IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Quaristice is just a tad long in my opinion, this one feels better paced, but content wise I can't really say which has better material yet. Quaristice has some complex beat stuff like Plyphon and whatnot, that make it very appealing... gonna have to wait to hear a better rip for this, to decide

I agree, they are just apple and oranges in the end though... just very different musically, though you can hear the progression

It couldn't sound anymore like someone read the interview snippet and heard the radio show and hurriedly put together his best soundalikes amongst the two tracks. I think everyone is on a huge wind-up anyway, something to do to pass the time. If it is legit, then, well, they've lost the ability to make ineresting songs.

i don't think they've lost the ability, they just chose not to use it very often on this album

Guest Greg Reason

to my ears Oversteps is one of their least unique albums, and seems in a lot of ways derivative of people who copy AE which is a weird thing to say like Arovane and Plaid

Arovane isn't the most innovative producer but he never seemed too much like ae to me. If anything he seems to have a slightly more Bola approach to programming while ae always came across a little more liquid sounding.

Sometimes the simplist answers are the most telling. Why would Warp offer 24bit wav files if *this* was indicative of the final mix/master ??? I can literally hear things suppressed that should otherwise come forward. It's almost there, just not there completely. I really think a 24bit wav will reveal much more than a shit proprietary mp3 that has likely been transcoded. I have to keep going back to the increase in quality given the newer version of that 2005 soundboard and how hearing it that way was like hearing it again for the first time

yeah totally agree the final version will be 10 times better in quality

lol. come on guys its not going to sound that much different.

to my ears Oversteps is one of their least unique albums, and seems in a lot of ways derivative of people who copy AE which is a weird thing to say like Arovane and Plaid

Arovane isn't the most innovative producer but he never seemed too much like ae to me. If anything he seems to have a slightly more Bola approach to programming while ae always came across a little more liquid sounding.

Arovane's later work is extremely inspired by Lp5, his compositional style is different and a little more floaty and ambient which is why i make the comparison to OVersteps

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Apeofnaples

I'm new on here so don't go yelling at me or anything. I just had a nice walk around the west village BLASTING this album and I have to say, I fucking love it. To me it makes no sense comparing it to any of their earlier albums, but it sounds like the future again. Hooray!!!

Re: about 50-55minutes in... The best parts of Pro Radii and Iera mixed with a bit of Cap.IV . This track is going to be amazing, but the clipping and shittiness of the recording device is really evident here. I can't wait to hear the final release of this track

it's funny because as far as i can tell all of the tracks with 'clipping' sound very much part of the album, similar to how Perlence's 'distorted bass' was also not a mistake

AE seems to be going the Metallica St. Anger route on the production on some of these tracks.

AE seems to be going the Metallica St. Anger route on the production on some of these tracks.

oh lol. :facepalm:

it's much better than you make it out to be.

I found a version of the promo online that was separate VBR MP3s in a RAR file... has anyone else come across this? It's most likely split from the m4a, but I'm at work and can't really check it out right now.

ffs none of the tracks play twice. ilanders is the one that I've seen singled out as a repeating track but it's certainly not. Listen to the beginning and then the part where you think it loops over, it's clearly just a fake-out ending and not the track looped over. Get your ears checked!

its not possible that the song is 11 minutes long because that would mean the Bleep download would be more than 720 megabytes and plus the last.fm scobbles say the song is only 5:32

I found a version of the promo online that was separate VBR MP3s in a RAR file... has anyone else come across this? It's most likely split from the m4a, but I'm at work and can't really check it out right now.

hmmm

all the distortion, clipping whatever you want to call it sounds very intentional to me.

reason i make the St. Anger comparison is because a bunch of people in here thinks the m4a is broken, and that they aren t recognizing that AE has been trying to make their stuff sound dirty and distorted for the last couple lps

okay, you can twist and turn it however you like, but "Metallica" and "St. Anger" is simply an insult. :cisfor:

"with his latest flick, David Lynch pulled a Michael Bay"

Edited by Guest

all the distortion, clipping whatever you want to call it sounds very intentional to me.

reason i make the St. Anger comparison is because a bunch of people in here thinks the m4a is broken, and that they aren t recognizing that AE has been trying to make their stuff sound dirty and distorted for the last couple lps

Dirty will still sound dirtier if its poorly recorded. I expect little things to come forward, just to make a more complete sound. Won't sound drastically different, but it will tie up loose knots I have about this album atm... cause for the most part I really dig it

i kind of felt that way with PErlence too, i still like the track though. why is it an insult to compare 2 records that appear to have intentionally 'low quality' production on parts? or are you too of the mindset that the m4a is broken

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah I have that one. I've just been sitting back with my mouth shut about this letting everyone else whine about their low quality m4as... The one I have is in fucking fantastic quality.

i kind of felt that way with PErlence too, i still like the track though. why is it an insult to compare 2 records that appear to have intentionally 'low quality' production on parts? or are you too of the mindset that the m4a is broken

well, never been very fond of Metallica, but isn't it widely accepted that with St. Anger they finally flushed themselves down the sink, losing all their dignity if there ever was some? that the album was the result of some super cheesy group therapy wocka wocka?

okay Ae went a tiny little lo-fi sometimes on Quaristice and also on Oversteps now, but i beg to differentiate. :emotawesomepm9:

Chiastic Slide i would call an Autechre lo-fi production.

chiastic slide is only lo-fi in the sense that there is a lot of digital dithering and bit crushing at play, the mastering and mixing of Chiastic slide was fucking impeccable though, everything jumped out in all the right places. not like Oversteps where parts actually sound like they want you to imagine your speakers breaking or blowing out.

i started listening to Autechre thirteen years ago. this is of course as we all know their 10th album!

i am in a bit of shock just because i was thinking this was going to be their mile stone! i thought this was going to be

the album that was going to set the mark for the beginning themes that Autechre would be working with for their next 22 years!

this may be real, this may be fake, but either way i am just not completely satisfied with this album yet. maybe it will grow on me, maybe it

will truly resinate with my heart when the official version is available. i wish i knew, but i can say for now the main reaction i am having is that

i am filtering through other older Autechre albums and appreciating them even more.

This whole thing is very confusing to me. I'll just wait til all the dust settles and my hard copy appears in the post.

fuck leaks.

Guest Greg Reason

well, never been very fond of Metallica, but isn't it widely accepted that with St. Anger they finally flushed themselves down the sink, losing all their dignity if there ever was some? that the album was the result of some super cheesy group therapy wocka wocka?

okay Ae went a tiny little lo-fi sometimes on Quaristice and also on Oversteps now, but i beg to differentiate. :emotawesomepm9:

Chiastic Slide i would call an Autechre lo-fi production.

Hmm to be honest I think Confield has pretty ordinary production. Untilted seems like the cleanest and clearest to me.

thats a good theory and all john lithgow, but why do you just keep saying that without presenting us with any counter evidence? we've already shown you piles of evidence, namely that german radio station played 2 actual tracks from the album that sound VERY similar to the rest. what do you have to say to that?

if this is just your intuition then kindly shut the fuck up,