IGNORED

Brainwaltzera - Poly-Ana

whosebrian

100 % sure he's from belgium , mister frikandelle :)

Head southeast from there for quite some distance...

Madagascar? 

If my previous theory is correct he's from Greece

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madagascar? 

pretty sure hes from south africa

Madagascar? 

close

sorry for the drunken outburst :diablo:

Tom Ravenscroft plays his tunes on his bbc6 radio show

I'm drinking too, the trick is that every time you want to make a rage comment just make a stupid joke instead

that's actually quite good advice  :smile:   I'll try that next time :ok: 

Madagascar? 

close

Bulgaria?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is absolutely bloody amazing, it's almost like if all my favorite musicians decided to work together to create something beautiful... sounds so fucking good :ok:

Put this album on the sidebar please!

• 2 weeks later...

cool blurb, imo

Following a much hyped Soundcloud profile (inc. favourited tracks by AFX) Brainwaltzera turns in a stunning debut album of melancholic electronica and head squashing acid for Film, quite surely the closest grasp to the authentic, original braindance feeling. If you have ever moved to the funky acid stuff of Luke Vibert, taken an extended holiday within the Boards of Canada, or found yourself lost in the throes of a heavy session taking Drukqs than this is THEEE record for you.

Having caused the masses of those plugged into the Film Recs axis to almost break their fingers by hitting the keys on the underground electronica forums so hard with excitement when Film seemingly, out of nowhere dropped the Aescoba EP. Brainwaltzera's debut makes good on its promises by arriving with all the nostalgic forward motion punch of a Boards Of Canada industrial metal album. Yet make no mistake, the mission here isn't to look back and pick over the past with a glazed expression and lust for a time long gone. Brainwaltzera is too busy for that, his mission is set on reshaping the present with freshly formed, yet time proved tools. Lifting elements of what caused those before him to fully realise the vision of an alternative history of electronic music, Poly-ana continues this tradition with a striking complexity and sparkling new take on a classic theme.

While Aescoba and the Bleep favourite Analogical Force 12 were indebted to early Aphex'ian styles, the key to Poly-ana's power is the way it builds on the RDJ techno sound and translates them into new structuers and symbols. At moments Brainwaltzera does borrow heavily from the Rephlex catalogue, but he also takes this in his stride as something of a jumping off point to explore ideas using a set up of technology that the first wave braindancers could have only imagined (and we are sure alot of them did!). The ghosts of these releases float quietly in the ambient clouds and textures overhead, but the core feeling is one of exploring the newly found alien landscapes that are hidden within the electronic patch bays of analogue synthesizers portrayed on the screens of MacBook Pros.

While many take the Analord's work as influence and push out pastiche renditions that don't even come close to the original thing, artists such as Microlith (RIP), LNS, Nkisi and above all else on Poly-ana, Brainwaltzera are looking to the past as a means of learning the ropes while they are pushing ahead, locked in studios night after night, endlessly busy putting up the building blocks of the future.

Once again gave a listen to a new Brainwaltzera release and like always.... no wait, wtf I actually liked this to the point I pre-ordered the album. Really dig kurrytee + some of the snippets sound very promising. Still, can't get anything out from the previous ep's so that hasn't changed. Reading the post above makes me sneer big though. That riding on other artists' names is getting beyond ridiculous and it has been so annoying from the start. Albeit this time written by bleep but still :facepalm:

It is honestly really upsetting to me how consistently the artists who publish stuff trying to get that "but is it AFX?" attention get picked up by labels. Is it really the most successful strategy to make fakes? What is wrong with our music culture if that's the case? There are so many great artists totally unpublished and sitting in obscurity because they DON'T use hackneyed, cheap tricks to market their music, including lots of members of this forum. But this is what y'all buy into.

You ever seen in an art museum the paintings by "school of Botticelli" or some other famous artist? That's how I feel about artists that do this. It's not its own thing anymore, the music says nothing about the artist that made it. I don't think you should have to go there to get attention!

That said, I will listen to this, cause I've heard good things here, but I have no need in my life for more generic AFX-like music.

It is honestly really upsetting to me how consistently the artists who publish stuff trying to get that "but is it AFX?" attention get picked up by labels. Is it really the most successful strategy to make fakes? What is wrong with our music culture if that's the case? There are so many great artists totally unpublished and sitting in obscurity because they DON'T use hackneyed, cheap tricks to market their music, including lots of members of this forum. But this is what y'all buy into.

You ever seen in an art museum the paintings by "school of Botticelli" or some other famous artist? That's how I feel about artists that do this. It's not its own thing anymore, the music says nothing about the artist that made it. I don't think you should have to go there to get attention!

That said, I will listen to this, cause I've heard good things here, but I have no need in my life for more generic AFX-like music.

But "Brainwaltzera" is indebted to an entire genre.  Not just an AFX-ape.  And there may not be a "school of Botticelli" but at art museums, you can find modernists, romanticists, post-modernists, gothic, etc etc

i.e. trance, techno, house, IDM, braindance, dubstep, etc etc.

Who was it that said, "Talent borrows, genius steals."?

thought this was something to do w/this nightmare gui vst

Poly-Ana010HalfSize01.png

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

fucking that thing lol. I remember when that was being developed. The developer was such a dick to people on the KVR forums when anyone disagreed with him about something. Sounded good from the demos I heard though.

I can't stand the name brainwaltzera. Listened to aescoba EP, couldn't get into it. I don't get what the hype is about.

But "Brainwaltzera" is indebted to an entire genre.  Not just an AFX-ape.  

Except.... those ole' tagging soundcloud tracks as "afx" and the references to afx in press for the releases.... things.

If he/she was indebted to an entire genre maybe he/she should insert "entire genre" in all those places he/she is putting "afx".

Granted, the soundcloud tracks are tagged diff now.

But "Brainwaltzera" is indebted to an entire genre. Not just an AFX-ape. And there may not be a "school of Botticelli" but at art museums, you can find modernists, romanticists, post-modernists, gothic, etc etc

i.e. trance, techno, house, IDM, braindance, dubstep, etc etc.

Who was it that said, "Talent borrows, genius steals."?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my analogy. There ARE paintings in museums where the art is catelogued by "School of Botticelli","School of Carrivagio", etc. with no other information about the artist. It's lost in time, there's nothing written about them, they didn't make their own unique impact on the culture. That's my problem with knockoffs - it's fine to learn by imitating, but you're not making an impact in the world unless you branch out into your own!

Archived