IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I've been listening to so much recent "djent" lately. I'm really loving Periphery tbh, even/especially when it gets into cheesy territory, such as the super melodic emo soaring choruses.. I just love that juxtaposition of ridiculous proggy Meshuggah riffs, jazz etc with pop choruses.. fkn love it!

also this is relevant:

http://djen.co/

• 2 weeks later...

Please let the rest of the album be in a similar vein. The vocals, Ryan's drumming, that meandering solo. Yet another side to Devin that I've never heard before.

I was just coming to post that.  I think he said they actually wrote that as a band?  Good for him actually opening up the writing process like that so far into his career and trying something different. 

ok, I'm seriously loving that Terra Tenebrosa record. I'm an audio layman, but to my ears they have such a brilliantly engineered sound, it instantly grabbed me. blackened doomy shoegaze metal (but clear) or something... I don't even know, and it doesn't matter. it's beautifully dark, the melodic guitar lines mixed in with the sludge and noise are so good, like the poignant soul of the sound against the thrashing rhythm section, and the drums are fucking great, tuned low but cutting through with clarity. their style/aesthetic is sweet too. great shiz, mayne.

Please let the rest of the album be in a similar vein. The vocals, Ryan's drumming, that meandering solo. Yet another side to Devin that I've never heard before.

I was just coming to post that.  I think he said they actually wrote that as a band?  Good for him actually opening up the writing process like that so far into his career and trying something different. 

Just saw an interview

where he basically confirmed what you said. The production of the track was actually handled by someone else as well, both things which aren't typical of a Devin release. Love how he constantly takes up a new methodology or pursues a different style with each release even at the risk of alienating his fan base. A symphony is next on the agenda apparently, as is more Casualties of Cool (fucking yes). 

ok, I'm seriously loving that Terra Tenebrosa record. I'm an audio layman, but to my ears they have such a brilliantly engineered sound, it instantly grabbed me. blackened doomy shoegaze metal (but clear) or something... I don't even know, and it doesn't matter. it's beautifully dark, the melodic guitar lines mixed in with the sludge and noise are so good, like the poignant soul of the sound against the thrashing rhythm section, and the drums are fucking great, tuned low but cutting through with clarity. their style/aesthetic is sweet too. great shiz, mayne.

dude, right? glad you dig that too. I was pretty impressed myself, was expecting samey stuff, but it's definitely quite unique. I really love how the vocal effects are all modulated and pitch shifted and the formants are all crazy sounding. It adds to the mindfuckery of it, and gives it a strange evil atmosphere. Nothing I've ever heard in metal before. 

:beer:

just watched Gummo - this track from the ending credits is so hilariously over the top, I LOVE it lol

now listening to their only album with this singer, Dictius Te Necare (aka "kill urself my man")

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

so apparently this album is rather popular/infamous and I might have just done a "welcome to ambient" but yeah, this is great. Great quiet~loud dynamics, and the vocals are ridiculous but somehow it works for me. It's a very fine line they ride. Dunno I just love this

wow that bethlehem track is the shit! i have their dark metal album wich is pretty sweet but this is something else

heard that new gojira album at a friend and think about picking that one up, sounded great! saw them live this summer and they blew me away

just watched Gummo - this track from the ending credits is so hilariously over the top, I LOVE it lol

now listening to their only album with this singer, Dictius Te Necare (aka "kill urself my man")

Rainer Landfermann is love, Rainer Landfermann is life