IGNORED

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I contacted them and asked if they'd cancel my old pre-order so I could order again. Think they'll be nice?

They've usually been decent with me, but I contacted them to change the delivery address for Oversteps and they seemed to take no notice. I asked them to do it with Cosmogramma at the same time, so fuck knows where they'll send that.

Guest kelvanE

yeah this is like the best album ever

goddamn you're making me horny. literally.

all good with bleep too:

----Hi Kevin,

----Strangely, your postage price has come out higher than it should have.

----We have refunded you $6. We sincerely apologise for this and will look into what has happened here.

----Kind regards

----Bleep Support

they were awesome AND quick for me :biggrin:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse
:cry: I just got a PM for the supposed new rip of this album and its just as crunchy flab low end distorted as the rip I've had for a few weeks... there's no way this album is really mastered that fucking crunched out is it??

just downloaded a torrent from demonoid that's relatively new all 3 rips I have downloaded sound the same. If this album is anywhere near this distorted I would be shocked.. I mean its listenable but.. I gotta look at these wav forms....

hmmmmz I was worried that it was really mastered this distorted but the wavs look to have enough dynamics that I dont think the distortion is from over compression in the mastering... phew probably just all of them are from an internet stream rip like someone way saying

if this album was ruined by over compressed mastering I would fucking go postal on the loudness war

lol okay last post........

I downloaded los angeles again... (which I haden't heard thaat much of) and got kinda worried.. just went on massive paranoid spree of checking to see if my monitors and my hd280 cans were blown at all or something... checked a few different albums I have that are mastered very loud but thankfully those albums while over compressed sound good.. speakers are fine

the 320k rips ive found of los angeles sound like they are mastered with the same distorted ass low end as what ive heard from cosmogramma.. I dont get it, is that really just considered ghetto gangsta to have your mixes mastered like they are running into a cassette tape machine with the bass on 11 or something? has the loudness wars in hip hop/electronic/rap really gotten to the point where this really is acceptable and desired? soo confused

sorry I love the music on this album and was very concerned after waiting for what I hoped would be a less distorted sounding rip

is it really considered ghetto gangsta to have your mixes mastered like they are running into a cassette tape machine with the bass @ spinal tap hot rodded 11 or something? has the loudness wars in hip hop/electronic/rap really gotten to the point where this really is acceptable and desired? soo confused

again I had only heard los angeles every once and a while but I have never paid attention to mixing and mastering on records as much as I do right now.

I really like the music and just wish it wasn't pushed in so hard. It kinda does add to the raw vibe I guess that it sounds like analog tap distortion on the mastering but the beats are so good I wish the production/mastering sounded cleaner.

I put cosmogramma and LA 320k on my mp3 player and tested it on a few setups and the compression distortion definitely doesn't sound desirable to me

I don't think he means the Clark compression, I think he means it's just too loud sometimes that it blares out some of the levels, kinda like Metallica's Death Magnetic.

But that's how these kinds of records are usually made, so I'm ok with it, I guess.

edit: Just listened again. Apart from the bass being a little low in a couple tracks (which is prob how he wanted it), it's pretty fine for me :S

is this the same problem people have with clark? with it being mastered loudly?

i dont see a problem with it... just turn it down if you dont like it

I haven't heard clark, I've heard is stuff is compressed really hard but from what I gather his production probably sounds a lot more professionally tolerable than what im talking about.

lol overly compressed distorted mastering dynamic crushing is definitely not a scenario where you can just turn it down. (EDIT:even at very very low volumes I can hear the distortion on both records) I WANT TO TURN SHIT UP, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO BLAST MUSIC WITHOUT HEARING EXTREME DISTORTION. when a record has a lot of dynamics, isnt overly compressed and well mixed/mastered you can jack up your setups really loud and it still sounds clean, you can feel the punch from the bass drum/snare etc.

I've skipped through cosmogramma and LA in my car, my monitors, my hd280 headphones and listened to both in full @ the gym with decent sony in ears plugs.

I definitely can conclude that to me (i have been pretty serious about mixing and mastering the last few years, try to learn and analyze all the records I hear) this is some of the most "ghetto fabulous" analog-ish super tape-ish squashed overly distorted mastered sound ive recognized in a loong time. the bass drum was ovbiously waaay too fucking loud before mastering on a few tracks cause you can hear the BD getting squashed soo fucking hard on a lot of tracks.

that might be apart of his sound it really does sound like on every setup that im listening through a boom box with the bass jacked up and different setups just sound like a bigger or smaller boom box

the music is great, amazing beats, definitely hear his influences sub conscious or not so well it at times it almost sounds like a collab between Amon Tobin, Daedalus, Squarepusher, machine drumish glitch hop with some old school soul. its pretty interesting how much his style seems like just such a tasteful regurgitation of everything loves, pretty cool really.

I will definitely be playing nothing but LA and Cosmogramma in my car and @ the gym the next few weeks and try my best to ignore the boom box sounding distortion.

maybe i just dont know what you are calling distortion..

what i think of as distortion is the little staticy noise which happens when a note goes to a certain pitch or a bass drum is too loud .. such as what happens a lot in i care because you do

i dont notice any of that in cosmogramma

although i have only listened to it twice

Yeah maybe reserve judgement till release... I am honestly waiting cause I felt idiotic hearing Oversteps the first time with ilanders playing twice and the quality being kind of empty in comparison to the wavs

distortion (wiki) comes from a lot of different things and its definition is really dynamic, but there's not really any other one word to describe what im talking about besides distortion

I absolutely mean no offense in this but unless you have got really anal retentive in training yourself to mix tracks and listens to the other artists records the same way for a few years anyone would probably just think it sounds ghetto raw bad ass cool to some extent but you might not know why it sounds so raw

I understand its apart of the sound to some level (some of the record samples he uses are kind of lowerish quality so smashing the rest of the mix with an extreme level of analogish squashed ass distortion can make the whole piece more cohesive) but I definitely do not feel like I'm being completely anally retentive stuck up about my opinion on the mixing/mastering on fly lo's stuff.

just listen to the bass drum on most tracks, sure its got a lot of bass but it doesnt really kick you in the chest at all unless you have your sub woofer cranked to shit, the bass drum is smashed down so hard it the same volume as the stuff thats supposed to be chill and you can hear the mix distort when the bass drum kicks or the big loud ass claps smash because everything is being sucked in so hard

sorry to blab off of on this but this is nearly the only big critical thing I can discuss about fly lo's work apparently, again his music by itself is great

heh /bfc's last post

Yeah maybe reserve judgement till release... I am honestly waiting cause I felt idiotic hearing Oversteps the first time with ilanders playing twice and the quality being kind of empty in comparison to the wavs

lol second last post... nah dood ive done lots of tests, comparing it to los angelos, they were both probably mastered by daddy kev and they sound nearly identical in mastering compression/production/mixing really, very similar in sound

Good work bfc. I deleted my leak because it sounded like crap and I am by no means an audiophile. I'll be pretty pissed if the full release sounds like that. It will be like flaming lips' embryonic for me, a great album I have a hard time listening to

I completely agree with what BFC is talking about. Listened to this last night and it seems that it is either a shitty encode, or it is meant to sound that way... I'm personally not a big fan of flylo, and I'm not familiar with his old stuff so IDK. This record has some god moments, but nothing that really blew my socks off. I'll probably listen to it some more and see if any other tracks grow on me. The low end sounds crappy though, hopefully it's just the rip

420-Print-Front.jpg

This is the print that is being included with the pre-order... I assumed it was the cover art since there was a huge picture of it in the email warp sent out, but no...

It's interesting...

Guest kelvanE

I completely agree with what BFC is talking about. Listened to this last night and it seems that it is either a shitty encode, or it is meant to sound that way... I'm personally not a big fan of flylo, and I'm not familiar with his old stuff so IDK. This record has some god moments, but nothing that really blew my socks off. I'll probably listen to it some more and see if any other tracks grow on me. The low end sounds crappy though, hopefully it's just the rip

is it like the Gonjasufi? cuz i thought that went overboard with distortion. it was pretty compressed too =/, but what record's not these days?

Archived