IGNORED

DOOM and Tom Yorke

beerwolf

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know this may seem elitist or whatever but i wish more big electronic acts would shun Radiohead/tom yorke kind of like the 'who cares' response of the Autechre boys. I admire it when artists like aphex twin for example turns down to work with Madonna.

FINISH MADVILLIAN 2 FIRST FOR SURE! I still dig most of his stuff, I am starting to get a Madonna vibe from Thom- especially trying to work with the younger LA artists to stay relevant.

I guess if some interesting music comes out of it, whatever... I would probably do the same thing if I was in his shoes. :shrug:

http://vimeo.com/21102864

I'm not faulting him at all, at least he's trying to bring something 'new' to the world of his built in audience, i'm more saying i wish some of these bigger artists like Burial and the like would just say 'no thank you'

I think Mr Yorke does what he damn well likes, for his own personnal satisfaction. If you want to join him or listen to the fruits of his work then feel free too. I don't think he cares as he will always have an audience.

I know a lot of friends who haven't listened to Radiohead since OK Computer when they ditched the guitars. I doubt Thom is really bothered about that. I respect him for pushing his boundries. Fuck me, his band was lumped in with Brit Pop FFS. Good on him.

I dont understand the negativity towards this... I personally like DOOM. I think with his ability to rap over obscure beats and rhythms combined with Thom's creativity this could be an interesting and pleasant collaboration

I'm not faulting him at all, at least he's trying to bring something 'new' to the world of his built in audience, i'm more saying i wish some of these bigger artists like Burial and the like would just say 'no thank you'

why though? i think both reasons to agree to a collaboration are legitimate. liking the music of your collaborator and/or the opportunity to get your music out to a bigger audience / make some good money. isn't the latter pretty much what everyone strives to do?

why though?

because it's not only pleasurable but empowering feeling when a musician like Aphex brags about refusing money from Madonna. I would hope some day somebody does the same thing to Yorke only for my own pleasure. IF you need a more in depth answer let me know

This is great. If Thom spends sufficient time hangin with this DOOM dawg He might learn some smart shit. Like saying shit after each sentence'n'shit Yo.

'n shit, nah mean?

Both artists here are of really high stature, so it's not like Thom is leeching off DOOM or vice versa. I was wondering who DOOM would collaborate with next. They both do some really cool shit. Imagine DOOM rapping over Feral or an instrumental version of Bloom.

or Anyone Can Play Guitar :crazy: .

FINISH MADVILLIAN 2 FIRST FOR SURE!

yeah srsly wtf high time already!

I dont understand the negativity towards this... I personally like DOOM. I think with his ability to rap over obscure beats and rhythms combined with Thom's creativity this could be an interesting and pleasant collaboration

I've got nothing but love for metal face / metal fingers!

yea I see nothing wrong with this. yorke is just trying to push his own boundaries. I'm not sure why you would say no to him when he brings a lot to the table. it's a win-win for both collaborators. it's not like ae would learn anything from Madonna. at least that's the difference in my view.

I just hope thom gets a metal face with a slightly smaller left eye and shit.

Guest Hanratty

I thought I had heard somewhere that Doom has health problems which caused him to not do as much music. Anyone else hear this?

Like the Burial and four tet shit was good and I think it went well.

I just cant really imagine this sounding well. I love the both of them but I just wouldn't put them together at all.

We shall see though, I am interested.

THOOM

The first single will be called something like "Space Race Relations" and Flylo will probably remix it. Kanye will then sample it and pitchfork will blog about it first.

Thom is pretty picky with collaborations really, he only works with artists he really likes - he's not being requested (like Richard D. James), it's the other way around.

So let's see:

Burial has worked with Four Tet, and remixed Thom Yorke

Four Tet has worked with Burial, Thom, remixed Thom Yorke

MF Doom has been remixed by Thom and Four Tet

Bonus:

Flying Lotus has remixed and worked with Thom, worked with Burial

Modeselektor has worked with and remixed Thom, played Burial and Flying Lotus in their commercially released DJ mix

^anyone down for making a chart?

Archived