IGNORED

how many of you would be asked, or have been asked

just came back from the worst wedding experience of my life. they weren't close friends of mine, but i've known them for upwards of 15 years, and am good friends with a small bit of their friends. i was asked to take everyone's pictures, not to be in any. i had an assigned seating with complete strangers where i ate my dinner in silence. i talked awkwardly with people i haven't seen in 10 years.

all that aside, this made me wonder if i had any close friends that would ever ask me to be a best man. i don't think i do. really got me pretty sad, honestly. made me wonder how many other people feel the same way.

anyway, not looking for sympathy here. i'm still a little drunk. i'm just posting some shit and i don't have any charm left in which to end this.

edit: spelling, fuck. *throws beer bottle*

*accidentally hits watmm*

*thread sinks to bottom*

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've done the whole cameraman for a friend's wedding thing before. all the guests were members of their new church (i'm an atheist, and didn't really know any of them). so, i feel your pain ;)

which is fine if you are asked to be a legit photographer...

well, thanks. i knew i said i wasn't looking for sympathy, but i already feel better knowing that someone as cool as chaos has been through that. (no sarcasm, i really do talk about people with such cheesy directness)

I've been to weddings like that.

But i could think of one person who would ask me to be best man and he'd be the dude i'd ask to be mine.

i hate weddings though.

I've been to weddings like that.

But i could think of one person who would ask me to be best man and he'd be the dude i'd ask to be mine.

i hate weddings though.

that's really fucking special. seriously. i've had good friends throughout life, but i have never had a best friend. partially because i've been moving around every 3 months for the past 13 years of my life, i guess.

i've been to cool weddings. someone i'd consider to be a best friend had a really awesome halloween wedding, the best one i've been to, had a blast. everyone dressed up and got trashed.

Guest spike

i've been the best 3 (three!) times, twice it was pretty nice, once it was a drag. To even it out, I asked two of my buds to be my best(s) for mine! Ha,, but you know my wed is gonna be the jammm, so i don't feel like i am draggin them around. i stopped going to wedding years ago, basically once i was able to stay home alone because they usually are really boring and full of people that are in some weird disdainful mood, frowning and everything like that, so i didn't invite any people that are drags to mine and made a point of making a point of it to my beloved,,, should be a celebration not some weird ass, 'look how special we are' type of jazz, i am just excited to see a lot of my buds and tight fam and have a nice day of it. i don't go to weddings unless its brothers/sisters, best buds--- cousins and fakers can send me an email with pics,, there is no way i'm gonna fake happiness and do the hammer dance for anyone.

I think I'd be runner up best man for a couple people, but there's always at least one man slightly better. I don't think I'd ever want the pressure of being the best man. That's a lot to live up to.

Guest spike

shit, make that four times being the "best" , next time better be a party or some ambient beach scene involved.

Guest futuregirlfriend

I can't see him getting married any time soon, which is good, but perhaps one person. I don't like my friends all that much so I hope no one ever asks.

a while ago, my wife was asked to be a brides maid. I went to that dinner with her where they talk about shit (I zoned out most of the dinner). at one point a piano man at the restaurant was playing leyla by eric clapton they he broke into the second part of the song where it changes and everybody was like "what song is this it sounds familiar?" and the only time I spoke I was like "that's eric clapton!" and other people at the dinner party was like "No it isn't! that song before was leyla!" I was like "This is still Leyla!" and none of them knew and they thought I was wrong. someone asked the piano man and he said "That dude over there is right! It's still Leyla!" I looked at my wife and told her, "They should know this... They're white people!" and someone heard me say that and gave me a dirty look.

the wedding needless to say I was super bored. I didn't know any of her friend's people and since my wife was party of the wedding party, I spent most of it alone. and to make things worse, the wedding and reception was on a yacht. I just spent most of it staring wistfully into the sea until my wife was done with all the photos and speeches and shit and we ate the dinner and I continued to stare wistfully at the sea.

Some of the stories said so far I can definitely relate to.

It's inevitable that I will be asked to be best man for my brother's wedding - he's already talked about getting married to his long term girlfriend within the next few years. Not really looking forward to the event itself, especially the 'best man speech'.

I think I've only been to one wedding and that was my uncle's. I've been to more funerals than weddings. Been invited to one, but couldn't go. None of my mates have had weddings and I am not sure if I would be invited to one, let alone be a best man. Maybe it's because none of my mates believe in marriage.

Never been a best man, don't like weddings, hope I don't ever get asked to be a best man so I don't have to say no.

I've been a groomsman at four weddings, never a best man though. My last friend to get married asked me to be both a groomsman AND dj, which actually ended up being pretty fun.

If anyone in this thread needs any cheering up, here are some anecdotes from my wedding:

- My in-laws wanted to make one of those photo collages of the wife & I - baby pictures, kid pictures, couple pictures, etc. So my parents gave me a stack of photos from when I was younger and the wife and I went through them and separated the good from the bad/awkward/ugly. The only problem was that my wife gave her parents both stacks of photos, and of course (but unintentionally) all the photos they used were from the 'no' pile. :facepalm:

- Maid of honor speech: no mention of the groom

- Father of the bride speech: no mention of the groom

- Impromptu end-of-night inebriated mother of bride speech: no mention of the groom

:cry:

I know it's the bride's day 'n all and they obviously got wrapped up in their daughter getting married but come the fuck on. It's not as if like they don't like me either, we've always gotten on well and I'm actually the one son/daughter in-law they've never had beef with.

Never been a best man, don't like weddings, hope I don't ever get asked to be a best man so I don't have to say no.

miserable...i'd be honoured

interesting, i'm seeing that a lot of people wouldn't even want to have to own up to the responsibility if they were asked in the first place. i suppose it is a heavily involved role. i guess if i think about it, i wouldn't want to be asked to be a best man either if it were an uptight, overly traditional wedding, but i can't see any of my friends going that route.

Guest Franklin

I've been to two weddings...

At my wife's sister's wedding (7 years ago) I was just a normal guest that didn't know anybody as I had only been dating my now wife for about 6 months or something. During the speech part my wife and the bride's father (who happened to be very inebriated) did a round-table of all the guests saying a thing or two about them. I was the last person and when he got to me he paused. cleared his throat and said "and then there's you, my biggest fucking nightmare," then he dropped the mic and sat down. nobody laughed or clapped or anything. I just sat there thinking holy fuck this is awkward.

At my own wedding my best man's speech was the same story he tells every single new girlfriend he has the first time I meet them (he goes through girls like one goes through toilet paper). the story is about me refusing to "jam" with the other first year university kids in our dorm even though everybody else was and I wasn't doing anything. It's not a good story, it's not funny, it's not really appropriate for a wedding, and it really conveyed to me that he didn't spend any time at all thinking about an actual speech.

Anyway, on topic, even though this guy was my best man I don't think I'll actually be his best man as he has other friends that he's closer with these days.

i never even went to a wedder

Same, I was a ring-bearer at a Lesbian wedding when I was 6. But we just held that at our house. Plus, gay marriage wasn't/isn't legal in my state.

There was one wedding I went to over 10 years ago that was probably the best one I've been to. My wife was incharge of the floral arrangements and decorations of the reception (something she probably should've stuck with since she made bank that weekend. She thought it was too stressful for her to persue as a profession). I was helping her out setting up the tables and the arrangements and such. I went out to the car to get something that I'd forgot and the best man (who is now a really good friend of mine) stops me and asks me to leave... I told him I was setting up the arrangements and he didn't believe me. He then grabbed my arm and one of the groomsmen walked in at that point and was all "YO WILL WHATTUP MAN!" and I was like "I'm cool but this dude here is tryin' to kick me out!" Things were cleared up and he was embarrassed and I brought it up a once or twice during the reception.

It turned out that the bestman thought I was a homeless dude trying to crash the reception for food or something... LOL... at the time I was fully bearded with a beanie and had a hooded jacket. I showed up a few hours later to the reception wearing a nice armani suit and I still didn't shave. We joke about it still every now and then.

I've been to two weddings...

At my wife's sister's wedding (7 years ago) I was just a normal guest that didn't know anybody as I had only been dating my now wife for about 6 months or something. During the speech part my wife and the bride's father (who happened to be very inebriated) did a round-table of all the guests saying a thing or two about them. I was the last person and when he got to me he paused. cleared his throat and said "and then there's you, my biggest fucking nightmare," then he dropped the mic and sat down. nobody laughed or clapped or anything. I just sat there thinking holy fuck this is awkward.

holy fucking lol batman.. that would be tough to take in such a public setting where you don't know ANYONE

I have been a best man.

i will never do it again.

Same as.

What's odd is I have a mate who thinks it's one of the greatest things a man can do. He actually gets upset at the prospect of never been asked to be a best man. But he loves massaging his ego in public, and is one of those people who has a Top Twenty Things A Man Must Do In His Lifetime. And must tick all the boxes regardless of what these things actually are.

I have actually seen him close to tears over the subject lol.

I fucking hated it, and hated it even more that it spoiled what would of been a really good day on the beer. I have never taken valuim before but took a load on that day :biggrin:

When I was little I used to turn pages for my mom when she played organ at weddings and funerals.

I far prefer funerals to weddings. People behave themselves at funerals, god dammit.

Archived