IGNORED

The arrogance of AE

MadnessR

I was listening to Quarstice, Versions, and Quadrange tonight, determined to find something I liked in them. After wasting about 45 minutes doing that, I swiched to my Ontario Canada bootleg and had a deep thought. Why do electronic musicians not release their best music? I realize that it is their music, not mine. But the fans expect and DESERVE the best. We HELPED them get to where they are now. Why would they keep their best from us? I have seen AE live 3 times...every chance I could get. Their live music is amazing. Mind-blowing. It upsets me that I have to suffer through a crappy bootleg just to hear what I think is the best music being made right now. One of the reasons I listen to electronic music is the clarity and brilliance of the mixes. These albums are a joke...a slap in the face to the fans. If autechre released the stuff they do live, we would STILL be writing threads about these songs and how great they are. WTF? I mean, WTF? I just don't understand.... :cry:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because they want people to go to their live shows

If you had everything at home you would bother less to see them

DJs do that too so no fanboy warmup DJ can steal their show

Guest tbio2007
I was listening to Quarstice, Versions, and Quadrange tonight, determined to find something I liked in them. After wasting about 45 minutes doing that, I swiched to my Ontario Canada bootleg and had a deep thought. Why do electronic musicians not release their best music? I realize that it is their music, not mine. But the fans expect and DESERVE the best. We HELPED them get to where they are now. Why would they keep their best from us? I have seen AE live 3 times...every chance I could get. Their live music is amazing. Mind-blowing. It upsets me that I have to suffer through a crappy bootleg just to hear what I think is the best music being made right now. One of the reasons I listen to electronic music is the clarity and brilliance of the mixes. These albums are a joke...a slap in the face to the fans. If autechre released the stuff they do live, we would STILL be writing threads about these songs and how great they are. WTF? I mean, WTF? I just don't understand.... :cry:

I think your right to an extent, but sometimes they release live stuff like the last one on Confield, I would have liked a studio version.

imagine if they did like a small audience high quality live set in 5.1 surround ! can one of you fucks imagine that ? Shoryuken motherfuckers !!!!

Guest spraaaa

lol fuck yeah ^

I remember reading a quaristice interview where they said it started out as an attempt to get the live set down as a recording, but they got distracted/sidetracked and wrote a bunch of new stuff instead. if they weren't that easily distracted, maybe they wouldn't be creative enough for you to get pissed off that they aren't releasing everything. :undecided:

anyway all I can suggest is that you get a job at pontins holiday park

Yeah, as said above I wouldn't be surprised if they made most of their money from gigging now, so it would make sense to make the gigs more special than the actual releases.

Guest plangplang

STFU you silly cunts. What they're doing by not releasing/preventing taping of that material is highly effective. enjoy the feeling of not getting anything you want by two or three clicks for free, it's rare now innit.

(well maybe next year lol)

you are really naive. sorry. Plus Quaristice is essentially a live album.

Guest Larry David
But the fans expect and DESERVE the best. We HELPED them get to where they are now.

I get your point i think but to me you are being arrogant in stating it this way.

I don't think autechre actually care all too much about what people think - that's what makes them so great. if they started listening to what we wanted then they'll quickly turn into sellouts....

To be honest, I have NO problem seeing these threads come up from time to time. We need more of them. Warp needs to listen. That's what a label is for.

And I agree with the orginal post, they have to be taking dicks to the dome piece if they think the album even approximates the greatness of the live material that supports it.

Here's a suggestion... release material every year. C'mon. You're on a major label and you are international recording superstars who pioneered a genre. Just get over it and put out an LP every 2 years, go for a tour, and THEN release the live material/soundboard during the "off" years. That way, we come to the gig, wet our whistle and you guarantee our purchase and a steady income for yourself.

Worrying about whether people are going to buy the music means that the artist isnt doing enough to think about packaging, design, and multimedia content. It's almost 2009... we should be coming up with more creative ways of solving this problem. Look how well the LMTD. edition diecut album did. Sorry, but a couple blue and white boxes (Quaristice proper) and a racing strip on silver (Untilted) doesn't quite seem like you're taking this shit seriously.

"But it's all about the music maaaan!" Fuck that. First impressions are lasting impressions and months later I still feel like Queersauce was a pisstake. Thats the first shit that came into my head the very first time I saw the album cover. You gotta be kidding me. Are you serious?

Release a double disc. Release another groundbreaking video. Release an album that is one 60+min track. Release an artbook. Release a fucking pop-up book of fucking autechre inspired architecture mockups, for all I fucking care. Just stop taking dicks to the dome piece.

Guest plangplang

lol chill lol.

electronic music

if it weren't for these threads constantly poppin', would you care about live recordings not being released..?

IT IS USELESS

merry xms

just because you think it's their best stuff it doesn't mean THEY do.

Also, aren't live shows (be them performed by electronic music artists or anyone else) constituting flawless reruns of previously released material potentially rather dull and pointless? I loved seeing Ae live because it clearly wasn't just pressing-play-on-winamp-then-playing-minesweeper-for-an-hour; same for when I've been to Plaid shows as well. It can be frustrating when awesome tracks crop up in the live environment that never see the light of day in a physical format, fucking 'course it can. But I find 'live' performances consisting of what could to all intents and purposes be straight MP3s that I could just play loudly at home myself far more galling.

I remember luke warm crowd reactions when I saw them in the Untilted tour and at the Warehouse project with pretty much the same set a few months later however the album itself isn't bad at all it's a lot of it just not very dance floor friendly.

I think they would have got the same crowd reactions playing Quaristice in a more 'as is' fashion which is why thier live shows are now far more upbeat as you don't go to a club event to stand there scratching your chin all night!

My point is thier albums are more experimental for personal listening and the live shows are more rythmically constant to be more crowd friendly with a sprinkling of realtime experimentaion over the top to make it a worthwhile 'perfomance', saying that I would still kill for a proper live release however they must make more £ on the tours than sales and legit downloads especialy in these times.

Its kinda like why Jack Nicholson never appears on TV because he said then nobody would want to pay to see you when they can see you for free.

I think if Autechre were that arrogant they'd just do would do whatever they wanted on stage and not really give a fuck about what the crowd think which I feel they've certainly come away from especially on the Quaristice tour. I also like the fact that theor show constanly evolves in each performance which is a virtue of experimental electonic music.

I remember luke warm crowd reactions when I saw them in the Untilted tour and at the Warehouse project with pretty much the same set a few months later however the album itself isn't bad at all it's a lot of it just not very dance floor friendly.

I think they would have got the same crowd reactions playing Quaristice in a more 'as is' fashion which is why thier live shows are now far more upbeat as you don't go to a club event to stand there scratching your chin all night!

My point is thier albums are more experimental for personal listening and the live shows are more rythmically constant to be more crowd friendly with a sprinkling of realtime experimentaion over the top to make it a worthwhile 'perfomance', saying that I would still kill for a proper live release however they must make more £ on the tours than sales and legit downloads especialy in these times.

Its kinda like why Jack Nicholson never appears on TV because he said then nobody would want to pay to see you when they can see you for free.

I think if Autechre were that arrogant they'd just do would do whatever they wanted on stage and not really give a fuck about what the crowd think which I feel they've certainly come away from especially on the Quaristice tour. I also like the fact that theor show constanly evolves in each performance which is a virtue of experimental electonic music.

Good points dude....

what gets my goat is that their live material is *that* good, and, given the nature of bootlegs, and people's unwillingness to check out something that doesn't have studio production qualities (which is understandable to an extent), is that this great material will end up being unheard by the vast majority of electronic fans. I've been listening to the untilted and quaristice bootlegs every day for the past three years now, and it gets quite frustrating when no one around you is aware of the truly cutting edge stuff that booth and brown are doing these days. This whole argument that what they are doing live is some kind of esoteric experience that is only attainable to fans who pay to go and see them is facile bollocks. I've travelled over to the UK three times in the past two years to see them live, and that hasn't satiated me at all. It rarely works out how you expect it to. You're either freezing your tits off in the Hearn street car park while getting shafted by paying a stupid amount of money for a 330 ml beer, or your jammed in to a sweatbox of a room at Bloc weekend....i know that sounds unreasonable to bitch about, because they have little to no control over what venues they play in, but it justs adds to the frustration of knowing that these guys are playing the best stuff going, and that you're not going to hear it or take it home and buzz off it and give it to your mates UNLESS you go to their gigs.

and i also think that autechre has a better Acoustic cover potential than afx, i think some of autechre's earlier work is a good blueprint for a decent orchestral madness

Archived