IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Still blows me away that people can dislike Quaristice..... I could understand people not gettin into this one but but Quaristice?!? Bloody incredible album!

Quaristice is derivative and piecemeal. It's the one album in their catalog, that if magically disappeared and/or was never made, their creative trajectory would have never been affected.

Still blows me away that people can dislike Quaristice..... I could understand people not gettin into this one but but Quaristice?!? Bloody incredible album!

Quaristice is derivative and piecemeal. It's the one album in their catalog, that if magically disappeared and/or was never made, their creative trajectory would have never been affected.

disagree

Can Bleep please tell us in some way whether this is fake or not. I'm losing my patience. :P

I second this. But like I've said some post earlier, if this latest leak turns out to be the real stuff (the more I listen, the more I'm convinced it is) then Bleep will put the downloads up real soon now. They need to counter the illegal downloading.

If they don't put up the album this week, I think it's a fake one we've been listening to. I just can't comprehend if they allow ppl downloading the full album like this without doing jack shit.

you would think thats the case, but when grizzly bears album leaked almost 4 months early, they did nothing.

Guest Greg Reason

In the case of Grizzly Bear, the hype-machine went into overdrive and it probably made the release even bigger. In the case of this record it seems that if it's not an even distribution of hating/loving then it's tilting more towards hating so far....

Guest Greg Reason

Hmm. Piecemeal; whatever, I like the disparity. Plus like they said, it does have a definite flow. And I like that it has a lot more contrast between tracks than this one does. Derivative; of what exactly? Certainly not the ae back catalog... Sounds fresh and new to me.

Personally, Draft 7.30 n Quaristice are where it's at. Untilted is fucking great too.

After a third listen I'm rather disappointed. Ilanders is alright, but too few ideas there, something missing. Its not developing enough. The beatless tracks bore me, the ones with beats (qplay, treale, os veix) have the typical noise and stuff, but could somewhat be done by anyone else except Ae. Where is the complexity? I'm not saying Gantz Graf, but as in Pen Expers etc... I may judge too fast.

All in all it feels like it has been created in a fraction of time compared to Confield etc...

Edited by Guest

i kinda understand all the quaristice hate. i hate all that perlence-like crap (including the whole piece of shit that is quadrange) with a passion, but on the other hand i LOVE (L_O_V_E!!) the more structured, crunchy or ambient stuff like plyphon, simm, fol4/3, tankraken/ tankakern, wnsn, nofour/ notwo, sondere-ix. ae´s best and weakest moments on one album, how cool is that?

and two things to all the people wondering why oversteps was played on a german radio station for the first time. germany is the second biggest music- and media-market in the world (US being first) AND, even more important: i wrote many whining posts on the de-bug website asking them (under different usernames - i´m a pathetic nerd i know) to play new ae stuff on their show, to the point where they wrote that they don´t want to get death threads so they will air it. haha

and two things to all the people wondering why oversteps was played on a german radio station for the first time. germany is the second biggest music- and media-market in the world (US being first) AND, even more important: i wrote many whining posts on the de-bug website asking them (under different usernames - i´m a pathetic nerd i know) to play new ae stuff on their show, to the point where they wrote that they don´t want to get death threads so they will air it. haha

lol nice :beer:

about the leak:

I could imagine they had it in the German radio show and someone did some kind of direct recording out of the closed maybe even digital system at the radio station via a portable recording device and some audio jack cable (iphone maybe or something better which would explain the apple format and clipping)

they don't use CDs at radio stations often do they? its all on hard-drive

This is what i was thinking. Perhaps some little odd time differences can be attributed to the itunes crossfader or some equivalent people were talking about as well.

I really enjoy the album, I feel like we've gotten plenty of this type of sound layered in the work before under nice rhythmic percussion but now its more focused or present. I never clicked with regular music theory of scales and stuff so perhaps odd note progression is less important to me and I am just digging the atmosphere and odd development through the songs...ae got me into more beat heavy and hip hop based music as well so I'm sure that tips the scale as well. I've only listened to it twice so I may be back with a better understanding of what i like...

If its not ae i have a new favorite artist, if it is ae i have a new favorite album.

edit: also they better come to the bay area cause the quaristice show was 21 over and now that is not a problem lol

Edited by alpaca

it's Berlin.

everyone loves Berlin.

and Hobbs probably is busy masturbating to dubstep.

that is all.

speaking of which, apparently O.S.T. will join in for the berlin date... excellent bonus!

ok ima noob… who's O.S.T.?

also thanks panz0r for finding out about the radio!

ack! in 2008 we were number 4 with music (it looks different if you include movies and books, but i can´t find the link atm). us > jap > uk > germany

http://www.musikindustrie.de/internationales0/

this is autechre. referring to popular music stats is pointless. the germans love david hasselhoff ffs!

700px-Total_music_market_2003.png

Edited by keltoi

it's Berlin.

everyone loves Berlin.

and Hobbs probably is busy masturbating to dubstep.

that is all.

speaking of which, apparently O.S.T. will join in for the berlin date... excellent bonus!

ok ima noob… who's O.S.T.?

also thanks panz0r for finding out about the radio!

this: http://www.myspace.com/rougishscald

also goes by other names like dalglish and rook valla®de. was featured on ATP3 comp.

awepittance should be able to tell you more... ;)

i wrote many whining posts on the de-bug website asking them (under different usernames - i´m a pathetic nerd i know)

I got bloody fingers writing to this Oversteps thread. BTW, I'm losing control: Is there anybody else here except me?

panz0r/incarnation#2617(Wurstwasser) :whistling:

Edited by Guest