IGNORED

Why is it that the majority of people who listen to Electronic music don't know about IDM?

Guest PWSTEAL

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

63351342139669493512.jpg

This! It's no wonder IDM breeds pretentiousness considering how shit most other music is.

i have this

20100509_006.jpg

for a second i thought that was a pic of Kcinsu's studio from the 'studio pics' thread. but it's not now i see wha tyou did, clever

63351342139669493512.jpg

This! It's no wonder IDM breeds pretentiousness considering how shit most other music is.

i have this

20100509_006.jpg

for a second i thought that was a pic of Kcinsu's studio from the 'studio pics' thread. but it's not now i see wha tyou did, clever

nah it's just my rickety computer desk, and the flight case to my mixer being used to its full extent as a cup holder

Im starting to think the unpopularity of IDM is more of a gift to us listeners then a problem. Mainly because it keeps the no-talent starved for fame/money fuck heads out of it.

Im starting to think the unpopularity of IDM is more of a gift to us listeners then a problem. Mainly because it keeps the no-talent starved for fame/money fuck heads out of it.

Very true on the *most part.

Very true on the *most part.

Flahbulb

Guest Dirty Protest

If someone in company told me they listened to intelligent dance music, i'ld get up and go over to talk to someone else. My music is smarter than yours is such a twat thing to say.

Guest Lube Saibot

If someone in company told me they listened to intelligent dance music, i'ld get up and go over to talk to someone else. My music is smarter than yours is such a twat thing to say.

Guest mafted

but.. it is. i usually just say 'weird electronic' to try to level with them. how else do you describe the type of music that is a polar opposite (in terms of detail, direction, storylines) to the genre it came from? like with dance music, you listen and it's like a demo for the equipment. i don't see the allure to that, like 'hey, check this out, i know how to use a drum machine', it just seems so contrived. but that's just my opinion. i do think a lot of it is because people want to be lulled by music, instead of challenged. art should challenge, though.

'hey, check this out, i know how to use dblue glitch vst', it just seems so contrived. but that's just my opinion

fixt

so everything that isn't idm and doesn't "challenge" are somehow a lesser form of art? ffffuuuck that is *asplodes*

Guest mafted

'hey, check this out, i know how to use dblue glitch vst', it just seems so contrived. but that's just my opinion

fixt

so everything that isn't idm and doesn't "challenge" are somehow a lesser form of art? ffffuuuck that is *asplodes*

i'm talking about artistic freedom.

Guest disparaissant

i'm listening to lady gaga as i read this topic and it's making me feel severely uncool

Quite, and although I still find some sense of deluded cool in loving music that a lot of others don't seem to I abandoned such elitist attitudes to music when I was about 15. Other people can listen to what they want, I'm not fucked. And anyway, I thought Joyrex had blocked [that acronym] ages ago?

Hail AFX!

We are the A-List Electronic Music Listeners.

Our mission:

The systematic extermination (mass genocide) of D-List Electronic Music Listeners (stuff with 4/4 beats, etc).

It seemed funny to me while it was in my head, the image of a bunch of Nazis lined up except they've got the AFX logo on their flags instead of the swastika.

Just a thought yo!

Todays mainstream media/entertainment is consumed by people who don't put much care or attention into art. If you truly loved a certain form of art, I would think you would put effort into exploring different areas of that format because you'd want to discover all potentials it offers. It has nothing to do with subjectivity and differences of opinions as it has to do with openness to different things. I used to only listen to music from the 60's and 70's... this was about 5 years ago... but a musician friend of mine who also was into the same stuff recommended Squarepusher and Aphex Twin. At first their music was jarring and very uncomfortable. It took a little bit of time for me to come to appreciate it. I think I was able to understand AFX and other similar artists fairly quickly though because of my introverted personality. I love independence and being able to daydream and think on my own terms, and I think "IDM" or whatever you want to call it, allows the mind to explore more... at least compared to most music which often tells a story or wears its emotion on its sleeve. Art as someone said is challenging, it has to be... and the majority of the human population have an innate need to stick together and relish together in similar interests. Mainstream media just happens to be the easiest most accessible entertainment, and most people who are concerned with getting a job or whatever don't have the energy or time to really explore the potential of music and art.

Guest disparaissant

Todays mainstream media/entertainment is consumed by people who don't put much care or attention into art. If you truly loved a certain form of art, I would think you would put effort into exploring different areas of that format because you'd want to discover all potentials it offers. It has nothing to do with subjectivity and differences of opinions as it has to do with openness to different things. I used to only listen to music from the 60's and 70's... this was about 5 years ago... but a musician friend of mine who also was into the same stuff recommended Squarepusher and Aphex Twin. At first their music was jarring and very uncomfortable. It took a little bit of time for me to come to appreciate it. I think I was able to understand AFX and other similar artists fairly quickly though because of my introverted personality. I love independence and being able to daydream and think on my own terms, and I think "IDM" or whatever you want to call it, allows the mind to explore more... at least compared to most music which often tells a story or wears its emotion on its sleeve. Art as someone said is challenging, it has to be... and the majority of the human population have an innate need to stick together and relish together in similar interests. Mainstream media just happens to be the easiest most accessible entertainment, and most people who are concerned with getting a job or whatever don't have the energy or time to really explore the potential of music and art.

pretentious.txt

If you let your fear of intellectual elitism get too strong, you'll go down a dangerous path.

Besides, you could launch the very same argument against any style of music.

"I like to listen to dance music."

"WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT YOUR STYLE OF MUSIC IS BETTER TO DANCE TO THAN MY STYLE? I CAN BLOODY WELL DANCE TO WHATEVER STYLE OF MUSIC I WANT TO DANCE TO"

But what's the point.

Guest Dirty Protest

If you let your fear of intellectual elitism get too strong, you'll go down a dangerous path.

Besides, you could launch the very same argument against any style of music.

"I like to listen to dance music."

"WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT YOUR STYLE OF MUSIC IS BETTER TO DANCE TO THAN MY STYLE? I CAN BLOODY WELL DANCE TO WHATEVER STYLE OF MUSIC I WANT TO DANCE TO"

But what's the point.

Intellectual elitism though AE? I can think of another word ending in ism.

pretentious.txt

Top track right now in the US

How unique does this sound to other current mainstream music? Also I am not saying mainstream music is bad, I'm saying listening to only one style of music is bad.

From my perspective the mainstream music of the past decade all kind of sounds the same.

A good analogy for all of this is food. Something exotic might not be too pleasing at first, but if you try it a few times you might grow to like it. Anecdotal evidence shows me that some people don't like going outside their comfort zones. i.e. conservatives usually.

Guest disparaissant

art is entirely subjective. idm is no more artistic than any other artistic endeavour. what you see as challenging mind-juice, others see as noisy garbage, or max/msp wankery.

and be realistic, comparing mainstream music to anything is just kind of unfair. it's like comparing picasso to a cereal box. they're both artistic, but they serve entirely different purposes.

reply to your edit: this is true, but indian food and a cheeseburger are both food and both serve a purpose. just because indian food is exotic does not mean it's more food-like than a cheeseburger. also you are not a better person for eating nothing but indian food, though you may be in better shape than someone who eats nothing but cheeseburgers.

Archived