IGNORED

Apple's Ping

Joyrex

hmmm. i'm using this now and it's hardly a last.fm replacement. it only seems to be linked to music i buy in itunes, and i don't buy music in itunes. it isn't tracking what i listen to at all. maybe there's a way to do that, but i'm not seeing it. i'll stick to last.fm.

If that's true, then that's a huge FAIL on Apple's part - I don't buy music from iTunes either.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean, you can click "like" under an artist in the itunes store, although even then, it isn't adding that artist to my liked list. it only seems to add things i've purchased from itunes. so this is just a half baked last.fm then.

oh, and there's a ten song maximum for what you can like that will display. everything else is done in little facebook status updates. wow this is actually total shit.

i mean, you can click "like" under an artist in the itunes store, although even then, it isn't adding that artist to my liked list. it only seems to add things i've purchased from itunes. so this is just a half baked last.fm then.

oh, and there's a ten song maximum for what you can like that will display. everything else is done in little facebook status updates. wow this is actually total shit.

Wow, I haven't used it yet, but that doesn't sound too promising. Do you think you're doing it right?

hmmm. i'm using this now and it's hardly a last.fm replacement. it only seems to be linked to music i buy in itunes, and i don't buy music in itunes. it isn't tracking what i listen to at all. maybe there's a way to do that, but i'm not seeing it. i'll stick to last.fm.

If that's true, then that's a huge FAIL on Apple's part - I don't buy music from iTunes either.

Ditto. Although I suspect this shit was rolled out pretty buggy; there's currently some confusion as to whether there will be facebook integration, too. Rumor has it apple and facebook were in talks, but facebook's terms were "onerous" according to apple. Privacy issues, probably. Fucking Zuckerberg!

The last.fm client/scrobbler plays nice with iTunes and my iPod anyway, so no problems there.

iTunes 10 does seem a bit quicker/more stable on OS X 10.6.4, which is really all I give a fuck about. The vertical traffic lights are pretty egregious, though, in terms of disrupting the OS X UI conventions. But iTunes is always such a bastard in that respect, I guess. At least brushed metal isn't back.

i literally just made my account, so i might be doing it all wrong. but i am pretty convinced that this is linked up with the itunes store purchases and nothing else. i added a bunch of artists to my "likes" and it says there's a ten song maximum for the display in the upper right corner. and then it does a little status update a la facebook or twitter saying that i liked something. but i can't really see the usefulness in this versus the scrobbling i can do with last.fm where everything is automated. this is just kind of a pain in the ass.

With ping, will you be able to "Scrobble" once and then listen to your library anytime, anywhere as long as there is internet? Essentially having your music collection with you, without needing to take up space with large files? If not, fuck ping.

no, not at all. as far as i can tell, there is no scrobbling function. you'd think with something integrated right into itunes it could track what you're listening to, but no. instead, there's a little top ten in the upper right corner. then you make little status updates of music you like. so, for instance, i am playing a copy of "i care because you do" that i ripped to my computer. i have to go the itunes store, find that album, click "like", and then the status update displays that i now like this album. it's absolute garbage, as someone else said.

no, not at all. as far as i can tell, there is no scrobbling function. you'd think with something integrated right into itunes it could track what you're listening to, but no. instead, there's a little top ten in the upper right corner. then you make little status updates of music you like. so, for instance, i am playing a copy of "i care because you do" that i ripped to my computer. i have to go the itunes store, find that album, click "like", and then the status update displays that i now like this album. it's absolute garbage, as someone else said.

Wow that sounds awful. I feared it might be too tied-in with the iTunes store. Fuck that shit, what a major fail on their part of that's the case.

genius failed too. will download itunes 10 now and find out myself

hmm i quite like genius, it isn't perfect and it's quite predictable... but it's more reliable than seaching by genre and can create a decent playlist. it'd be great if you could link 'rarer' artists though, to expand the artists that get searched.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Seriously guys?

Okay, here's how it works:

Microsoft

Price: Mid

Modularity: Mid

Ease/Reliability: Mid

Apple

Price: High

Modularity: Low

Ease/Reliability: High

Linux

Price: Low

Modularity: High

Ease/Reliability: Low

Now stop bitching about this OS/company/hardware being better than that one. They have different ideologies and goals.

PS: Sounds like Ping sucks a butt.

sounds like what spotify + facebook + last.fm does

spotfiy plays your music, streamed or locally

spotify lets your friends know what you are listening to as you can connect facebook to spotify and share playlists and so forth

spotify also scrobbles to last.fm

but you can also use spotify without facebook or last.fm

but I guess you don't have spotfy in america?

appears i'm correct. here's a little review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/pda/2010/sep/02/apple-itunes-ping

huge fail on apple's part. if you're going to take something as well developed as last.fm and try to make it mainstream, at least do it right.

Well then. I guess there is zero incentive for me to try it out. What silliness.

Wonder if Apple will listen to the public like they did with the recessed headphone issue. My feeling is no, seeing how much suckitude is involved with Genius.

I still want one of those new iPod touches though. *checks credit card limit* *dances little jig*

Archived