IGNORED

The Walking Dead - AMC TV Series (spoilers everywhere)

Rubin Farr

Hmmmmm... at least it doesn't take place in a forest - yet.

By the way, was it the rip I downloaded (yeah, I did something bad) or was the sound mix all over the place? It sounds like they have a compressor that was fucking everything up. All the loud effects were turned down immediately, and when there was nothing but a roomtone or some background effects it was louder than the dialogue that came after it.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it sounded brickwalled to me as well.

But how can that be? The channel must have some ITU/EBU settings that each show must follow, right?

But yeah, it's way overcompressed.

Ah, I take it all back after reading this post I found on a sound forum:

"While I haven't heard the second season of the show, I agree with Gary on this. As a re-recording mixer, I have heard plenty of my shows degrade once on air. One of the biggest things we are faced with now is the use of expanders by the networks. In a misguided attempt to compete with the volume levels of commercials, broadcasters are resorting to expanders in order to keep program material at an 'average' raised level. In effect they are trying to reduce any sort of dynamics on a program so the 'viewer' doesn't complain about low volume. By doing this you get a pumping effect between dialogue lines where the dynamics are low, which in turn brings up the ambiances that are playing low in the mix. The level bumps of the ambiances could easily be the result of the expanders. Also, as Gary also pointed out, you never know how broadcasters are airing your show. I worked on a show that was having its video transmitted via satellite, audio via landlines, having both signals recoded onto a recycled Beta SP, and then re-transmitted via microwave to the local service provider. Can't really compensate for that. I know that once the mix leaves my stage it's out of my hands and it can be really depressing to watch a show I've spent a lot of time working on get butchered, but you do the best you can."

it sounded brickwalled to me as well.

But how can that be? The channel must have some ITU/EBU settings that each show must follow, right?

But yeah, it's way overcompressed.

this was a rip, so i'm guessing incompetence.

By the way, was it the rip I downloaded (yeah, I did something bad) or was the sound mix all over the place? It sounds like they have a compressor that was fucking everything up. All the loud effects were turned down immediately, and when there was nothing but a roomtone or some background effects it was louder than the dialogue that came after it.

Remaining episodes are shot in Vancouver, so expect plenty of forest lol.

And i fucking hate the use of expanders in TV/Movies - that "pumping" effect the guy was talking about fucks up the levels so bad, you've got the volume cranked trying ot hear the dialogue and then "aghhhh holy fuck turn it off" as a car crash on screen punctures your ear drums. Awful.

I've been experiencing the opposite, loud explosions get squashed to shit and when there's just quiet ambient sounds they go at full blast.

I've been experiencing the opposite, loud explosions get squashed to shit and when there's just quiet ambient sounds they go at full blast.

That's the exact same thing I've experienced. It sounds like someone left a compressor on the master track with a really low threshold, so every time there's a sfx that's supposed to be loud the threshold keeps it down. But then on the other hand all the ambience sfx are super loud.

What chen is talking about sounds like a bad mix or people trying to avoid the LUFS by brickwalling the shit out of their commercials.

Remaining episodes are shot in Vancouver, so expect plenty of forest lol.

And i fucking hate the use of expanders in TV/Movies - that "pumping" effect the guy was talking about fucks up the levels so bad, you've got the volume cranked trying ot hear the dialogue and then "aghhhh holy fuck turn it off" as a car crash on screen punctures your ear drums. Awful.

I didn't notice anything on my copy (played through an amp/5.1). Only time I really noticed the sound in a conspicuous way was with the old man wheezing in the bed, which sounded too loud, but was probably just done for effect, and kindof worked anyway.

I quite liked it I have to say.

Jeez, they're really getting heavy handed with the social commentary on the spinoff. I'm starting to think Kirkman (a 36 year old) started his production meetings like "ok, this is our chance to be deep" I'll give him a pass on the teen angst, but it's really cliched. they finally pull out their Apple earbuds, to face the real world, groan. At least the writers know you crush up an Oxy to snort it. and bringing the whole black lives matter movement into it seems incredibly timely but will be lost on future audiences. "we want to be part of something that matters, who cares if it's legitimate or not?"

On the other hand, seeing the Los Angeles population come to terms with the end of the world in only the 2nd episode gives me hope, the fat kid had it all figured out already. the teens are stupid teens, we get it. but having the audience know more than any character on the show gives it a horror movie vibe (RIP Wes Craven) like "don't go down in the basement!"

When Moby chimed in at the end, my gf groaned, which made me lol. they really need to get the fuck out of Dodge, it's only gonna go downhill from there. and that Hispanic lady, who looks to be in her 50s is pregnant? going to the desert is the smarted thing they can do, stock up and get some firearms (cue the commentary on US gun culture). I'm hoping the social commentary doesn't end up outweighing the entertainment value, but we'll see...

i just noticed on ep2 that Atticus Ross from NIN does the synth drone over the titles

Fear the walking dead - Watched the pilot & 2nd episode. I can say I'll be hate-watching this show from now on hoping the cast gets decimated. This cast makes The Walking Dead actors look like mulitple SAG/Emmy award winners. I despise them all. Especially the teens. Fuck this show.

• 2 weeks later...

The ignorance among the men is ridiculous. The power grid has failed, most hospitals are FUBAR, yet some random asian guy goes to the airport, his flight is canceled, he drives all the way home and is STILL oblivious to the end of the world? FFS

Has this show just been reduced to social justice issue of the week? Zombie infection = Hurricane Katrina now, apparently. why was the daughter pricking herself with a needle? At first, I thought she was trying to feign an addiction to get more meds for her brother, but is she just a really lame cutter?

^ Hard to say, but I think the answer is "This show is fucking terrible."

GAh...new page. meant for Rubin.

Edited by olo

Has this show just been reduced to social justice issue of the week? Zombie infection = Hurricane Katrina now, apparently. why was the daughter pricking herself with a needle? At first, I thought she was trying to feign an addiction to get more meds for her brother, but is she just a really lame cutter?

she was making a tattoo out of the spiral jobbie her bf drew on her arm. not getting any social justice vibes from the show at all.

If I can kick this, maybe I can also cut ties with the main show finally? Pray for your boy.

you don't need to kick it, there's only like 2 episodes more or something.

I have to say I'm digging this show, better than the other one. Last episode was the best yet. Liked the ominous vibes coming from the army dudes and barber dude's death squad parallels.

she was making a tattoo out of the spiral jobbie her bf drew on her arm. not getting any social justice vibes from the show at all.

Ah I didn't catch that thx