IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

I just thought that particular phrase was funny.

I actually think the food analogy isn't bad. Some people like expensive stuff, other people like cheap stuff. (Although you could argue that healthy food is the best. No analogy is perfect.)

Thanks for clearing that up, lol. Yeah maybe the word "beast" made it kind of funny.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about people that drink wine? Anyone can enjoy a good glass of wine, even 9$ bottles of wine. What about people that enjoy 500$ bottles of wine? They have a criteria based approach for judging the quality of said wine. Are they enjoying different qualities of wine, is one better? Or is it just "subjective" taste?

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

Ultimately the way i'm understand this is if it doesn't fit into yours (or anyone's) predetermined idea of quality, it's immediately shit. Is there a prerequisite for making this kind of music that one is graded on quality?

what about people that drink wine? Anyone can enjoy a good glass of wine, even 9$ bottles of wine. What about people that enjoy 500$ bottles of wine? They have a criteria based approach for judging the quality of said wine. Are they enjoying different qualities of wine, is one better? Or is it just "subjective" taste?

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

Ultimately the way i'm understand this is if it doesn't fit into yours (or anyone's) predetermined idea of quality, it's immediately shit. Is there a prerequisite for making this kind of music that one is graded on quality?

I'm sorry but the way you're understanding our posts (at least mine) is not the way it was intended.

Consider the following: I realize that some rock bands have high quality music based on certain criteria. It is not my thing. That doesn't make it shit.

I also realize that other rock bands (Still not my thing) are complete shit, regardless of whether I'm into them or not.

My personal taste has no bearing on whether they are quality or not. I could see a figure skater do his/her thing and know it's quality without it fitting into my taste.

Your personal taste has everything to do with anything being "quality or not". How can it not? Because you're basing quality off of what you were taught in school?

I understand that fans of electronic music in general will always have a set precedent for what should be done, or how things should sound, but when it comes down to it.. people are choosing to listen to what sounds good to them, not what fits a requirement. None of us have ever enjoyed being judged for what WE thought sounded good, and this is exactly what's going on here. The constant scorning of this guys possible talent makes me feel like those complaining are incredibly unhappy with where they are and look at him with personal resentment. The more success he gains, the more anger and bitterness is directed at him. He doesn't have to represent anything you respect, it is what it is and people are enjoying it. If it gets people open to a wider array of music in ANY way, you guys have no reason to complain in my mind.

Also, you guys never cared about any pop music artist this much until it had to do with a genre you were familiar with.

You have never and still do not know me, so that's a pretty bold statement to tell me what I have cared about. (Statement is complete bs as it pertains to me).

You are being hypercritical of our personalities and that has nothing to do with mine and Mr Craniums conversation.

I'm going to bed. Have a good night.

I see your point, StephenG, but you use subjective criteria to rate the music. According to that subjective criteria, music can be considered good or bad. But it's subjective.

I see your point, StephenG, but you use subjective criteria to rate the music. According to that subjective criteria, music can be considered good or bad. But it's subjective.

What subjective criteria? Most criteria I apply can be measured and agreed upon by a majority. One of the major criteria pertains to frequency range. This is measurable, you know, through science. Has nothing to do with personal taste.

I would like to see this debate carried out on the floor at a Skrillex show with people jumping all around on E and bass wobs vibrating through the air and drunk girls flashing their tits and stuff while StephenG remains completely unphased, stands his ground and keeps debating.

Using my figure skating example, how are figure skaters judged? Complexity, form, etc?

These are "subjective" ? =S

I would like to see this debate carried out on the floor at a Skrillex show with people jumping all around on E and bass wobs vibrating through the air and drunk girls flashing their tits and stuff while StephenG remains completely unphased, stands his ground and keeps debating.

I would be staring at the tits. But I would debate at the same time.

Also, you guys never cared about any pop music artist this much until it had to do with a genre you were familiar with.

You have never and still do not know me, so that's a pretty bold statement to tell me what I have cared about. (Statement is complete bs as it pertains to me).

You are being hypercritical of our personalities and that has nothing to do with mine and Mr Craniums conversation.

i edited that line out so as not to distract from my main point... wasn't speaking to just you, stephenG

i edited that line out so as not to distract from my main point... wasn't speaking to just you, stephenG

I've enjoyed posting with you. This time I'm actually going to bed. lol... have a good night.

I can't help but think that if the most famous electronic musician was someone else, this thread would be about them.

Guest CraniumXII

Yeah, I'm with u. It can be argued that because Squarepusher plays a variety of different instruments and has a deep understanding of music theory, that he's obviously a better musician than Skrilks... As a result, his personality comes through the music clearly. It comes more naturally...That form of expression is art. The Flahblub, is an example of having a high degree of musical knowledge, but his music at times can feel over produced and too methodical (over thought)... and I think he's a million times the musician/producer that Skrillex is.

I think Skrillex, for being relatively new to the electronic music scene, has some potential. Time will tell if he can create some genuinely good, unique choonz. But it will come at the cost of some fame... because the majority of people aren't well versed in music theory, and have probably never taken a music appreciation class... So anything to far out there, will just confuse the masses (Autechre?).

Yes this is exactly what I was getting at! Thank you.

As far as I can tell, you guys are making two completely different points and agreeing with each other. You're basically saying anyone who likes anything about him (skrillex) they immediately have a shitty taste in music. I think it's not impossible to imagine there being people out there who like his music and like a lot of the same groups you do, unless you don't care for anything on this board. Just seems like a bullshit generalization to justify your own tastes. Cranium seems like he's trying to point out how squarepusher has a deep understanding of musical theory and is obviously a better musician, and you can tell it in his music? And that they teach this kind of music in musical appreciation courses that i've never heard about? Anyways, I think you're both fanboy grouping and would like someone to point out my misunderstanding. I know im not helping this shitty thread but some of the shit i'm reading seems full of untruths and implications

Well interestingly enough, there have been double blind test studies regarding wine testing. Supposed wine connoisseurs were unable to taste the difference between cheap wine and more expensive wines. But really all that says is that price does not dictate its quality.

I think I mentioned earlier liking a few of Skrillex's tracks, so not sure where you got the assumption that I was in anyway putting him down. Squarepusher, like him or not, is more well versed in music theory than Skrillex. Plain and simple. It's easier to program a set of complex chords in a program or a sampler, than it is to play bass live to high bpm drum n' bass. Not only that but he improvises live within the corresponding key, adding fills and other flourishes.

The music appreciation comment was not meant to be taken literally... it was more of a joke really. What I'm saying is people who haven't studied music, whether in a university, by listening, or by watching performances on youtube, are less likely to understand complex music... It also depends on the variety of music you listen to. Most people seem to have a very limited range of genre's they like, and that closes them off to a vast array of sonic possibilities. I love music, and I didn't go to school to study music either... I am a graphic designer in fact, but music is my main inspiration. It drives my mood,the energy, and feel of my work. It fascinates me to watch a good musician play on their instrument of choice. To watch Tom play complex chords on his bass is mesmerizing to me. I showed his classical bass videos to a few people who weren't at all impressed. It baffles me, not because the don't like it, but because they can't appreciate the skill in it.

Anyway... I'm gonna try and wrap this up. There are a few things I don't like about the majority of Skrillex's music, but the main things are his use of questionable samples and the jarring sounds used during some of the "drops". I don't much like his simplified drum beats either... but I don't think he's all bad, that's why I mentioned that we'll have to wait and see where he takes his career and music.

Finally, I'm not sure why you seem offended by the discussion, as though I somehow attacked your musical preferences :/

fvLnH.png

Fockin' lulz...

Guest Lucy Faringold

StephenG you would have had a lovely time in Nazi Germany; categorising which art was base and degenerate and which art conformed to your scientific standards of 'quality'.

Archived