IGNORED

Internet Dating

Rubin Farr

the falling in love thread made me think of this. found the last 3 women i've dated online, and jut met someone new. my brother met his wife on a personals page. so what's the consensus here, is it for losers or have IDM hipsters accepted it as a new part of life?

i'll add the :facepalm: and save you the trouble.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the falling in love thread made me think of this. found the last 3 women i've dated online, and jut met someone new. my brother met his wife on a personals page. so what's the consensus here, is it for losers or have IDM hipsters accepted it as a new part of life?

i'll add the :facepalm: and save you the trouble.

IDK, love found me when i stopped looking for it.

Guest El_Chemso

I know two good mates who have found partners through internet dating. Deep down I'm sort of like WTF. But in reality the daily life shift often makes it hard to meet decent new people.

Guest happycase

I think a lot of people are better at expressing themselves and being authentic online. You're free of the pressure to perform on the spot. Granted, we tend to present ourselves in more of a positive light online because we have time to and we can - but we do that in person, too. Either way, you're expressing some part of your personality, even if you're a fraud on all accounts.

You can also weave a lot of fantasies around someone's indefinite online persona. It can probably be disappointing to find out that your dream girl has an insufferable voice, or that her body language annoys you.

Anyway, I'm all for it. I love chatting with people online.

Before we hooked up Me and my gf were chatting on msn for almost a year. It assured both of us that we would make a good team.

If we didn't live so far apart we would probably hang out instead.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Not for me, I'd be too skeptical about the kind of people you'd meet, i.e people who are not skeptical enough

One of my roommates does this. She got a few of our friends doing it, too.

I haven't really seen a whole lot of success from it. She goes on a lot of dates, but she keeps ending up with her ex boyfriend.

:shrug:

Guest happycase

how do find out if your penis fits snuggly in her vagina?

Mannnnn, no worries. If the personalities match, her pussy is tight as fuck.

One of my roommates does this. She got a few of our friends doing it, too.

I haven't really seen a whole lot of success from it. She goes on a lot of dates, but she keeps ending up with her ex boyfriend.

:shrug:

I'm adamantly opposed to making an effort to finding love online. I just think it can happen. I would never get my friends into that shit.

I use a dating site. Haven't been too active with it lately though, since I'm trying to figure my life out n' shit.

Pros: It is 95% girls on the rebound, so getting laid is like shooting fish in a barrel. And honestly, that's all you should use it for. After college ended, I'm stuck in a town where I don't know too many people, so the dry spell woulda been fuckin' excruciating if it weren't for the internet showing me the way. Also, after several dates with girls I would have otherwise never met, or have little in common with, I do have a better idea of what type of girl I would want to be with for a long period of time, when that happens.

Cons: Some awkward dates with girls you just want to abandon on the spot. It can be addictive and time consuming.

Guest iamabe

I use a dating site. Haven't been too active with it lately though, since I'm trying to figure my life out n' shit.

Pros: It is 95% girls on the rebound, so getting laid is like shooting fish in a barrel. And honestly, that's all you should use it for. After college ended, I'm stuck in a town where I don't know too many people, so the dry spell woulda been fuckin' excruciating if it weren't for the internet showing me the way. Also, after several dates with girls I would have otherwise never met, or have little in common with, I do have a better idea of what type of girl I would want to be with for a long period of time, when that happens.

Cons: Some awkward dates with girls you just want to abandon on the spot. It can be addictive and time consuming.

Damn, I've used OKCupid for like a month now and I've had one date so far, and it was with a girl who I wanted to abandon on the spot. So you're saying the next 19 dates will be fuckfests?

Damn, I've used OKCupid for like a month now and I've had one date so far, and it was with a girl who I wanted to abandon on the spot. So you're saying the next 19 dates will be fuckfests?

The only person I've met from OKCupid is a somewhat overweight /b/tard who likes hallucinogenic drugs. At least we both like The Mighty Boosh.

That's the site I'm on, and we're both from the Boston area, so we're probably scrolling through the match searches looking at the same girls. Weird! Yes, have patience, interesting stuff will happen.

But as someone else put it on WATMM, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd". This is a perfect way to describe online dating and all the hilarity that ensues.

Also, after several dates with girls I would have otherwise never met, or have little in common with, I do have a better idea of what type of girl I would want to be with for a long period of time, when that happens.

This is spot on. It's really just practice and getting to know different types of people to help you figure out what you want and don't want.

I do a bit of online dating here and there. Only had one serious relationship out of it though, and that was my last girlfriend. We lasted 4 1/2 years but really it should have ended sooner. We didn't meet on a dating site though, we met through Friendster (the site that was big before MySpace). Though I was cruising for chicks :whistling: . Anyway, I see no problem or connection between success rates of relationships started online versus those started face to face. I always prefer to end up in a relationship with someone I was friends with first, but that can happen online too. In fact that's pretty much what I'm doing now, just a bit of casual dating, not looking to get serious, looking for (female) friends for the most part, and if something comes out of it, cool, if not, I'm not in a hurry. I should point out also that I do this because I don't know too many people in town. Though I do know one girl who is trying to set me up with a friend. Hopefully her friend isn't looking to get married any time soon.

Guest pulsewarrior

2 online experiences - one was a craigslist hookup - girl was very very hot, all good. 2nd was match.com, completely bogus. I'll never forget meeting her....complete opposite of how she looked in pics....complete biy0tch in person, a weird 180....anyway she walked out of her apt towards me and all i could see were waves of celluliod crashing all about her legs. i almost lost my lunch. hung out with her for 20 minutes, got up and said "OK! I've got to go but take care". Never spoke again, never tried anything online. Indeed, the odds are good but the goods are odd. Too much room for deception on many levels. I suppose the most famous is probably the whole body description thing.

I give online dating a Yay, whatever makes you happy, do it, it can be legit. Personally I've got a wtf attitude about it though...a nagging stigmatization that could never allow me to go through with it (again). Kind of embarrassing really. I always imagine meeting a girl online and having relationship and getting the inevitable inquisition from a friend or family member..."soooo, how'd you guys meet ????"

:facepalm:

but hey man. whatever works for you.

Archived