IGNORED

geekin out

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

hey all. so in my recent bout of unemployment, ive concocted the idea to create my own video game, despite that i have no experience in computer programming and almost no visual production experience. so ive been doing some research, and it turns out "blender", open source development software, has a built in game engine, and it supposed to be an excellent video game creation tool, supposedly

so what i am wondering is, am i on the right path video game creation? am i wasting my time with blender? this reminds me of when i used to hop around different audio production software before i found ableton live. i wish i wouldnt have wasted so many years on bullshit software. now dont get me wrong, im not trying to develop the next final fantasy, i basically just want to create a badass ufo invasion game, and im willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning how to do it properly

any help would be awesome. thanks!

i dont have any personal experience, but i had a dormmate way back when that focused on that sort of thing and it took him an a buddy FOREVER to create this very simple atari-ish tank game.

Guest cult fiction

Didn't you create a nearly identical thread a long time ago?

Getting to the point where you can write a game from scratch is a loooong journey.

Both of these engines are excellent and would be a great introduction to game development. UDK is the entire Unreal engine, minus source, which was used to make Gears of War and a load of other games...

Unity 3D

UDK

Consider learning Microsoft Visual C# + XNA Framework.

You would have to read through a minimum of two books first (one on C# and one on XNA), but this is actually one of the quickest ways to make some robust games. Still, it would take a very long time considering you have no programming experience yet.

Guest Helper ET

hey guys

so ive been watching some blender tutorials, and im feeling very hopeful for the future. im surprised how much ive learned in a couple hours of screwing around with some buttons, and watching a couple tutorials

thanks for the suggestions, but i think ive now decided to learn blender. it doesnt seem too hard to learn, ill have it down in a couple months

humans gonna fuckin die!

/thread

Guest somebloke

i know '/thread', but i was wondering if you could let us know how much you know about making games, and what related skills you have (regarding art design and whatnot)? it would let us give better advice on how to make what you wanna' make.

i can give you a bit of advice right off the bat though, figure out exactly what you know, what you want to accomplish and how you would go about accomplishing it, then keep adjusting what you want to make until you can do it in a reasonable time-scale.

i reckon anybody could go about doing it with enough resolve and the right approach, but i should probably have disclosed i've never actually made a game or anything.

yeah.

Guest David R James

hey all. so in my recent bout of unemployment, ive concocted the idea to create my own video game, despite that i have no experience in computer programming and almost no visual production experience. so ive been doing some research, and it turns out "blender", open source development software, has a built in game engine, and it supposed to be an excellent video game creation tool, supposedly

so what i am wondering is, am i on the right path video game creation? am i wasting my time with blender? this reminds me of when i used to hop around different audio production software before i found ableton live. i wish i wouldnt have wasted so many years on bullshit software. now dont get me wrong, im not trying to develop the next final fantasy, i basically just want to create a badass ufo invasion game, and im willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning how to do it properly

any help would be awesome. thanks!

i love it when you do this. I wish i could be bothered to try myself. Good luck, let us know when you have created the next minecraft :emotawesomepm9:

I use Game maker 8. I like it, because it's suitable for software idiots such as me, but also lets programming be done if you know how to do it.

Actually I'm just in the middle of making another game this very moment.

Hey everybody, after I got fired from Subway for refusing to serve people sandwiches with meat on them, I decided to move out of my parents' room and find my own place. Now that I have lots of free time and can literally do anything in the world, I have decided to become the president of the United States of America. Any tips on how to do this? Is there an online webinar I can take that will tell me what I need to be a president? Do you think it will take like three hours or longer? Thanks in advance for your help, and vote for me in 2011!

Didn't you already do this once before?

He was going for one better and trying to start his own production company - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/54440-how-hard-is-it-to-make-a-video-game/page__view__findpost__p__1272913__hl__make__fromsearch__1

Another successful plan by ET ™

Hey everybody, after I got fired from Subway for refusing to serve people sandwiches with meat on them, I decided to move out of my parents' room and find my own place. Now that I have lots of free time and can literally do anything in the world, I have decided to become the president of the United States of America. Any tips on how to do this? Is there an online webinar I can take that will tell me what I need to be a president? Do you think it will take like three hours or longer? Thanks in advance for your help, and vote for me in 2011!

Fuck it, you have my vote.

Hey everybody, after I got fired from Subway for refusing to serve people sandwiches with meat on them

congratulations! fuck subway and their pseudo health food poison they sell to people. your free from their hypocrisy!

Hey everybody, after I got fired from Subway for refusing to serve people sandwiches with meat on them

congratulations! fuck subway and their pseudo health food poison they sell to people. your free from their hypocrisy!

"pseudo-health food poison"?

It's fucking sandwich toppings, man.

dream of a modern scrolling shooter with arty abstract graphics and an glitchy algorithmic soundtrack that adapts to what and how your doing in the game

kinda like Rez meets Gantz Graf with an Untilted style soundtrack, yeeeah

name='Joy Rex' timestamp='1290620100' post='1463343'

"pseudo-health food poison"?

It's fucking sandwich toppings, man.

depends how deeply we want to look. i'm one who would like to know where my food comes from and all the preservatives, unsavory ingredients and

unsound methods that may have gone into the production of foods stuffs that enter my body.

yes, it does seem from the outside to just be a collection of sandwich fixings but if one follows their lineage, these

mere toppings and whatnot have some strange stories to tell.

yeah, learn some unreal-ed and make some maps, or any other map editors... you can do quite a bit of scripting and programming events in those things and they come with all the 3d assets from whichever game you choose. RTS/RPG map editors are also great for that. IMO, might be better than jumping into blender or something, then again I don't know much about blender.

Archived