IGNORED

Zomby - Natalia's song

The problem with this kind of "sampling" is that there's not much finesse involved. See: Puff Daddy.

Most good hip hop producers have a sense of pride about sampling and talk about how someone "flipped" a sample, implying that there's a certain amount of effort in effectively listening closely to a piece of music, selecting a section of it, slicing up that section, and arranging those slices in such a way that they work well with other elements of a track. There's no pride and no new flavor with this kind of boneheaded shit.

But the real problem with the Zomby track isn't that he sampled it—he turned a collaboration into a solo production, taking all of the credit and profit.

edit: well, claimed it was a solo production, it was still a collaboration though. you know what i mean.

But.. but, Zomby's 92 album is about 100 times better than Glowstyx' one.

Unfortunately, I have to agree there.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this kind of "sampling" is that there's not much finesse involved. See: Puff Daddy.

Most good hip hop producers have a sense of pride about sampling and talk about how someone "flipped" a sample, implying that there's a certain amount of effort in effectively listening closely to a piece of music, selecting a section of it, slicing up that section, and arranging those slices in such a way that they work well with other elements of a track. There's no pride and no new flavor with this kind of boneheaded shit.

This. If u haven't already i defiantly recommend watching the PBS documentary Copyright Criminals.

But the real problem with the Zomby track isn't that he sampled it—he turned a collaboration into a solo production, taking all of the credit and profit.

edit: well, claimed it was a solo production, it was still a collaboration though. you know what i mean.

True. I was starting to conflate the OP with the Micron video from the last page, which was more interesting to me, mostly because the original video is part of what led me to buy a Micron. Which I sold later.

Puff Daddy also spends money to make money. Sampling isn't a problem when it's cleared. If it's really effects heavy, especially pitch-shifted, instead of just "flipped" it's also pretty much a-ok. For example, there's a very probable Daft Punk sample that wasn't credited and never legally challenged:

Then again, I recognize samples on Madlib's albums pretty often (Quasimoto especially), but I guess he just doesn't get targeted.

I'm also amazed that in the 70s Rod Stewart and George Harrison were successfully sued for unintended interpolation of other songs. Hell, John Fogerty was sued for "stealing" the melody of one of his own past songs! Now major labels often foot the bill for singles by Top40 artists that lazily interpolate and sample all sorts of songs. The reason, as KY pointed out, this is unfair is that it isn't the publisher looking for money, it's the original artist himself. Also, this is still a sample flip from a Russian pop song! All sorts of level with this case.

This. If u haven't already i defiantly recommend watching the PBS documentary Copyright Criminals.

So much better than A Remix Manifesto which was ok, but way more bias

ok maybe a few things. rainy day sample layed over it. maybe brightened it up a bit? i don't know. i don't care at all in the sense that I am not a huge fan in the first place, i just find it completely mental that people are standing up to defend the guy so vehemently. fan boy-ness taken to the extreme. I mean, this is some border line milli vanilli shit.

It's going on a lot with some musicians. Not limited to just music.

Recently, Beyonce got sued because in her clip "Countdown", the dancemoves performed there were taken directly from dance performances by Belgian choreographer Anna Teresa De Keersmaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDT0m514TMw

Beyonce tried to defend herself by saying that "it was a hommage", eventho all the moves were copied directly and no permission was asked whatsoever. Which is too much to ask for if you have millions of dollars.

Watmm should make some sort of compilation album made from "samples" taken from tracks by notorious music thieves. For the sake of trolling.

(named: We Are The Music Moochers)

But.. but, Zomby's 92 album is about 100 times better than Glowstyx' one. Glowstyx sounds like a horrible inauthentic twee parody of the times where Zomby's sounds like he was there, i.e. that he understands rave. It just so happens that Zomby ripped off most of the rave tracks on his album too, but it's still better. Objectively.

opinions, everybody has them. I couldn't disagree more strongly with this. I don't believe Zomby was there at all personally, isn't he too young anyways to have even been part of that scene?

im honestly shocked when people say things like 'he understands rave' in what sense exactly? that he made stripped down music so therefore it is 'more authentic' please post some specific examples of this. I asked Ludd last year and he came up with zilch and made the same claim, that glowstyx was shit and Zomby was 'authentic'

edit: i also have to ask, for the people claiming how deeply inauthentic the Glowstyx album is... where were you in '92? Were you partying at underground parties that played hardcore music? Were you listening to mixtapes? Are you from the UK? What frame of reference are you coming from.

Uhh... What is the hype about this song? Besides the story of the steal, this song is completely forgetable... If someone posted Natalia's Song in YLC I would not post a comment, I would be like ah that was alright and move thinking surely posted a more interesting demo song here in the last few days...

This.

BIG DRAMA for one collab that was pretty meh

:cerious:

how much money do you think he made for this 'meh' collab? the guy is a cocksucker to the money fountain like a lot of those 'famous' hype djs pieces of shit

But.. but, Zomby's 92 album is about 100 times better than Glowstyx' one. Glowstyx sounds like a horrible inauthentic twee parody of the times where Zomby's sounds like he was there, i.e. that he understands rave. It just so happens that Zomby ripped off most of the rave tracks on his album too, but it's still better. Objectively.

opinions, everybody has them. I couldn't disagree more strongly with this. I don't believe Zomby was there at all personally, isn't he too young anyways to have even been part of that scene?

im honestly shocked when people say things like 'he understands rave' in what sense exactly? that he made stripped down music so therefore it is 'more authentic' please post some specific examples of this. I asked Ludd last year and he came up with zilch and made the same claim, that glowstyx was shit and Zomby was 'authentic'

edit: i also have to ask, for the people claiming how deeply inauthentic the Glowstyx album is... where were you in '92? Were you partying at underground parties that played hardcore music? Were you listening to mixtapes? Are you from the UK? What frame of reference are you coming from.

man you're going to set the place on fire with that

MKU9u.gifBURRRRRRRRNMKU9u.gif

I did prefer the Zomby album, but the Glowstyx one is definitely more legit—I think I just prefer re-imagined early 90s stuff than the real thing. Except for Shy FX.

I am 40, I was there going to raves, I was buying white labels, listening to Don FM in South London.

Of course Zomby wasn't there, he is too young, and I said 'sounds like he was there' but he does do is channel the 'spirit' of rave -- the white label / ruff / pirate sound, which evolved into jungle, not the media-friendly pop, XL recordings/Prodigy/trip to trumpton sound of Glowstyx -- both are valid I guess, and I did like the Prodigy at the time, their first 3 singles, I saw them do a live PA at Ilford island in 91 wearing harlequin suits. The thing about Glowstyx is it sounds too shiny - there is no ruffness - therefore no spirit, its a version of TOTP-friendly rave for Bangface with all the soul and danger (bass?) taken out. It's like he has tried to do Shades of Rhythm, Prodigy and 808 State or something. The melodies are all happy - there is no unsettlingness, no drug-feeling, no ecstasy in Jason's music. Now I know Jason/Bong-Ra and he is a lovely guy. I also know Justin/Zomby. Where Were You in '92 is much more evocative of the spirit of the times, I feel right back there in the crowd. Look, just check out this Zomby track:

http://smokelessfuels.blogspot.com/2009/06/zomby-pandoras-box.html

Or this one:

And compare it with the vibe on Glowstyx - it is pure top of the pops - not the underground sound of the time.

Now obviously this is just an opinion, but if you like Glowstyx fair enough but, eugh.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Zomby's gonna run out of people to lift from soon. Hopefully the whole thing ends in him stabbing himself for sampling his own music.

as someone who knows zomby, you don't think he's being a bit of a cunt here?

Mental illness is no joke.

I made no joke. Ahh, so he's a compulsive liar and a cunt? Mental illness can maybe be attributed to the compulsive liar part, but not to the cunt part.

Guest Backson

as someone who knows zomby, you don't think he's being a bit of a cunt here?

Mental illness is no joke.

yeah, what do you mean by this? that seems extremely vague and at the same time attempting to unload a crap load of guilt on us.

Sounds like something Larry David could use.

Exactly. It's not a good reason. It still is a reason, but well...

Anyway interesting debate about Zomby vs. Glowstyx. I listened to Glowstyx for the first time yesterday - I'm very happy to have found the album (if you have more LPs like them - please tell me!). I don't think one or another is better than the other one - both LPs want to archieve different things. Bambi pointed that out and I only can underline it. Glowstyx is about a more friendly, pop-y Rave, the Zomby LP is much more like a mixtape full of edits und rough stuff. Though to keep it fair, it´s the only Zomby album I really like - the rest is totally uninspired, demo-tapes full of VST presets at best. And the tracks on it are very short, which makes it more like a mixtape and less like a real LP (like Glowstyx is a real LP).

So maybe the idea of revisiting old vibes was stolen, but the concepts of the two LPs are very different in my opinion. Also people like Machinedrum or Philipp K Dick are doing Juke / Footwork edits of old jungle and rave hits, and they sure didn't steal this idea from Glowstyx or anybody else I guess.

And: I was born 88, so I missed rave completley. Which makes me very sad, now that I realize what was going on during this time, and it keeps me thinking "where were you in 92?" hrhr.

Bollocks, it's not a reason at all. No mental illness causes someone to intentionally miscredit a piece of music as their own when at best it's a collaboration, at worst it's a completely stolen track.

Bollocks, it's not a reason at all. No mental illness causes someone to intentionally miscredit a piece of music as their own when at best it's a collaboration, at worst it's a completely stolen track.

I meant it like that: Being a cunt can also be called having a narcissistic disorder :emotawesomepm9:

Archived