IGNORED

how many of you would be asked, or have been asked

i can think of 2 that i would probably be best man at but one of them probably won't ever be married. i have been a groomsman in several weddings though. for mine, i had three best men because we have been buds since 3rd grade or so but i had my true best bud give the speech, and it was epic. that's what i would be afraid about, the speech. im not a good public speaker at all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! a friend asked me back in 04ish to be a best man... but I declined. during the reception when the best man gives a speech, my friend looked at me as if to say "dude, why the fuck did you say no!" The best man's speech was mostly about himself rather than the bride and groom. you see people in the crowd basically motioning him to wrap it up. He also insulted everyone by toasting with fruit punch instead of champagne.

lol, asymm.

all of these stories are fantastic, everyone.

god, wedding can be ridiculous.

which also begs the question, what kind of wedding would you want, or have you had?

i'd probably just go along with whatever my fiance wanted, but i'd try to keep it small. best friends and family only. try to keep it outside on a nice day. short n' sweet. the reception at the same spot as the wedding, no intense formalities or traditions. laid back, but classy.

edit: basically, leaving as little room for awkward situations as possible. this wedding i went to yesterday was so fucking awkward and intense. i couldn't stand it.

I've been to two weddings...

At my wife's sister's wedding (7 years ago) I was just a normal guest that didn't know anybody as I had only been dating my now wife for about 6 months or something. During the speech part my wife and the bride's father (who happened to be very inebriated) did a round-table of all the guests saying a thing or two about them. I was the last person and when he got to me he paused. cleared his throat and said "and then there's you, my biggest fucking nightmare," then he dropped the mic and sat down. nobody laughed or clapped or anything. I just sat there thinking holy fuck this is awkward.

Gosh, do you get on better these days.

is one of those people who has a Top Twenty Things A Man Must Do In His Lifetime. And must tick all the boxes regardless of what these things actually are.:biggrin:

So what are the top twenty things that a man must do in his lifetime ??

I can guess a couple that would be on the average joe's list. 1. get married 2. have kids; other than that i'm stumped. Perhaps one would involve some sort of sports ? Hole in one at golf or something.

Guest Enter a new display name

I have never attended a marriage because it's not really part of the culture here (except for immigrants and catholic farmers). For some reason, my parents are gonna get married next year in an atheist context and I think this is gonna be boring and pointless.

Never been a best man, don't like weddings, hope I don't ever get asked to be a best man so I don't have to say no.

miserable...i'd be honoured

Nah not miserable, I just don't enjoy weddings at all. Been to loads of them and it's the same every time.

which also begs the question, what kind of wedding would you want, or have you had?

I don't know what I want. From what I've heard, weddings are all awkward and boring. If I followed in this wedding tradition, I'd imagine my wedding (with my current girlfriend) would be super awkward. Our families are nothing alike.

I've often thought about having two small weddings. One for family and all of that crap, and one for our friends and ourselves.

I am interested in how everyone else answers this question. Viking Rave sounds good to me.

When I got married, it was a pretty tough call between an childhood friend of mine of about 20 years and a friend of about 11 years.

It was a really hard call because I consider both of them to be best friends.

I picked the 11 year one because he basically was responsible for me meeting my wife and he was better about keeping in touch.

Also, he seemed REALLY super excited that we were getting married.

I guess I'm just one of those guys that has like 5 best friends. I ended up having a ton of groomsmen (including one girl who was also a consideration for "best man").

I didn't pick my brother because he didn't pick me for his wedding (I was a groomsman though and I didn't ask him to be one for me because he had 2 kids that were my ring bearer and flower girl. I think it worked out).

I've never been asked to be a best man though. I don't actually ever see that happening. :trashbear:

I've already told my friends that if if any of them ever ask me to be their best man I will punch them in the dick. I can't deal with talking in front of loads of people. That said, I'm pretty sure a friend of mine is going to ask soon anyway. Say a prayer for his dick. I've been to a couple of weddings, but I hope I don't have to attend many more in my life. Next time I do attend one I'm getting fucking drunk as shit.

Totally gonna be the best man for my new roomie. We've known each other since we were kids. :happy:

No idea what I'm going to say, but it's not until next fall and I'm going to be living with them starting Friday, so I'm sure I'll have some experiences to draw from to make some kind of speech in the future.

I have never attended a marriage because it's not really part of the culture here (except for immigrants and catholic farmers).

Marriage? Or just attending marriages?

I think I've only been to one wedding and that was my uncle's. I've been to more funerals than weddings.

Me too. In fact, I think I've been to about 7 funerals in the past decade, and only two weddings. The first being my mom's, and the second was a couple friends from high school. I actually wed them. I have a license to marry people, so they had me do it. It's weird to think that my name is on their wedding certificate.

They're furries, too. The reception was pretty interesting, since it was a costume wedding. They also just had twin daughters last week.

I'm all about the "Fuck you, I'm going to Vegas" weddings. Straight to the point and hopelessly romantic. Well, maybe not.

I'm pretty sure that if I ever get married, I will have a very private ceremony with very few people, and a huge reception. I've always thought of that kind of gesture to be highly personal, so I would only want to share it with the people I really care about, not the entire town. I understand that if you really love someone enough to marry them you should be comfortable shouting it from the

*, but I think weddings today are just a spectacle. That's something I feel very uncomfortable about being involved in. The reception would be a total shitshow, though.

I'm young, though. My opinion could change. Who knows.

Yeah, it's a commercial, but it's still incredibly cute.

Guest hahathhat

I'm pretty sure that if I ever get married, I will have a very private ceremony with very few people

unless your wife-to-be wants otherwise !

Guest Coalbucket PI

I love weddings, I think they are fun. I like all the soppy formality and then getting drunk and schmoozing. One of my good pals is getting married in a month but I'm not the best man. I don't think I ever will to be honest, and I don't want to because public speaking makes me nervous and it would ruin my day worrying about it. I think the only person who might have asked me to do it is the guy who is best man at this wedding, and he will probably return the favour now.

Of the three proper weddings I've been to the best man speeches have all been really weak. The first told a story that was actually horribly embarrassing for everyone listening and not funny. The second was okay but he just went the route of polite congratulations and one nice simple joke about where they met (Asda café)… The last one was this new year's eve, the groom is a pretty boring guy and the ‘funny’ stories about him were so incredibly dull I couldn’t believe it. One was about him running out of printer paper and having to use some other scrap paper instead. Another involved him putting a car in reverse instead of 1st gear, but noticing straight away before pulling off. Jesus.If those are the most interesting stories about you then you're fucked mate.

Guest Enter a new display name

I have never attended a marriage because it's not really part of the culture here (except for immigrants and catholic farmers).

Marriage? Or just attending marriages?

The marriage part. I rarely hear of couples getting married around here.

I love weddings, I think they are fun. I like all the soppy formality and then getting drunk and schmoozing. One of my good pals is getting married in a month but I'm not the best man. I don't think I ever will to be honest, and I don't want to because public speaking makes me nervous and it would ruin my day worrying about it. I think the only person who might have asked me to do it is the guy who is best man at this wedding, and he will probably return the favour now.

Of the three proper weddings I've been to the best man speeches have all been really weak. The first told a story that was actually horribly embarrassing for everyone listening and not funny. The second was okay but he just went the route of polite congratulations and one nice simple joke about where they met (Asda café)… The last one was this new year's eve, the groom is a pretty boring guy and the ‘funny’ stories about him were so incredibly dull I couldn’t believe it. One was about him running out of printer paper and having to use some other scrap paper instead. Another involved him putting a car in reverse instead of 1st gear, but noticing straight away before pulling off. Jesus.If those are the most interesting stories about you then you're fucked mate.

In light of what appears to be a standard problem here, perhaps we need to change the concept of best man.

Get rid of the best mate and instead hire a professional comedian.

my wedding was one of the most fun days of my entire life. my wife and i did most of the planning ourselves and i designed every single piece right down to the menus on the tables. i did our wedding invites in 3-D and mailed out 3D glasses with them. We chose a fantastic photographer who i then taught how to shoot in 3D, so we had a ton of outtakes and i used them to make a guest book that people went nuts over wearing the glasses.

It was so overwhelming to see 200+ people in one room because of you. it was very heart-warming and touching to feel so much love from everyone. to have everyone you care about in one place is truly amazing and i have so many memories from that day, even though i was destroyed on jameson by the end of the night (5am). my best man gave a speech for the ages and everyone was in stitches. it was classic.

surprised at everyone saying weddings are shit cos scottish weddings are usually great. proper 2 day shindig sometimes. english weddings i've attended were dull as can be.

i've never been best man... only a couple of my close pals have married and we have a large, sort of equally close group so it sort of ends up being who wants to do it or who'd make the funniest speech. i'm not one for speeches myself. i've been sort of groomsman, if there is such a thing here, along with 6 or so mates, all wearing the same as the groom, and helping out with stuff - mainly getting the best man totally smashed and laughing at him.

if i was to get married (i/we have no intention btw, it'd definately be a small, informal affair) i'd struggle to pick a 'best' man cos about 6 guys are on equal footing. i'd maybe have to make it a joint effort with 6 best men.

ive never had a 'best' friend in my life, picking out one of my friends as being better than all the others would seem abit pathetic. if i was forced at gunpoint to pick my closest friend, it would be a girl.

and public speaking makes me nauseous with fear.

Archived