IGNORED

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

What I want to know is, anyone gonna record the show on 4/20?

Yea, I'll be at work and miss the whole thing... kinda sucks :shrug: hopefully someone will record

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Miblo

is it like the Gonjasufi? cuz i thought that went overboard with distortion. it was pretty compressed too =/, but what record's not these days?

I doubt Steve Albini will have been interested in compressing Nina Nastasia's new album, Outlaster, due out in June.

is it like the Gonjasufi? cuz i thought that went overboard with distortion. it was pretty compressed too =/, but what record's not these days?

I doubt Steve Albini will have been interested in compressing Nina Nastasia's new album, Outlaster, due out in June.

Ya... IDK about ganjasufi so I can't compare. As far as no compression, I know that there was no compression used on the new Monolake album Silence http://www.carosnatch.com/2010/02/monolake-interview-producing-an-album-with-no-compression/

Guest blicero

If you really want to know... post a short sample from the leak you have, and i will try to post the same sample from the official release, so you can compare.

If you really want to know... post a short sample from the leak you have, and i will try to post the same sample from the official release, so you can compare.

The other songs sound the same, just a little less in quality...but Mmmhmm sounds very different, like it's missing a good bit of it

You have the official release? Just give me that, then! :D

edit: just looked at the junodownload site, and Mmmhmm is definitely shorter, as are a couple others.

Guest blicero

You have the official release? Just give me that, then! :D

if i did that, i probably wouldn't get it next time... if you know what i mean. ;)

i think those previews sound about right, mp3 compression aside. unfortunately, i think his sound has a requires good speakers, so if you only have ipod headphones or computer speakers, you're probably out of luck.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Ive tested this record on almost 10 setups now and even if the 320k mp3s are transcoded from 128k this record seriously seems to be stepping over the line with crunchy mastering compression (maybe that was the best they could do because the bass drums/sub bass/snare claps were too jacked on a lot of tracks)((who knows but I definitely can say I would freak out if I had a release this hyped with some really great stuff and the master sounded that ghetto squashed))

Guest Miblo

i was hoping the print with the preorder was the album cover.

But we're getting the album cover art by default. Why have a print of it as well?

i was hoping the print with the preorder was the album cover.

But we're getting the album cover art by default. Why have a print of it as well?

because it would be nice to have a larger print of it. it is nice in its simplicity and i could see it hanging in my office. not so much with that other doodle. not that it's bad or anything. and really, i dont care, as long as the disc sounds good because that what i'm really paying for.

its a great album its got a lot of amazingly heavenly moments, that's why I'm pretty disappointed with the way it was mixed and mastered

i just think flying lotus at least for me has proved himself as a pretty forward thinking musician, there are still some pretty heavy conventional (side chaining up the ass, wonky arpegios but at a minimum) trappings of this album but i give him props for doing something so dense and difficult right after he's become super popular. It takes some balls to make a movie move like that

absolutely, creatively I give him big ups propidilliops, I would rather have an artist be an artist than a scientific recording engineer centered limiting calculator but all this record needed was a bit more tweaking to the bass drum and snare levels and less compression

i feel you on less compression. It's hard to get away from the 'loudness wars' phenomenon these days, especially with any instrumental hip hop, shit is smashed to hell for the most part. I can't deny that sometimes it really makes a track work, but i think it's a little overdone in general but i like it on this album. I think Mr. Oizo is still the king of compression, nobody can make a bass drum punch you in the stomach as good as he can.

as far as I understand getting bass drums to really kick in the face far as I understand it shouldn't be heavily compressed so I guess you have to use sidechain compression from the BD to the rest of the mix or just do better leveling and compress less hard to leave room for the BD to have a punchy uncompressed dynamic punch

Archived