IGNORED

pho

Fred McGriff

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had only had pho once, and while i liked it, i can't believe how amazing it was when i tried the linked recipe and made it myself. at this point i'm considering making a pot of broth every sunday so i can have it whenever i like during the week.

pics: (they don't do it justice, it was amazing. the beef doesn't look that great in the photos--the only cut i could find that worked was brisket, and it wasn't a great piece of meat. but no matter, it was all delicious.)

my local grocer also didn't have bean sprouts, which sucked...

spicepouch.jpg

broth.jpg

bowlsofpho.jpg

condiments.jpg

phoasp.jpg

hell yeah, that soup just went on the short-list.

looks tasty, pattern, but i wouldn't use brisket for this. good job on working what you got an keeping it raw (rare) y0

yeah, i hit my grocery store at just the wrong time--the brisket was the only cut they had that came close to working. i definitely would have preferred flank or skirt, or maybe even some tenderloin.

gotta be rare (raw)!

this was really damn good.

i plan to make some next week, may take some preparation and time.

pattern recognition, what are those crispy things you had with it?

it's my version of something i had at a sushi place in minneapolis, which they call "mofu asparagus". it's just asparagus and a wasabi/cream cheese mixture wrapped in a wonton wrapper and fried. i serve them with a dipping sauce that's japanese mayo, soy suace and finely chopped cilantro. damn good.

edit: recipe

mofu asparagus w/ cilantro tosa sauce

for the asparagus:

1 bunch asparagus

1 package wonton wrappers

1 packatge cream cheese

1 tube wasabi

for the tosa(i think tosa traditionally has a lot more going on than just soy, but this works):

1 cup japanese mayonnaise (regular mayo will work if it's all you have)

3 tbsp soy sauce

1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped

for the wasabi/cream cheese mixture i mix it to taste. some people like it with just a little wasabi, i like quite a bit, but too much overwhelms everything else. i would say maybe for

1/2 package of cream cheese i would try 1-2 tbsp of wasabi. the same goes for the tosa sauce. the 1 cup mayo/2 tbsp soy sauce/1/4 cup cilantro is just kind of a guess, i just

know what tastes good to me!

directions for the asparagus:

mix cream cheese and wasabi. cut of the ends of the asparagus, then cut the stalks in half. to roll them, place a wonton wrapper down, lay maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp of the wasabi/cream

cheese mixture from corner to corner, then lay an asparagus piece on it. wet the edges of the wrapper slightly, fold it corner-to-corner, dab a bit of water along the edge, then roll

the whole thing up. fry in oil until lightly brown.

sauce:

mix japanese mayo, soy sauce and cilantro. adjust each as desired.

i plan to make some next week, may take some preparation and time.

pattern recognition, what are those crispy things you had with it?

it's my version of something i had at a sushi place in minneapolis, which they call "mofu asparagus". it's just asparagus and a wasabi/cream cheese mixture wrapped in a wonton wrapper and fried. i serve them with a dipping sauce that's japanese mayo, soy suace and finely chopped cilantro. damn good.

edit: recipe

mofu asparagus w/ cilantro tosa sauce

for the asparagus:

1 bunch asparagus

1 package wonton wrappers

1 packatge cream cheese

1 tube wasabi

for the tosa(i think tosa traditionally has a lot more going on than just soy, but this works):

1 cup japanese mayonnaise (regular mayo will work if it's all you have)

3 tbsp soy sauce

1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped

for the wasabi/cream cheese mixture i mix it to taste. some people like it with just a little wasabi, i like quite a bit, but too much overwhelms everything else. i would say maybe for

1/2 package of cream cheese i would try 1-2 tbsp of wasabi. the same goes for the tosa sauce. the 1 cup mayo/2 tbsp soy sauce/1/4 cup cilantro is just kind of a guess, i just

know what tastes good to me!

directions for the asparagus:

mix cream cheese and wasabi. cut of the ends of the asparagus, then cut the stalks in half. to roll them, place a wonton wrapper down, lay maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp of the wasabi/cream

cheese mixture from corner to corner, then lay an asparagus piece on it. wet the edges of the wrapper slightly, fold it corner-to-corner, dab a bit of water along the edge, then roll

the whole thing up. fry in oil until lightly brown.

sauce:

mix japanese mayo, soy sauce and cilantro. adjust each as desired.

thank you very much. i'm beginning to plan my attack a day a head. this looks like it will be time consuming.

• 3 weeks later...

didn't you have a bigass beard before? I fear to picture the aftermath

Haha yeah, but luckily that was before I jumped on the pho bandwagon. I did go out for pho at least once during my viking beard phase, shortly after (and because) this thread was made. Sadly there are no pics to immortalize the event.

• 3 months later...

I've been hammering pho lately. It really floored me on wednesday though; I had amazing laksa for lunch, and then decided to get pho for dinner. I almost couldn't move afterwards! It was so awesome though. Got beef satay skewers as well for breakfast the next day, fuck yeah!

I did Pho City twice this week... because of my cold.

My jam there is the Charbroiled BBQ pork pho w/ hoisin, sriracha, jalepenos, pepper sauce and the basil and bean sprouts.

It's so good. I have no need to try anything else.

Guest couch

damn watmm damn yall gots a pho thread oh snap!

A friend of mine got me into eating it, she has shown me the light because this shit is good. I like normal beef pho. The restaurant we go to has about 8 different kinds of it, lots of them seafood varieties.

I'm not digging it as much in the nasty summer. But when it starts to get cold I'll be eating pho more often.

I had some yesterday for lunch. The chicken one... I haven't ventured into beef territory yet.

The chicken + lemon coconut milk one?

That's a Thai dish... Tom Kai Gai... one of my favourites. The lemongrass in it makes it super delicious and pairs well with the coconut milk.

I had some yesterday for lunch. The chicken one... I haven't ventured into beef territory yet.

The thinly sliced beef Pho is best... I'd stay away from the meatball Pho and the others that use less-desirable parts of the cow...

The chicken + lemon coconut milk one?

It was Pho Ga

Pho Ga is pretty good, especially with the little side dish of garlic dipping sauce that a few places provide to accompany the Ga variety

Pho Cafe on Sunset in Echo Park/Silverlake does it really well. Also, try the Lemongrass Steak and Eggroll Bun on warmer days.

4241726261_8f03058468.jpg

Not my pic; looks way better in person, and I don't usually do the shrimp. But this stuff satisfies on a hot day the same way pho satisfies on a cold one. Those egg rolls are like crack. Better than crack. Fuck they're good.

This place is my go-to. It's amazing. The clientele is a little hipster, due to location, but whatever, those hipsters are choosing their Vietnamese food correctly. Cash only, no sign out front, pure flavorsex inside, quickly served.

Jefferoo, go there sometime. I think you'll like it.

Went there again last night, had to fap about it in this thread today.

Archived