IGNORED

Autechre in Stereo Difference...

Guest Crime Stick

I saw these too, they are pretty cool but I don't really understand what stereo difference is and how you get those versions from it. I understand it has something to do with subtracting one side from the other.

That’s basically it, you have the 2 channels (l/r), subtract one waveform from the other and you’re left with the difference as a single (mono) output. For stuff without much stereo separation (e.g. most pop music) you’ll end up with almost complete silence.

Guest themutableone

Augmatic Disport is very silent

I think the guys purposely did this so we can hear those beautiful melodies buried deep within the chaos of percussion. When you skip ahead you can hear it very well.

I think the guys purposely did this so we can hear those beautiful melodies buried deep within the chaos of percussion. When you skip ahead you can hear it very well.

Nah. What it means is that Augmatic Disport is very mono. The more silent a track given this treatment overall, the more mono it is. If a track suddenly comes out of silence, you're hearing stereo content. And we know that Autechre like mono quite a bit. For instance 'The Trees' is 100% mono.

This particular schtick is commonly known in audio circles as the 'karaoke effect'. On a pop song, the main vocal is usually panned to the centre. So a cheap way you can try and rip the vocal out for karaoke purposes is invert the phase of half the signal, then mix the two sides into mono. Whatever is dead centre then disappears... hopefully the vocal, and very probably a bunch of other stuff like the kick drum.

To the chap who wanted to remove the sides instead of the centre, you need some kind of mid-side audio processing plugin. Then turn the sides volume down to 0. The result on commercial music tends to be far less interesting to hear than removing the centre, since commercial tracks tend to always have a lot of centre bias to make sure they'll sound okay when mixed down to mono. This is to cover them for when they're coming out of a cheap mono radio, or being streamed badly online, for instance.

Guest themutableone

Nah. What it means is that Augmatic Disport is very mono. The more silent a track given this treatment overall, the more mono it is. If a track suddenly comes out of silence, you're hearing stereo content. And we know that Autechre like mono quite a bit. For instance 'The Trees' is 100% mono.

This particular schtick is commonly known in audio circles as the 'karaoke effect'. On a pop song, the main vocal is usually panned to the centre. So a cheap way you can try and rip the vocal out for karaoke purposes is invert the phase of half the signal, then mix the two sides into mono. Whatever is dead centre then disappears... hopefully the vocal, and very probably a bunch of other stuff like the kick drum.

To the chap who wanted to remove the sides instead of the centre, you need some kind of mid-side audio processing plugin. Then turn the sides volume down to 0. The result on commercial music tends to be far less interesting to hear than removing the centre, since commercial tracks tend to always have a lot of centre bias to make sure they'll sound okay when mixed down to mono. This is to cover them for when they're coming out of a cheap mono radio, or being streamed badly online, for instance.

I realize that the glitchy drum sounds n stuff are in mono but its still fun to think that the guys did it purposely so people could extract the melody and listen to it in isolation.

Guest ZeroHour

listening to some of the autechre and aphex twin ones made me further realise the level of mastery put into these musical pieces, and just how fucking brilliant they are, so much depth

listening to some of the autechre and aphex twin ones made me further realise the level of mastery put into these musical pieces, and just how fucking brilliant they are, so much depth

Didn't you notice that just by listening to the actual tracks?

This 'stereo difference' thing has got out of hand... it's a totally arbitrary audio operation to give you an audio file minus its mono centre content.

It's like us saying how brilliant Belinda Carlisle was when she panned her vocal choruses out to the sides, so that when we stereo differenced them (!!), there they were in glorious isolation. Well, she put them there to make her stereo mix work in the first place, the same way Autechre put certain things out on the sides to make their stereo mix work in the first place.

I think Autechre are the ace, but this 'ahhh, the artists' genius is only revealed to be greater when I STEREO DIFFERENCE their file' thing... is silly.

I dunno exactly what the implications of it are. When I was younger and I listened to music with vocals I had a pair of headphones which became semi-broken. When I used them to listen to my music, I would only hear the instruments and not the vocals, which was incredibly interesting to me because I could hear all these instrumental versions of tracks that never had instrumental versions released.

I later figured out the same effect can happen by half unplugging the headphones but then I realized that since I was trying to get around the vocals anyways I might as well just say fuck off to words in music all together. Just distractions from the main art if you ask me (obviously there are exceptions to this though)

I didn't understood how the hell you do a stereo difference version. Can it be made with a soft like Audacity ?

yep

import stereophonic audio file > drop down bar for the audio track > "split stereo track" > drop down bar & convert both tracks to mono > highlight one track > effect > invert

Archived