release it and let us love them for that. Anyone who has hear Pontin's set knows that one song ended up on Untilted. One song. Even Untilted was at least close to the Autechre I've been watching progress for 10 years. Quaristice is not good. Might have been ground breaking 15 years ago, but WTF? It's like The Beatles playing "Revolver" live and then releasing more "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" type of shit. Autechre is second (in my mind) only to RDJ. If they would properly release this stuff they might even be my number 1. That's why I must whine. That's Y I ask these questions. That's why I'm so confused about this whole deal...That's why I call it arrogance. I'm not trying to tell AE what type of music to make...They've already MADE it. I just want to HEAR it!

Guest moo duck

Again, my question was WHY wouldn't they release their live stuff... I have heard NO ONE say that Quaristice is better than the live sets. NO ONE! The live set is better quality music. The best they've ever done.

the best they've ever done? let's keep this straight, what are your favourite releases by them?

it's not difficult to say and even feel that Quaristice is better than live

Anyone who has hear Pontin's set knows that one song ended up on Untilted. One song. Even Untilted was at least close to the Autechre I've been watching progress for 10 years.

Sorry but that's wrong, there's a LOT of Untilted in that set, it's just so fucked up that you can't hear it at first. They must've screwed with their presets quite a lot.

I can hear LCC (obviously), Augmatic Disport, Fermium and Pro Radii at LEAST within that set. Chenc9, IO and The PLC also make their appearances.

Again, my question was WHY wouldn't they release their live stuff... I have heard NO ONE say that Quaristice is better than the live sets. NO ONE! The live set is better quality music. The best they've ever done. Why not give the fans what they want. Why not release it and let us love them for that. Anyone who has hear Pontin's set knows that one song ended up on Untilted. One song. Even Untilted was at least close to the Autechre I've been watching progress for 10 years. Quaristice is not good. Might have been ground breaking 15 years ago, but WTF? It's like The Beatles playing "Revolver" live and then releasing more "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" type of shit. Autechre is second (in my mind) only to RDJ. If they would properly release this stuff they might even be my number 1. That's why I must whine. That's Y I ask these questions. That's why I'm so confused about this whole deal...That's why I call it arrogance. I'm not trying to tell AE what type of music to make...They've already MADE it. I just want to HEAR it!

maybe try going to their live shows, then.

lol

Go to more?

Either way, quit whining. They're not going to release their live material, and even if they do, it won't be because you bitched and moaned about it.

Where do you hear fermium?

It's a hard one to hear, I'll give you a time point soon but there's a pattern from there near the middle point of the set. It's the part of Fermium where everything gets a bit warped - there's a kind of screeching sound that gets played on the last two beats and the first beat of the pattern if that's any help... like "Scree Scree SCREEECH" :undecided:

Guest nsixqatsi
Anyone who has hear Pontin's set knows that one song ended up on Untilted. One song. Even Untilted was at least close to the Autechre I've been watching progress for 10 years.

Sorry but that's wrong, there's a LOT of Untilted in that set, it's just so fucked up that you can't hear it at first. They must've screwed with their presets quite a lot.

I can hear LCC (obviously), Augmatic Disport, Fermium and Pro Radii at LEAST within that set. Chenc9, IO and The PLC also make their appearances.

I've never really listened to any of the live stuff.

can someone link me to this "Pontin's set" they are talking about?

Guest theSun
I did that before i posted.

I did ctrl-f and searched for "Pontin" and found nothing.

good fucking god man you haven't heard any live sets?

Guest Ultravisitor
They don't release material from their live shows because it is the only way they can still make money.

exactly, and besides, quaristice and quadrange are awesome. i still haven't given versions a proper listen

I did that before i posted.

I did ctrl-f and searched for "Pontin" and found nothing.

Duder, if you haven't got it already. It's on page three of the downloads, UK England Hemsby is the Pontins set.

Guest absolurde

do you really think that live sets and home listenings are the same context after saw them 3 times??

Oo

I've just sawn them in Genova for the quaristice tour and I never arrived to have the same "power", maybe I'm a loser, maybe...

Archived