IGNORED

google+

kokoon

What do you think? Have you checked it out?

I think it could be a begining of a great new era. A time where all people are equal... equal with ads, cat videos and actual information. Interesting times.

By the way, if anybody has an invite (to trade maybe?), pm me plz.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sprigg

I'm vaguely interested, but I still really have no idea what it is. Is it Google's attempt to compete with Facebook?

I poopood the idea yesterday as thought there's no way they'd try tackling Facebook and they'd do another Google Buzz (or was it Wave, something that bombed anyway). But thinking about it today, they might be on to something actually - It'll be interesting to see how the whole thing develops - Could work, could bomb.

A bit more info for those not in the know - http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/googles-social-network-google-plus-takes-aim-at-facebook-but-will-it-work/2011/06/29/AGNARArH_story.html

googleplus.png

Guest futuregirlfriend

Also interested in an invite. Worth putting your name down to 'keep posted' if you haven't already.

Hopefully it all integrates nicely with gmail. Google has too much stuff with potential, that I'd like to use, but seems unfinished and hidden away (buzz, bookmarks). I stopped using delicious when I moved to Chrome as there wasn't a decent plugin, hoped Google Bookmarks would fill the gap. Nope. No out-of-the-box Chrome integration or official extension. Picasa web shit is balls compared to flickr (which I'd like to chuck. FU yahoo) as well. YouTube I'd maybe use seriously if there was some integration with Circles, or perhaps they've got something else for more personal vid content. Integration with the picasa program and eventual destruction of picasa web would be good. I'm just rambling, but what interests me the most about this is how I could use it to share stuff with a few groups of friends and less computer savvy family members.

with chrome you can sync all your bookmarks to a google account. what else do you need?

but yeah google has a lot of failed ideas, but they're constantly thinking of new stuff.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Tags, sharing, finding new things through other people and their network. In uni I'd find delicious more useful than Google for research.

Google is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The things that people appreciate the most about it, are usually the same things their customers hate about other companies.

75% of the people in my group at work are obsessed google fanboys who buy 3 andriods a year and make fun of people who don't use google mail.

Personally I'm not excited about another Facebook. I wish google would come up with a single original idea that they didn't steal blatently from someone else. If google wrote an album, it would all be samples ripped directly off the best music of our time.

Google is Girl Talk.

Guest Gary C

The xkcd strip says it almost for me. Someone PM me an invite if anyone's got one.

I was in on Buzz, but bleurgh. Here's hoping they've learnt their lesson.

Kind of agree with acid1. In addition to that, I'm also pretty paranoid about having every aspect of my life controlled by google. I'm paranoid by facebook to begin with, so switching from facebook to internet giant google isn't much of a step up.

Also, ya'll should give this article a read/skim: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/google-plus-invite/

I agree with the article. I think a big reason facebook got so big was the way they presented it to the people. Invite ideas are idiotic. If I were to get an invite, none of my friends would be on the site, so why would I want to use it?

Facebook presented itself to Harvard, then more Ivy League schools, then colleges, then everyone. that's the way to do it. Take a small audience, and slowly add more to it.

Edit: What the fuck happened with Diaspora, it was supposed to totally squash facebook, and I don't think it's even past the indev stage. I signed up aaaaaaaages ago and I never got in. Pathetic.

Google is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The things that people appreciate the most about it, are usually the same things their customers hate about other companies.

75% of the people in my group at work are obsessed google fanboys who buy 3 andriods a year and make fun of people who don't use google mail.

google took a lot of stuff from other open-source projects, made it better, and released it as a completely free OS called android (granted, there are a few binary blobs/licensed things in there). problem? i'm not saying they're the saints some people would make them out to be, but at least they're not microsoft.

seems ok i guess. i don't see people dropping facebook for this though. and 'im in the fuck facebook camp. though, i guess if this caught on, i'd be in the fuck google+ camp.

now if you'll excuse me, there are some kids on my lawn i need to go chase off with a cane.

google took a lot of stuff from other open-source projects, made it better, and released it as a completely free OS called android (granted, there are a few binary blobs/licensed things in there). problem? i'm not saying they're the saints some people would make them out to be, but at least they're not microsoft.

and also, not using gmail is stupid.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M NOT IN YOUR 'Besties' CIRCLE! YOU BITCH *fight occurs*"

You know this shit will happen.

Oh no, it's myspace all over again. Except I'm older now. I don't think it makes a difference though.

Edit: Watched that video, looks like an awesome Google Wave. Honestly, I would've used Google Wave if everybody else did. Shouldn't've done that invite bullshit.

I am far from enthusiastic about Google+, as I don't really care for social networking crap, but I got an account, so I can send invites if anyone wants. (PM)

Archived