IGNORED

Prog Rock

roasty

Guest SecondaryCell

Happy The Man - released two albums on Arista produced by Ken Scott in '77 & '78, then a third unreleased album plus early material was made available by HTM keyboardist Kit Watkins. IMO one of the best prog bands ever... often overlooked.

[youtubehd]jXSxuZ-ou44[/youtubehd]

I'm going to hit up my friend tomorrow for recommendations of prog rock, I need to explore the genre more myself. Lastfm seems to nail what I figured would be similar to Nazareth: Older Deep Purple ("Mk. II and III lineups), Uriah Heep, Slade, Rainbow, UFO.

When you mentioned "cosmic" sounding rock, space rock legends Hawkwind immediately come to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULwlnEok1c

Related band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbiClJthb64

I'd check this radio show too, maybe rip their podcasts. They play a lot of prog rock from 70s and up through now. Always hearing something that's new to me when I catch the show.

Speaking of Gong, found out recently that Quasimoto (Madlib) samples them a lot on The Further Adventures of Lord Quas

Yeah A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is fucking ridiculous. I really love that super mental bit in the middle (I think?) where they just completely lose the plot. They're like Genesis on acid.

Guest Shit Attack

eh i dunno i cant really take it that seriously to be put off by the singer to be honest he just adds to the crazy over the top quality of the music + yeah it does go pretty crazy about halfway through,but most of their stuff is pretty bizarre. the singer just makes me laugh really but dont really like most prog stuff so maybe thats why this seems more entertaning

Yeah I can't stand a lot of prog vocalists. Jon Anderson's voice really annoys me most of the time. The only prog vocalists I actually love the sound of are Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins..

Actually I really want to find a prog band with a baritone/low vocalist. Do any exist, at all?!

prog? let's see...i'll recommend you some albums.

1. Yes - Close To The Edge

2. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus

3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition

4. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

5. Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII

Yeah, that's a good way to think of it. I really need to pull out my Wavering Radiant vinyl again (yellow vinyl, awesome!). I kinda hesitate to play it at my place though because my front room seems to resonate exactly to the frequency of the C-tuned chugging at the start of the album, and it gets a bit overpowering and ringy, gah!

Guest Ron Manager

Also, I highly recommend Bardo Pond. Not so prog, but very psychedelic and spacey. Closer to Mogwai in terms of loudness.

[youtubehd]b0ORvMIwwvM[/youtubehd]

Edited by Ron Manager

• 11 years later...