IGNORED

Venetian Snares' best album?

thehauntingsoul

I can't suppress my love for V-Snares I need to spray it forth like chunky vomit into the face of the world.

Haters, what the fuck?

MisterE: odd-meters is just one of the many interesting things about V-Snares. Harmonically, rhythmically and melodically he is probably more competent than 90% of people making electronic music. His frequent use of 7/4 and 7/8 (and some others) is just one of the many aspects that set him apart from the homogenous electronic masses. There is something to be said for being able to hear 2 bars of a song and knowing "oh that's gotta be V-Snares." Most music is generic and anonymous and could be made by any one of 100,000 FL Studio owners (for instance). Burial Four Tet FlyLo Luke Vibert Squarepusher Autechre etc all these guys have that identifiable thing where you can hear 5 seconds of their stuff and know it's them. Now obviously alot of bad artists have it too (e.g. Raed), but I think it's probably a prerequisite for greatness.

And odd meter is not a superficial thing (as your comment a couple pages ago seemed to suggest). Structural/formal elements are a big part of what lend music its beauty. If you take Bach, for instance, I would say half of the beauty is the actual sound and the other half is the form, the mathematical elegance. And one could even argue that meter is the most visceral aspect of the music as it tells our bodies how to move to it...

Edited by LimpyLoo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised theres not much love for Rossz or My Downfall. Some incredible production value on those.

They're actually the only two albums I like by him !

I'm surprised theres not much love for Rossz or My Downfall. Some incredible production value on those.

They're actually the only two albums I like by him !

My Half and Colourless! Szerencsetlen! :emb:

Edited by StephenG

Guest murphythecat8

almost vsnares entire catalog sounds like high tempo patterns that constantly mutate with no real aim or guidance, and someone randomly flipping through the drum sounds being used while it plays out. ok the drum switching isn't entirely random. tbh i think his sound design is pretty good, and i think his mixing is pretty good. i just don't like any of his 'music'. maybe two or three times in each of his millions of 20minute long spastic freakout tracks, there will be a moment i DO like, and it will last less than 2 seconds, then go into something else that i hate.

lol, yeah thats my feeling also.

He did a 16 minute one with A Giant Alien Force More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine

murphythecat8 & misterE - Believe it or not there are some non breakbeat mentalisms out there. Check out this lovely track for instance:

as soon as the edward scissorhands samples came in i was sold

on listening to the edward scissorhands ost again

nah jk Snares is a cool guy too but that soundtrack & me go way back

Guest vletrmx

for school, i had to submit a poem to a poetry contest. i named mine "detrimentalist". i won. :0

see guiz vsnares totally haz artistic merit

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ZombieLincoln666

I don't know if singles count, but Badminton / Edgewood Park is (are) my favorite. I wish he did more in that style (e.g. Banana Seat Girl, 2 dollars ..)

His other albums are mixed. I usually love 3 or 4 songs on each and dislike the rest. Rossz is pretty great all the way through. Chocolate Wheelchair is also a classic, although it can get a little messy at points.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

I hope he's still alive.

If he's anything like my Grandpa, don't keep your fingers crossed.

Guest abracadabra

Chocolate Wheelchair and Higgins are my top favs. You just can't fuck with Banana Seat Girl

Guest abracadabra

Chocolate Wheelchair and Higgins are my top favs. You just can't fuck with Banana Seat Girl

Shit, that was my 666th post.

Guest vletrmx

i think my favorite has got to be "winter in the belly of a snake". atmospheric, emotive, and really dark.

This thread has sent me on a Vsnares binge.

Prior to now I've only heard a few tracks off Rossz and a handful off Doll Doll Doll. I still remember hearing the sample in 'All The Children Are Dead' and thinking 'the fuck?' Essentially for me the Vsnares appeal lies in the fact that there's not a great deal else out there that hits the intensity level of, say, Die Winnipeg. It's like the soundtrack for making things collapse under the force of your rage. Plus the fact that for 90% of people, playing a Vsnares track to them triggers an almost visceral reaction of intense revulsion, lol.

Guest tht tne

Prior to now I've only heard a few tracks off Rossz and a handful off Doll Doll Doll. I still remember hearing the sample in 'All The Children Are Dead' and thinking 'the fuck?' Essentially for me the Vsnares appeal lies in the fact that there's not a great deal else out there that hits the intensity level of, say, Die Winnipeg. It's like the soundtrack for making things collapse under the force of your rage. Plus the fact that for 90% of people, playing a Vsnares track to them triggers an almost visceral reaction of intense revulsion, lol.

well for me listening to vsnares is like watching bob ross paint, i just really vibe with the guy

well for me listening to vsnares is like watching bob ross paint, i just really vibe with the guy

Weirdly I do see what you mean, playing through a bunch of tracks here and sort of finding a groove. Initially it's like 'woah' and then it really clicks.