IGNORED

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Guest Lube Saibot

You gotta admit the "wonky arpeggios" stuff is kind of bullshit though. :cisfor:

hey lube, sorry for missing your post. but i really don't mean to be a dick or anything but wonky arpeggios are already a cliche. Were you a fan of the commodore64 or SID chip music? This is where this sound comes from, doing ultra fast 32nd, 64th note arpeggios is as far as i can tell a staple in most Wonky music. Not all songs mind you but it's just as used as piano stabs from early hardcore.

Sometimes i like them, but some of the time i want them to not do something NOT so expected. Its just a matter of personal taste but to utterly deny that this is already a cliche i think indicates you haven't listened to very much music in the genre or you aren't aware of what im taking about. you seem like a guy in the know so i'm curious how you can utterly deny the existence of this

Let me see... inside the "genre" I've listened to flylo, hudmo, lone, slugabed, jackson, clark's few hip-hoppy stuf, cupp cave, nastynasty, rustie, wonk-infused dubstep (RSD, hyetal&shortstuff, reso, loops haunt), pre-wonk (dilla, samiyam, madlib), and overlapping skwee stuff (wherein i MIGHT have noticed a degree of chippy arp obsession). I'm forgetting some things, but i'm pretty sure I don't listen to a volume of this stuff that might make me EXACTLY an expert. If your experience is vaster and you're certain there is a saturation of samey shit, i retract my statement.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FlyLo, Zomby, Rustie, Samiyam, Dorian Concept, Dimlite have all done it, and that's just scratching the surface.

Hell, I've done it in a track!

Guest Lube Saibot

Dude is there now a new genre called pre-wonk?

I needs me some post-wonk

Nah man i just wanted to say "abstract hip-hop that was already happening before the proliferation and coining of the term 'wonky'" in fewer terms.

I did pull a pitchforker there though, i will eat some poop now. :crazy:

Yeah I'd definitely put those two in that group. I immediately thought of P73 when "pre-wonk" was mentioned. I would replace Samiyam in that list...isn't he relatively new on the scene, basically Flying Lotus-era?

We are outlining the genre. :emotawesomepm9:

:facepalm:

Abstract hiphop (1996-2003) - Madlib/Dilla, etc.

Abstract electronic hiphop (pre-wonky) (2003-2006) - Prefuse 73, Dabrye, etc.

Proto-wonk (2006-present) - Flying Lotus, Samiyam, most of Brainfeeder

Wonky (2007-present) - Zomby, Rustie, Hud Mo, etc.

lol

Guest Lube Saibot

What happened to "glitch-hop"? That's where Prefuse sits IMO. Dabrye i do not know.

I need to listen to this Zomby fella some more, i just heard one single and thought he did retro jungle or something.

Guest Medha

I was just re-listening to "Mud In Your Mouth" by Prefuse (2006). It's like an exact preview of what FlyLo is developing right now. Then he disdainfully switches back to something else...

What happened to "glitch-hop"? That's where Prefuse sits IMO. Dabrye i do not know.

Good point. And that's basically what "Abstract electronic hiphop" is.

that's what I always thought of it as

and yeah lol to "proto-wonk"

to be honest, I wouldn't even classify Brainfeeder as wonky (I really wouldn't use that name for any artist, but whatever), their music is juuuuust a step below being full-on wuuub wuuub wuuub wuuuuuub music, and it even seems that they're trying to move away from that to other genres, etc.

Guest Glass Plate

I've always considered anti-con stuff as white people with whiney voices and MPCs. (for the most part)

The top person I associate with abstract hip-hop is Thavius Beck. (and now a bit of Ras G and DAK)

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

new leak definitely sound better/listenable but my complaints about the mixing/mastering are definitely still relevant. O well I'm glad its more listenable and the track lengths are supposed to be final etc.

god damnt I want to hear some of the my favorite tracks on this album with top notch snappy punchy mixing so bad though

Archived