IGNORED

google+

kokoon

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i still can't sign up, even with 3 invites :/

When people sent you the invites, did you receive them into your inbox ? Cause i can't even see my invites.

i still can't sign up, even with 3 invites :/

When people sent you the invites, did you receive them into your inbox ? Cause i can't even see my invites.

yeah, they came late, but I did end up getting them. Google+ absolutey does not want us delet.

Guest Gary C

Poor Google. They'd only just got back to their feet and it seems like Facebook-Skype just gave them a pretty big jab to the ribs.

Poor Google. They'd only just got back to their feet and it seems like Facebook-Skype just gave them a pretty big jab to the ribs.

really?

Guest Gary C

Skype in Facebook doesn't excite me, but it's clearly a one-up on Google+'s videochat thing. Skype users + Facebook = market consolidated.

Facebook are also bringing in the ability to 'like' and share music pretty soon. Game over.

it would have been game over if they let apple do it the way they planned.

i've had the ability to like and share music for years

isn't that the point of this forum?

*high five*

one-up on Google+'s videochat thing

A one-up? Google Talk is the superior service with more features (conference talks for example) and much better interopability so it can be implemented by anyone. Although Facebook chat can be used over XMPP, I doubt the Skype protocol will be opened up. Especially now Microsoft is in control. They've been botching up Live Messenger for over 10 years.

it doesn't matter which is the superior service, what matters is which one is the most used. Almost everyone knows about skype but few people have ever heard of google talk or voice. facebook + skype is a big deal.

it doesn't matter which is the superior service, what matters is which one is the most used.

Why? A service doesn't need to be the most popular to be of use or to have importance. In fact, I think fragmentation in the IM/VOIP/video-conference field is a good thing. More people using different services means there would be a need for open standards and interoptability between those different services. I cannot see Microsoft do this. Google already has (http://code.google.com/apis/talk/open_communications.html#service).

Guest Mirezzi

The difference between MySpace and Facebook was enormous. The former, especially in the beginning, was an absolute shithole of flashing banner ads and it consisted mostly of 14 year-old girls fawning over themselves and pop stars. The latter, especially in the beginning, had a clean interface, minimal and subtly placed ads, and it consisted of those same 14 year-old girls AND soccer moms. I don't say that because I hate Facebook. Rather, it's a compliment. Its popularity has a lot to do with the simplicity of its use and the UI. Of course, they're fucking that up now, which brings us to Google+.

I don't see + as a Facebook killer, not anytime soon. The difference between Facebook-->Google+ is not nearly as evolutionary as Myspace-->Facebook. The "one big thing" so far is these Circles, which are errmmm okay I guess, but 750,000,000 people won't stop using Facebook over it. What else? Great video technology? Facebook (Skype) and Google are going to tug-of-war over video conferencing technology? Isn't the entire reason people use social networking sites to actually avoid talking face to face?

As for the two companies...well, both of them hate your privacy and the Terms of Service for Google+ are every bit as hilariously scary as Facebook's.

“By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.”

“You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.”

“You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.”

All of this is to say, Google+ has some distinct advantages. YouTube/music/video. You can log in the moment you log into e-mail since half the planet seems to have a GMail account now. THAT is their biggest advantage IMO. Will it mean people stop logging into Facebook? We'll see. I predict it will either take a long time for that to happen or it won't happen at all. I think it's MORE likely that Facebook Connect will be integrated into Google+ through some sort of merger/handshake. Claiming that their servers were being throttled, Facebook has already disabled a popular Chrome extension that allowed you to export your Facebook contacts into Google+.

remember ICQ?

must be 7 or 8 years ago and i still remember my freaking number!

FUCK YEAH, same here. Except, in my case, it's 11 years ago...hmmm, December 1997? I remember using ICQ to communicate with my Quake II / Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight friends. :shuriken:

people definitely will leave Facebook at one time or another and I think it's going to happen soon. it has had a long run and it seems to have reached critical mass. I think whoever streamlines google+ will be the next big thing. a lot of people want to start over I think.

Hooray, i finally got my invites from chen and kaini. But i'm too tired now muster the mental strength to login and hope they work. Something to look forward to trying another day. hah, irony.

Archived