IGNORED

Once the compact disc is finally laid to rest...

Alzado

when i was younger, we used to get cassette singles. that never stopped me from buying or appreciating albums. i dont see why it will be any different in the future. so people like just songs and some people like getting into artists, that wont change.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i was younger, we used to get cassette singles. that never stopped me from buying or appreciating albums. i dont see why it will be any different in the future. so people like just songs and some people like getting into artists, that wont change.

Exactly. 7"s were popular, cassette singles were popular, CD singles were somewhat popular (I think), downloads are popular. The album will survive!

i can't remember the last time I bought a CD.

most people don't listen to albums any more. they buy a couple songs from itunes and the rest of the tracks are never heard.

but the people you are describing probably never bought albums in the past, or if they did it was only to hear 1-2 tracks they heard on the radio

you are describing someone who's not really a big music fan, a sideline music listener who buys singles on itunes. Music aficionados will always be listening to albums. The majority of music 'listeners' are brain dead auto-piloters, we're the cool ones!

who here still buys new cds more often than vinyl or digital?

I don't have a turntable and refuse to pay for mp3s if there's a physical release. CDs all the way.

This. I only buy digital if it's one of my favorite artists releasing something digital-only. But I hate doing it. I will never buy digital if there's a physical release available for the same amount of money or less (as is often the case with used CDs).

ever consider getting a turntable? it's a nice investment to make

I don't particularly see why you would want to buy CDs anymore. Companies offer up wav files for download (well some of them, and more will move this way in the future as bandwidth prices decreases (hah, I can dream right?)) and CDs are a pain in the ass to move.

The manufacture and transport of CDs takes incredible amounts of energy and oil, if you're for a cleaner earth, then step up.

Records are also a pain in the ass to move, but I understand the nostalgia for them, plus DJing with them is a lot of fun. They also have the same problems in manufacturing costs as CDs, though not in as large a quantity obviously.

i can't remember the last time I bought a CD.

most people don't listen to albums any more. they buy a couple songs from itunes and the rest of the tracks are never heard. this is inevitable. I'm not advocating it. But I believe it will happen.

Who are these "most people", and why are you associating with them?

That quite a retarded methodology for a music collection.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I'm all in favor of musicians creating other forms of art, but I don't "wish" death upon the album format. Fuck that, are you nuts? I love albums. My love for EPs has increased over recent years too, as there is no room for filler so that's cool (directly related to my diminished attention span, I'm sure). But I don't want just a bunch of singles. Meh.

LONG LIVE THE ALBUM!

And I don't want my CDs to be worthless. :cry: I want to pass on my collection to future generations. However, maybe I won't have a future generation.

I cant remember last time I bought a woman, you can find pictures of boobs and vaginas on the internet. in the future there will only be boobs and vaginas, no women.

either way, it's a shame that recordable MiniDiscs never picked up momentum in the 90s, as they are a damn good format. even more so now we have Hi-MD

I miss MiniDisc. I could take or leave prerecorded ones, but it was ace the way you could move tracks around, and delete one from anywhere you wanted in the tracklist leaving everything intact. When I finally get my seperates back, I have MD, tape and vinyl along with my CD player. All it needs is an 8-track cartridge player.

either way, it's a shame that recordable MiniDiscs never picked up momentum in the 90s, as they are a damn good format. even more so now we have Hi-MD

I miss MiniDisc. I could take or leave prerecorded ones, but it was ace the way you could move tracks around, and delete one from anywhere you wanted in the tracklist leaving everything intact. When I finally get my seperates back, I have MD, tape and vinyl along with my CD player. All it needs is an 8-track cartridge player.

well i've had a Hi-MD recorder ever since i got rid of my piece of shit iPod touch, and i've been very happy with it. that and my records are all i listen to music with nowadays. occasionally checking out stuff with the computer, but i've not got my computer hooked into my stereo amp so if there's anything i wanna listen to seriously, i just whack it on a MiniDisc. doesn't take long. i got 9 1GB Hi-MD blanks, and 9 standard MD blanks that are waiting to have stuff put on them

well i've had a Hi-MD recorder ever since i got rid of my piece of shit iPod touch, and i've been very happy with it. that and my records are all i listen to music with nowadays. occasionally checking out stuff with the computer, but i've not got my computer hooked into my stereo amp so if there's anything i wanna listen to seriously, i just whack it on a MiniDisc. doesn't take long. i got 9 1GB Hi-MD blanks, and 9 standard MD blanks that are waiting to have stuff put on them

i have a huge bag full of minidiscs, i didn't realize i had that many ... i have a sony that at the time was top of the line but beside the technology it is built like a fucking tank, all metal and nice (plus the rechargeable battery has never ran out.. goes to show that you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics

my sister gave me her portable md player as well, it's more modern not hi def either, it does have skip resistance cause it's a "sport", a little bit bigger than my original and also plastic rather than metal, i love these things

who here still buys new cds more often than vinyl or digital?

I don't have a turntable and refuse to pay for mp3s if there's a physical release. CDs all the way.

This. I only buy digital if it's one of my favorite artists releasing something digital-only. But I hate doing it. I will never buy digital if there's a physical release available for the same amount of money or less (as is often the case with used CDs).

ever consider getting a turntable? it's a nice investment to make

Yeah, I'd love to have one as I do have some records that I bought during the early 90s when I lived with my parents and appropriated their turntable until I moved out. However, I'm a collector and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on CDs over the past 2 decades...something I don't want to get sucked into again with vinyl. It's definitely a cooler format with great big artwork, but I just can't get into that habit and with my collector/addictive personality, it's asking for trouble really.

I don't particularly see why you would want to buy CDs anymore. Companies offer up wav files for download (well some of them, and more will move this way in the future as bandwidth prices decreases (hah, I can dream right?)) and CDs are a pain in the ass to move.

Tangible format, plain and simple. I'm just not down the concept of paying for a digital file and not having anything but that to show for it.

Yeah, I'm still a purely CDs guy. Portable AND fetishistic. I can't carry a turn table with me everywhere I go, and I can't love me an mp3 --I've tried, and it just don't work.

And that sucks about minidiscs... I was hoping maybe it was just that nowhere was carrying them where I live, but if they've been ceased altogether I need an entirely new sampling method for field trips.

Tangible format, plain and simple. I'm just not down the concept of paying for a digital file and not having anything but that to show for it.

When you buy a CD you are buying a digital file on a round shiny disc. When that round shiny disc is scratched to shit, what are you gonna do, buy it again?

Plus, CDs cost oil to manufacture and ship.

So, buying online (which you can back-up many times over without ripping even once) is the same as buying a CD except you're not taking as many non-renewable resources out of the Earth when you do it.

The environmentalist in me may one day win out over the CD hoarder and make the conversion to digital. It'll be the same day I become a vegetarian, something I've been considering recently. I don't think I'm quite ready yet.

Man once you have to move a medium sized CD collection overseas a couple of times, you'll get rid of it in a hurry. lol

Fuck buying files. Something I can wait for in the post, open the envelope, hold, look through the artwork, play wherever I want, and have in a physical collection, yes please. I've been collecting CDs for 15 years now, I'm not going to convert to 'I want to listen to a song, wait a minute, just turning my computer on... hmm. Ok, now loading up some software. Where's that file? Ah, here, now, play!' when I can have the album sat on a shelf next to me.

'Oh no, my computer's fucked' - where do you go then? Wait for repair and twiddle your thumbs? Press the wrong key at the wrong time and your files are lost, there's not really a comparison for CDs, unless you happen to sit around with a disc in one hand and a razor in the other by habit.

Vinyl never sat right with me, I like an uninterrupted listening experience and listening to, say, Untilted and swapping sides every song or two would fuck me off very quickly indeed. For me, CDs are the convenient but tangible midground between mp3 and vinyl and I will continue to buy them until the day I/they die.

i like digital albums bc first you can acquire them instantly, but also musicians can make any length they wish w/o having to change discs / flip vinyl etc. when you're tripping on sunshine the last thing you want is to come back to reality enough to make it to your stereo and competently use your hands whilst flying through the cosmos. wadda buzzkill. (i speak from personal experience LOL)

i buy mainly cds these days with vinyl when the artworks is nice or digital (flac/wav) when its the only format around or cassette because cassette is cassette :-). there is a recent interview with one of the guy of matmos & he said the only thing (personal matmos material) he lost was digital archives via HD. also when i get mp3, digital i often (really often) forget those mp3s while a quick look at my records, reminds me of the good ones to play at irresponsible volume (i never forgot the AFX binder..)

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

i buy mainly cds these days with vinyl when the artworks is nice or digital (flac/wav) when its the only format around or cassette because cassette is cassette :-). there is a recent interview with one of the guy of matmos & he said the only thing (personal matmos material) he lost was digital archives via HD. also when i get mp3, digital i often (really often) forget those mp3s while a quick look at my records, reminds me of the good ones to play at irresponsible volume (i never forgot the AFX binder..)

I have about 20 gigs of music files, and I hate the feeling that they may be instantly lost, or corrupted etc. It's like a bomb with a timer or a hot potato. Woah! I am pressing my luck my HD is 5 years old better transfer these bitches for security! Is this HD even quality? etc.. However I can buy the moldiest vinyl LP that has sat stinking on a concrete block in a basement for 40 years and play it well and true. The vinyl format is hardcore and I appreciate that over ease.

I have about 20 gigs of music files, and I hate the feeling that they may be instantly lost, or corrupted etc. It's like a bomb with a timer or a hot potato. Woah! I am pressing my luck my HD is 5 years old better transfer these bitches for security! Is this HD even quality? etc.. However I can buy the moldiest vinyl LP that has sat stinking on a concrete block in a basement for 40 years and play it well and true. The vinyl format is hardcore and I appreciate that over ease.

Backups are easy. And you know that's not true with vinyl. It warps, gets scratched plus it degrades with each play.

I love vinyl as well, but let's not exaggerate.

When you buy a CD you are buying a digital file on a round shiny disc. When that round shiny disc is scratched to shit, what are you gonna do, buy it again?

Plus, CDs cost oil to manufacture and ship.

So, buying online (which you can back-up many times over without ripping even once) is the same as buying a CD except you're not taking as many non-renewable resources out of the Earth when you do it.

Again, tangible format. It's not just the CD, it's the packaging, the artwork, the item I can look forward to receiving, play on the stereo if I want, etc. The non-renewable resources you speak of, I've unfortunately been addicted to for the last 20 years. Yes I can burn a CD of of the mp3s, I can back up the mp3s, but it's still not the same no matter what you tell me. :tongue:

Man once you have to move a medium sized CD collection overseas a couple of times, you'll get rid of it in a hurry. lol

I haven't had to move mine overseas and I can see that costing a bit, but I have moved it many times within a city and once across the country. Not too bad, they fit neatly into boxes.

I also agree with what k h o v said just above, it's easy to forget you have certain things when they're just files on your computer. It's nice to browse a physical collection once in a while and say "ah yes, THAT album! Lets pull that one down shall we" and reminisce a bit while checking out the artwork/packaging.

Digital files are very practical and environmentally friendly but incredibly boring otherwise (aside from the music contained). I spend enough time on the computer as it is so I'm not pleased with just viewing artwork there. Looking at art sites versus flipping through an art book? Book please.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

Backups are easy. And you know that's not true with vinyl. It warps, gets scratched plus it degrades with each play.

I love vinyl as well, but let's not exaggerate.

"Easy" is a relative mess. Yes the art and paperstock might be destroyed. vinyl can warp or what haves true. right about that. there is something about a format you might use as a coaster that is awesome to the extends.

Archived