IGNORED

Aphex Twin popularity in UK

Guest tronicphace

Guest tronicphace

I live in the US, and every time I meet somebody from the UK, I tell them that Aphex Twin is my favorite musician, and all but one has replied "who?" I thought RDJ was popularz over there...what with symphonies playing his music and the like...what gives?

Guest aphelion

nah, i think he has a pretty cult following.

he's not mainstream enough probably (suits me :beer: )

Guest ZeroHour

no one that I know of, knows of aphex twin

makes me feel like a right loner music taste wise :P

Guest placidburp

same... People just look blankly and ask if it's dance music or rock. I don't even try to explain. I'm going to start choke slamming people through tables as an answer.

SLAM!!!

lol :ok:

yeah, my mates know of Aphex Twin because of me, otherwise that would not have happened. It's surprising how few people know of him.

Guest aphelion

i think quite a lot of people know about him, but are less into that melodramatic/electro style of music.

if they have heard of him, its usually through come to daddy/windowlicker vids, which is a shame i think..

he is fairly unusual, and people i know can't be arsed with it, they just prefer mainstream.

my cat fuckin loves im though! :beer:

Guest melotronic

for an electronic musician he's pretty well recognised in the uk amongst most types of people... not mainstream at all though. loads more people i talk to have heard of aphex over stuff like vibert, ae etc

Guest the televisor

I only know like 3 people in England where im from that have heard of him, and they only know windowlicker and come to daddy.

Guest hahathhat
same... People just look blankly and ask if it's dance music or rock. I don't even try to explain. I'm going to start choke slamming people through tables as an answer.

aphex twinz is theoretical expansion of aural erogenous zones via practial synthesis

How popular can you be when you average one release per decade and ensure it doesnt climb the charts?

He sold out the Warehouse Project before any other superstar DJ a couple of years back.

Last years Warehouse I was asked by some dodgy Manc ticket tout what kind of music Squarepusher was? I said "erm...IDM?....fast experimental electronic with drum n bass?....kinda like Aphex Twin?" then he nodded his head.

Anyone who's into alternative music in any way knows who Aphex Twin is or has at least seen his Cunningham videos on MTV.

Ok he's not Prodigy/Orbital mainstream but only because he's always kept a safe distance from the charts by putting free gifts and stuff with his singles, he certainly isn't underground.

Don't be fooled ole Richie baby's elusiveness, he's has made a fair few quid in his career.

Guest tronicphace
Yeah, everyone pops round Dicky James for a brew every now and then

total lol

Also, the one british dude that I met that did know RDJ (back when I lived in Denver, CO), we became good friends and I ended up giving him my turntable and my Analord set for free. It was like a Christmas miracle for that man.

Guest the televisor
I live in the US, and every time I meet somebody from the UK, I tell them that Aphex Twin is my favorite musician, and all but one has replied "who?" I thought RDJ was popularz over there...what with symphonies playing his music and the like...what gives?

shut up.

Archived