IGNORED

bands that are mega hyped

Alzado

The analord series, if made by anyone else, would have been seen as mediocre. Im sorry, but its the truth....I enjoy listening to them, but by no means are they on constant rotation.

yes, a thousand times yes.

AFX also gets too much hype. some of his stuff is pretty mediocre and not nearly as good as they are made out to be. granted, he's done some nice stuff too, but he's far from infallible.

Yeah, Hangable Auto Bulb is solid but most of the AB series sounds quite dated. Analord is excellent quality techno and would be respected as such, but I agree, if it was not RDJ it'd have a single thread on WATMM with a few pages of discussion and that'd be it.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

analord is some of his best work

this thread is quite bizarro for me... is deerhunter that mega hyped? i guess I was thinking of obvious things like radiohead (good, but I don't get the crazy attention), coldplay (boring), muse (wtf why?) and kings of leon. I'm just really going off some of the bands topping last.fm

animal collective is hyped beyond their skills too now imo. however panda bear's solo "person pitch" is a masterpiece imo. they definitely have talent, but I don't get a lot of their weird stuff

Muse has literally grown worse as their popularity rises. Bands like them and Kings of Leon almost seem handpicked by the majors to start churning out lame "hit" singles.

Girl Talk - I see the appeal in his live DJ sets but this guy is not a genius. 2 many DJs did it earlier and better. I don't get the concept of him as an "artist," even some popular anti-copyright documentary called "RiP!: A Remix Manifesto" made him out as some kind of hero. Anyone with Ableton can mash-up a ton of pop songs with crunk accapellas.

M.I.A. - I actually enjoy most of her music, but I just have a feeling she's full of bullshit. At the end of the day it's just her half-ass rapping/singing over some Diplo and Switch instrumentals. The whole political aspect seems superficial. She was on Bill Maher talking about Sri Lanka and was so ignorant about the conflict that Maher actually ripped on her a bit. And I don't quite follow how being a talented beacon for 3rd world pop music fits in with becoming engaged to a heir of a billionaire.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Radiohead is fucking ass.

My first post on any of the watmms, back when I was thesuperbowlisgay, was an anti-radiohead statement.

Coldplay too.

Also, Pink Floyd is overrated in general.

Also, Pink Floyd is overrated in general.

Floyd is overrated cause no one could possibly create music as great as they think their own music is. Their fans also go overboard, but I think if Floyd was comprised of some nicer gents, with some angst but overall modesty then I doubt they would get as much hate as they get. Roger Waters is a fucking genius imo and Animals, WYWH, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle and of course Pipers at the Gates of Dawn (Syd Barrett shining like a diamond on this) are all really good albums with some great honest music. I also respect them for focusing their efforts on creating great albums, rather then tracks/songs. I guess its just a different approach, but for my listening style, nothing beats putting on a good Pink Floyd album. Especially the first few times.

Oh Lord how could I forget?! And proberbly the number one spot too.

The Libertines and anything to do with Pete Doherty. If you live in any part of the planet apart from the UK feel blessed you don't have to put up with it. God The NME just totaly suck his cock. Hate is a strong word but does apply here.

Guest JohnTqs

since i started listening to indie rock i have noticed my borders have expanded a lot...there isn't that much i don't like. i really cannot get into metal though and i think that's because it's actually just a shit genre of music.

No it's because you have a shit taste in music.

i'd have to disagree. maybe we can get together in chat and discuss this?

since i started listening to indie rock i have noticed my borders have expanded a lot...there isn't that much i don't like. i really cannot get into metal though and i think that's because it's actually just a shit genre of music.

Beerwolf's reply makes no sense at all.

Muse has literally grown worse as their popularity rises. Bands like them and Kings of Leon almost seem handpicked by the majors to start churning out lame "hit" singles.

Agreed! I'm embarrassed that I used to like them 4-5 years ago.

Girl Talk - I see the appeal in his live DJ sets but this guy is not a genius. 2 many DJs did it earlier and better. I don't get the concept of him as an "artist," even some popular anti-copyright documentary called "RiP!: A Remix Manifesto" made him out as some kind of hero. Anyone with Ableton can mash-up a ton of pop songs with crunk accapellas.

Yeah fuck this guy, one of the most overhyped hipsters around.

Anyone mention Tiesto yet? :facepalm:

On my behalf it was a silly drunken comment. Wasn't supposed to be serious.

Guest ezkerraldean

99% of all post-punk / rock / indie / whatever since the 80s

ska-punk

black & death metal

wait that was genres not bands lol

Aphex twin squarepusher clark wisp autechre radiohead.

:crazy:

Kidding on aphx btw. And only partially on autechre. radiohead is there just to piss you off :emotawesomepm9:

Guest fogukaup

am i the only fucking person who hates the shit out of ween?

I can't get into ween either. I feel like the Tim and Eric soundtrack executes the same sound but better.

am i the only fucking person who hates the shit out of ween?

I can't get into ween either. I feel like the Tim and Eric soundtrack executes the same sound but better.

:facepalm: i guess some people haven't heard quebec

Guest Backson

its to easy to name this sort of thing, but most reverby guitar music.

dont get me wrong, its nice that people are playing music they like without it being stupid or retarded or pretentious, but crics lazily lay praise on bands that do very little very quitetly and then add shitloads of reverb to it.

i shouldn't hate for the sake of it, but it seems like music that offends the least amount of people is critically praised and considered amazing.

dont get me wrong, its nice that people are playing music they like without it being stupid or retarded or pretentious, but crics lazily lay praise on bands that do very little very quitetly and then add shitloads of reverb to it.

i shouldn't hate for the sake of it, but it seems like music that offends the least amount of people is critically praised and considered amazing.

so how is playing minimal guitar stuff through lots of reverb different to playing minimal synth stuff through lots of reverb ie. saw2?

i'm geniunely interested, because i play minimal ambient guitar music, and would be offended by your comment if i gave a fuck.. i mean, i understand that there are a lot of amateur ambient guitar bands/solo projects out there that are terrible, but stuff like fripp, labradford, pygmalion-era slowdive, etc, IS fucking amazing. music doesn't have to be full of technical proficiency and complexity to be worthwhile, you know :cool::huh::cool::cool::beer::spiteful:

also, i must add: in most cases (well, in my case anyway), it's not about *adding* reverb afterwards, it's about playing to the reverb. when you've got a guitar running through a 30 second reverb you really do have to play pretty minimally unless you want it to end up sounding like a mess!

Guest Backson

so how is playing minimal guitar stuff through lots of reverb different to playing minimal synth stuff through lots of reverb ie. saw2?

i'm geniunely interested, because i play minimal ambient guitar music, and would be offended by your comment if i gave a fuck.. i mean, i understand that there are a lot of amateur ambient guitar bands/solo projects out there that are terrible, but stuff like fripp, labradford, pygmalion-era slowdive, etc, IS fucking amazing. music doesn't have to be full of technical proficiency and complexity to be worthwhile, you know :cool::huh::cool::cool::beer::spiteful:

also, i must add: in most cases (well, in my case anyway), it's not about *adding* reverb afterwards, it's about playing to the reverb. when you've got a guitar running through a 30 second reverb you really do have to play pretty minimally unless you want it to end up sounding like a mess!

okay, i've gone and put my foot in it now...

just an opinion. an opinion in a complaining thread.

and for the record i dont know those bands and i'm sure they're great.

Archived