IGNORED

REALITY CHECK: IDM stars have rubbish personalities

Guest Promo

Fuck it I'm gonna mention names 'cause I don't give a fook lol.

Cylob for one that guy is a right grumpy cunt. I chatted to him a few times here and there and he's just miserable and stand offish. Guy needs to get a life big time. No wonder his career has gone down the pan lol.

Aphex is dull as fuck and frightened of god knows what? Oh boo hoo people wanna get to know you 'cause they like your music .. oh get over yourself lol. Oh yeah and he looks miserable as sin in any interviews he's done and talks in this dull as fuck monotone voice. Seems like he's now cookooned himself in Cornwall or wherever the fuck it is.

Squarepusher is a pretty nice guy I would say and interviews fairly well. He smiles and tries to have a laugh but nevertheless you can tell he's uncomfortable and lacking in confidence. Shame.

Venetian Snares is just weird especially after having seen a few interviews of him Youtube.

Example of a good interview (sorry I know its Photek but it illustrates the point):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fLzaFeSuNA&feature=related

Eample of bad interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnelbLU_Izc&feature=related

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tht tne

Cylob for one that guy is a right grumpy cunt. I chatted to him a few times here and there and he's just miserable and stand offish. Guy needs to get a life big time. No wonder his career has gone down the pan lol.

cylob ever had a career? lol

Cylob for one that guy is a right grumpy cunt. I chatted to him a few times here and there and he's just miserable and stand offish.

i thought he was alright when i spoke to him. he was quite smiley. maybe he just didn't like you? :)

sorry, what?

remember that even smaller 'stars' if they're under obligation by the record company etc. might need to do 30 interviews a day for a week if they're promoting a new album or something. 30 interviews of the same boring questions being interviewed by people who don't like the music in the first place most likely.

it's not normal human interaction.

nothing against photek, but i don't really get what's exceptional about that interview? because he's doing it sat next to a mixing board with sunglasses on being interviewed by some woman who had a song with the lyrics "there are no humans anymore"...?

fuck off

The difference is plain as day lol. Photek is relaxed, his body language is super comfortable, he has a good little playful tease thing going on with the interviewer, generally isn't that serious, he's jokey and its a pleasure to watch.

Aphex by contrast is very quiet spoken, clearly uncomfortable, he's unable to give proper eye contact, his voice is bland, there is no sense of humour and he has to be led through out the interviewer like a little boy.

Not hating but really if you think that's a good interview then that's just like saying to someone you have a lousy personality but its cool everything will be great in your life - that's a lie.

Cylob for one that guy is a right grumpy cunt. I chatted to him a few times here and there and he's just miserable and stand offish.

i thought he was alright when i spoke to him. he was quite smiley. maybe he just didn't like you? :)

Yeah, I would agree that that logic would normally follow except to say that everyone else who I know whose met him has said the same.

well no, i just think you've got a pretty weird viewpoint to be honest

you just seem like you really want to have some sort of "connection" to your electronic music heroes and feel a bit let down that they're not really interested in making that fan connection,

Are you serious lol? Honestly I couldn't give a monkeys straight up. I like their music and always will but its real simple I am able distinguish a person's music from a person's personality. For instance some people have a great personality but sucky music. I would hope you are able to do the same. ;p

Oh and I've never wanted a connection. The only person I spoke to ever was Cylob only 'cause I met him about 17 years ago before he was even Cylob (Kinesthesia) so out of politeness if I bumped into him in London would say hi. Now its hardly my fault if the guy is fucked up with awkwardness is it lol.

that photek vid may be an example of an easy going guy whose easy to talk to, but an example of a good interview? fuck no.

Oh come on its certainly better than any Aphex interview that's for sure lol!!

well no, i just think you've got a pretty weird viewpoint to be honest

you just seem like you really want to have some sort of "connection" to your electronic music heroes and feel a bit let down that they're not really interested in making that fan connection,

Are you serious lol? Honestly I couldn't give a monkeys straight up. I like their music and always will but its real simple I am able distinguish a person's music from a person's personality. For instance some people have a great personality but sucky music. I would hope you are able to do the same.

Oh and I've never wanted a connection. The only person I spoke to ever was Cylob only 'cause I met him about 17 years ago before he was even Cylob (Kinesthesia) so out of politeness if I bumped into him in London would say hi. Now its hardly my fault if the guy is fucked up with awkwardness is it lol.

yeah i didn't mean to sound really harsh or anything but an interview isn't really a very good indicator of what someone's like is it?

imagine if people were judging you on footage of job interviews... fair enough comparison - most the questions that people get asked are as rote and boring. now imagine that there was no prospect of a job at the end...

Well for me life is about having fun in all situations. Why limit it to specific ones eh? :-)

Bottomline is though we can only judge Aphex, Squarepusher n Snares on the footage out there and the same goes for any others. I'll admit I'm prolly being a bit harsh on Snares as there was some better snippets of him from that breakcore doc a while back.

Probably the truth is no one has ever said to Richard, mainly because he's use to sycophants, that you have a dull personality ... why don't you work on improving it. Anyways its his life but I can just see that he's selling himself short in that respect.

Incidentally I chatted to Squarepusher on the phone about 13 years back and he was a bloody nice chap so have personal experience of that and it does [] up (excuse the pun) with the interviews online.

maybe they just don't like talking? y'know, some people are just naturally quiet and don't like talking about themselves much.

others are naturally more outgoing and cheerfull and talkative. an interview shouldn't really be about selling your personality to people anyway.

that female interviewer in the Aphex interview was right up in his face aswell. if he'd have given much eye contact it'd have looked like they were about to kiss. maybe that's what she was after really. lol

didnt cylob state that hed personally try to shoot somebody who labelled him as "IDM"? throw this fake genre in the bin and maybe they'll be nicer to you? :cisfor:

joking aside, squarepusher is a fucking cock. jega levelled on that moffo on the planet-mu board years ago. one of the best rants of all time. fans have been on here saying how rude etc he is to fans. theres just no excuse for shouting and swearing at fans who want to chat with you after your show. you are NOT an autistic genius. you are just a regular person who makes good d&b. shouting and swearing at your fan at your own bloody show is a seriously shit thing. there is an objective reality and your ego doesnt equal the universe! fuck you squarepusher! grow the fuck up :D

Oh my goodness, who cares?

Since when is it a surprise that people who are really good at electronic music are pretty often socially inept weirdos?

It's funny that you judge the way people handle fame when you've never had any yourself, and it's probably reasonable to say you have no clue at all what it's like :cisfor:

Not to mention, how well do you even know these people outside of their interviews, music videos, whatever?

This is all highly silly to me, maybe I just don't understand.

i spoke to one of the phoenecia guys a few years back and as i tried to leave, he grabbed me by the arm, pulled me back, and continued talking!

deadelous is the nicest person i ever talked to in any situation.

i crossed paths with sp at a show he did in hollywood and we shook hands... made eye contact and said nothing to eachother... for some reason, i don't know why, i'm good at shaking hands with complete strangers when walking past them. on one occasion i caressed a random asian girl crossing my path at a hip hop show in long beach... actually she was reaching across me to get the attention of someone else but she caressed back anyway!

roni size was nice... and very short.

went to a party once in silverlake at a house with a load of douchy LA peeps and met dntel... he was the nicest person there.

i think the only artist i met that appeared cocky and snobby was edit.

I think judging people the way Pr0n0 does is a pretty rubbish personality trait.

Archived