IGNORED

mood bells

YEK

Guest narkeworld
I think its wicked.

why? I'm not mocking, just wondering, as I might be missing something. I personally find it boring, and I consider myself to be a Cylob fan.

You just have to have a feel for Chris Jeffs' old style, like Industrial Folksongs and Empathy Box and even the first eps he made a very monotone, static kind of music, it's even on Cylobian Sunset except that has pretty melodies that a lot of people can get into. 'Mood Bells' is very static, dead, theres not a lot of wacky dsp stuff on it just very solid sounds arranged well. I love it, a lot of music now is so modulated, automated, back then you'd get a nice concrete sound like a metal pipe hitting another metal pipe and just put a little bit of reverb on it, just the right amount and then use that sound as a snare or some other percussive hit. Also Chris jeffs really put out a lot of micro kinda stuff in the 90's almost cute but still very wicked in delivery very cute but deadly. If you listen to 'Empathy Box' you will get my drift, I hope, it's in my top ten of all time best albums.

Guest narkeworld

Also..... Oh yeah it ('Mood Bells') is kinda boring but that's the point in a way I think it's for meditating(sp?), chilling out to. Music doesn't have to be entertaining to be good, a lot of people don't know what good music is because they think it's all about entertainment, probably some kinda capitalistic symptom (I learned a little about ideology from this Slovenenian theorist "something, something" Zizek, it references to Marxist theory about ideology, you see you don't even realize that your part of some bigger plan when you say 'Mood Bells' is boring but it's very, very good imo and to some degree it's really good because it is boring). Chris Jeffs made very, very good music imo in the 90's and a lot of it is kinda boring but I love boring music myself. I think I went off on a strange tangent but I think it's a little bit relevant, and is a decent answer to your question, I hope.

Guest narkeworld
nice work.

maybe i'll give it another chance.

I do like empathy box and IFS.

What I said is probably stupid but I get so tired of "entertainment", that propellerheads(sp?) Record video (in the EKT forum) really says it all. Too entertaining, so entertaining that it looks like a spoof, some kind of joke.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest melotronic

my views on this album are the same as sneaksta's... after reading the thread im gonna give it another go.

• 4 weeks later...

So I thought to myself, maybe I'll try to get into Cylob.

*Reaches into hat, buys Mood Bells*

*Curses Cylob*

*Buys Bounds Green*

*Loves Cylob*

Where should I go next?

So I thought to myself, maybe I'll try to get into Cylob.

*Reaches into hat, buys Mood Bells*

*Curses Cylob*

*Buys Bounds Green*

*Loves Cylob*

Where should I go next?

lol

hmmm *scratches chin*

Diof '97

Livin' in the 1980's?

Rewind?

Cylobian Sunset?

Previously Unavailable On Compact Disc?

shiiiit I dunno. lots of different styles, ya knowz?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Since the individual 'wind chime' sounds on this album lack much dynamic range they look pretty interesting through spectral analysis. Sometimes it looks like a bunch of overlapping ski-slopes with all the pitch-bending going on.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest kanondwerg

i've never listened to mood bells and i don't intend to, because a 2.8 rating on discogs must mean that it IS really quite shit

• 10 years later...

Archived