IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

excellent suggestions on this page. every time I come in here I come away with like 3 new bands to investigate. I'm not complaining.

new Gojira. Not sure yet, may be a grower. Feels different than what I'm used to. Going for a wider audience I assume.

[youtubehd]FNdC_3LR2AI[/youtubehd]

Edited by olo

new Gojira. Not sure yet, may be a grower. Feels different than what I'm used to. Going for a wider audience I assume.

[youtubehd]FNdC_3LR2AI[/youtubehd]

I like the Pantera influences in here.

I like the Pantera influences in here.

haha. didn't think about it, but I see where you're coming from.

Stop-start riffs are so common it's hard to pin it down to one specific originator, though. Pantera got most of their style from Metallica and Exhorder, btw. :)

Early Gojira is a pretty decent mix of Devin Townsend, Morbid Angel, Gorguts and Meshuggah. What I like best about them is their long instrumental "planes", static but atmospheric

I really should get into Gojira, sounds like something I'd be into.

Speaking of Townsend, I've been really caning Ocean Machine since someone posted it in the bad album art thread. Is any of his other stuff as good in terms of being essentially a metal version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason? I've only ever heard a couple of SYL albums (City and Alien) and while they're great in their own way, Ocean Machine really does it for me.

I really should get into Gojira, sounds like something I'd be into.

Speaking of Townsend, I've been really caning Ocean Machine since someone posted it in the bad album art thread. Is any of his other stuff as good in terms of being essentially a metal version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason? I've only ever heard a couple of SYL albums (City and Alien) and while they're great in their own way, Ocean Machine really does it for me.

Wait... what? You won't find another album that sounds like Ocean Machine. Two albums that may sound somewhat similar I'd say are Terria (my personal favorite alongside Ocean Machine) or maybe Accelerated Evolution.

btw I should clarify that I personally think A Momentary Lapse of Reason is the best Pink Floyd album.. so it's a compliment if it wasn't obvious already.

Two albums that may sound somewhat similar I'd say are Terria (my personal favorite alongside Ocean Machine) or maybe Accelerated Evolution.

good call, these albums are awesome!

Two albums that may sound somewhat similar I'd say are Terria (my personal favorite alongside Ocean Machine) or maybe Accelerated Evolution.

good call, these albums are awesome!

I feel like the majority of his albums are either great or at the very least have moments of brilliance scattered throughout. Also, wasn't trying to sound like a dick as I love Pink Floyd as well, it was just the specific nature of the question and my inability to really draw a connection between the two albums that had me a bit confused. You're right to ask about which albums may sound similar, however, as he really runs the gamut in terms of style. He's done everything from metal, progressive, pop, country, acoustic, avant garde, bubblegum punk (pretty funny concept album), electronic (probably his weakest releases), to musicals. And apparently his next album, after another DTP release, will be straight up classical music from what I've heard.

Early Gojira is a pretty decent mix of Devin Townsend, Morbid Angel, Gorguts and Meshuggah. What I like best about them is their long instrumental "planes", static but atmospheric

Been listening to these guys a little lately as well. I definitely understand what you mean about "planes", haha. Such a great way to describe it. Not long ago I was asking if there were any bands doing that kind of stuff without the remainder of the song (ie. just static/repetitive instrumental metal) but I'm beginning to realise that it works more in contrast with non-repetitive composition. It's certainly something I'm going to explore in my new work as well.

Also, wasn't trying to sound like a dick as I love Pink Floyd as well, it was just the specific nature of the question and my inability to really draw a connection between the two albums that had me a bit confused.

Fair enough; I understand it was probably a bit of an obscure connection to make. I just feel like a few of the tracks on Ocean Machine have the same kind of dreamy quality as Momentary Lapse.. maybe?

got me this stunning album Year Of No Light - Tocsin

instrumental droney, doomy, post black metal whatever that is so beautifull and heavyyy like fuck!!

blows me out of my socks, absolute must have release

instrumental droney, doomy, post black metal whatever that is so beautifull and heavyyy like fuck!!

Nice. Haven't checked out anything since Ausserwalt. Not sure why, when it comes to instrumental rock they're damn good.

Played this one a lot last winter, it's a great album indeed.

Goes along nicely with some Inter Arma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mboxRZGSB8

^who are said to be in the studios now recording a new one...

wow, this is stunning. Need to check out YONL's discography now...