IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

funny people 5/10

wasn't funny. started off pretty good, lost it when they take the road trip to visit sandler's old flame. went into total self indulgence at that point. judd apatow might want to watch home movies of his kids but i don't.

Guest jubes

i hope somebody puts an end to this really shit judd appatow movies

some are funny but in a ''meh'' funny kind of way ....seth rogan should go back to canada

Guest zaphod

funny people is at least forty minutes longer than it needs to be. i actually really enjoyed the first hour or so, it was the generic love interest storyline and everything that followed that bored me. and then apatow's need to cast his wife and kids in all of his movies just strikes me as extremely self absorbed. but it might have been adam sandler's best role, and rogen, for once, played a different character.

i like most of the actial Judd Apatow directed films (knocked up, funny people) 40 year old version i can take it or leave it, not really my type of movie. IT's the ones that try to ride the coattails of Apatow's fame that i don't like so much, these include I love you Man and Hangover. I feel like they were trying to channel Apatow but failed. I can understand the hate for his stuff though, its way overexposed now. He's been doing stuff forever and was an important writer for the Larry Sanders show. I think his best work is when he captures that style of comedy

Guest zaphod

what i'm a little tired of is seeing the same cast in nearly every comedy that comes out. it's either people from the american office or people from apatow's crew. occasionally a comic will come on and be ingratiated into this group a la zach galifianakis but, for the most part, i get the feeling comedy in hollywood is very incestuous.

what i'm a little tired of is seeing the same cast in nearly every comedy that comes out. it's either people from the american office or people from apatow's crew. occasionally a comic will come on and be ingratiated into this group a la zach galifianakis but, for the most part, i get the feeling comedy in hollywood is very incestuous.

it's just a trend right now. give it a year or so

Guest zaphod

it's been going on for a while. it's a trend, sure, but i'm sick of watching the same cast in every movie. i've noticed the casting director for almost every one of these movies, and the american office, arrested development, etc, is a woman named allison jones. so i have a feeling they just automatically cast the same people in every single movie because that's what makes bank.

I see how some people could get tired of seeing the same actors in comedies but when I think about the alternative it doesn't really bother me. The quality level of mainstream comedic films is higher than I remember it being before. I think people forget that most popular mainstream comedic films, before Apatow's brand caught on, were based on 2 1/2 minute Saturday Night Live sketches, starred Adam Sandler and his unfunny friends or starred an actor with no comedic experience just because he/she was popular at the time. Before that it was shit like Porkies and Meatballs. At least now it seems like there are less obstacles to keep genuinely funny people from getting their visions on screen and from casting people that they consider funny in their films.

Guest olson

i like to see the same actors working together. in the case of apatow's films the casts are mostly the same because they are friends in real life, and i think that shows through in the movies and is probably pretty cool for them.

Guest tidbit

just a few ww flicks ..

Alice in den Städten [alice in the cities] 8.4/10

Falsche Bewegung [wrong move] 8.4/10

Im lauf der zeit [kings of the road] 8.2/10

Witchfinder General - Not the horror film that I was expecting but well worth a watch just to see the savage nature of those that use to hunt witches. Vincent Price is completely awesome in this. The end isn't satisfactory and is probably all the better for it. 7.5/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

role models 5/10

predictable crap, terrible song ending. was better than i expected though. stiffler has tits these days. i guess they are pecs but they look silly.

Guest Mr Salads

I see how some people could get tired of seeing the same actors in comedies but when I think about the alternative it doesn't really bother me. The quality level of mainstream comedic films is higher than I remember it being before. I think people forget that most popular mainstream comedic films, before Apatow's brand caught on, were based on 2 1/2 minute Saturday Night Live sketches, starred Adam Sandler and his unfunny friends or starred an actor with no comedic experience just because he/she was popular at the time. Before that it was shit like Porkies and Meatballs. At least now it seems like there are less obstacles to keep genuinely funny people from getting their visions on screen and from casting people that they consider funny in their films.

You skipped over the naked gun movies

Those were great

You skipped over the naked gun movies

Those were great

and Peter Sellers, Monty Python, Mel Brooks, John Hughes, Cohen Bros., etc

Archived