IGNORED

Untilted is Autechre's best album

Suffocate Peon

I like the later albums too but I agree that mid period Autechre was the most impressive. Envane through Confield wails so hard. Confield was the last album I loved by them, the rest have still been pretty solid though.

I agree, but then again I haven't "gotten" their later albums yet.

Guest extherium

I couldn't really get in to this one for a while.. then, all of a sudden, it clicked. It was like a sonic epiphany. Ipacial Section is a masterpiece.

That is essentially how I felt about the album as well. My introduction to Autechre was Amber a few years ago, and to go from that straight to Untilted was incredibly difficult... plus for the longest time the only album I could find in-store was Confield. It really put me off Autechre for a little while.

But then I came back to Untilted, mostly because the one track I enjoyed straight off the bat was Iera. But when I listened to it again, it just clicked for me that the entire album is pretty solid work.

I like the later albums too but I agree that mid period Autechre was the most impressive. Envane through Confield wails so hard. Confield was the last album I loved by them, the rest have still been pretty solid though.

I agree, but then again I haven't "gotten" their later albums yet.

agreed

i'm surprised by how quickly i "clicked" with quaristice....

the more you listen to them the more the pieces fit I think. I'm still appreciating some songs/albums in a deeper way when I really listen to them.

like recently, Tri Repetae clicked with me alot harder than it has before. The last time that has happened was with Untilted a few weeks ago.

Guest Calx Sherbet

if a song just seems really weird and unusual to me, i just accept it and let it keep going. usually by the end i end up appreciating it more, and liking it

Guest Enter a new display name

From Tri Repetae to Confield, all Autechre's LPs are pure genius, imo.

at least extend that to draft!

Yes, I would extend their genius period to Draft 7.30, you're right!

i think someone mentioned it in another thread ages ago, (rook possibly?), but if the first four tracks off untilted were their own EP, I think it might be the best EP in history. With that said and done, yes Untilted is a total mind-boggling beat workout. Not their best, not quite enough range as opposed to LP5 or Draft, but still stunning. And ipacial section is the most complex rhythm piece i've ever heard in 4/4.

i think someone mentioned it in another thread ages ago, (rook possibly?), but if the first four tracks off untilted were their own EP, I think it might be the best EP in history. With that said and done, yes Untilted is a total mind-boggling beat workout. Not their best, not quite enough range as opposed to LP5 or Draft, but still stunning. And ipacial section is the most complex rhythm piece i've ever heard in 4/4.

I (at some point at least) said it and fully agree with it. That said, I can't pick an album because I always go in and out of having favorites that I know I'd hate myself for picking one if I saw it later. At the moment, I'd say EP7.

• 1 month later...

I agree, I like every track on Untilted. The tracks are nice and long which give them time to evolve. Also I like the way they often evolve from hectic to calm. They seem to unravel themselves into something almost mellow, expecially Lcc. the 3 beats in Lcc always make me think of a cartoon cowboy jumping and firing his toy guns in the air. Elsewhere, Ipacial Section maintains intensity but becomes more sparse. Pro Radii keeps a great tempo throughout, and here again are traces of that pistol toting cowboy. (05:00 is nice when it changes into the chunky beat/"humo" part)

I agree on Lcc and the likeness of some of the other tracks on the album, it does sound like they might have been brothers at birth, then kind of grew into their respective songs maintaining a familiarity.

Untilted just really works for me as an album these days. Whatever next.

• 3 weeks later...

I think i must be about 3-4 years behind every time i listen to this band. Been listening to The Trees a hell of a lot this week and its starting to hit me the same way as VL:AL Roundabout Theme a couple of years ago. The depth and tempo. It's always the beat heavy shit thats the most instantaneous (LCC, VProc, Pens), but the soothing tunes take time.... think i've surprised my own brain by getting into The Trees, its pushing the same electro neurons as VL:AL.

Having said that i don't think i will ever like IO or Pro Radii or Chenc9, just dont get it atall.

This is a favorite Autechre album of mine (especially 'The Trees'), that i listened to for the first time with an

old girlfriend. She had a fit and made nasty sounds while i was ordered

to flip ahead through the tracks.

I called her on her way back from seeing her

family on the east coast some days later, she was listening to ' Tori Amos'

in the background while she talked through the cell about how much she loved Tori's

music's. We broke up when she got back.

imo it's been awhile since they actually released something where all the tracks were good. draft has some crap... i'm not fully into untilted.....

gantz graf ep is frickin good though, but that's only 3 tracks

Staring into troons anus = staring into hell = staring into the eyes of michael myers.

do you own a pair of those special anus enhancing googles they were selling on the internet awhile back Clitterhaus?

while your at it...maybe you could dislodge that lump of chewing gum from where my rectum meets with my descending colon.

sometimes when i fart i blow bubbles out my ass.

listening to the 2007 hemsby set its so fucking good. Best of both untilted and quaristice worlds.

right on, glasgow is pretty much the same thing but only one of them has pro radii if i remember right.

Archived