IGNORED

Plaid's music as [always a] soundtrack

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

So i have watched Michael Arias' Tekkon Kinkurîto (also known as Tekkonkinkreet) today, which as you certainly know, features music composed and produced by our Plaid boys. The music is wonderfully crafted, as anyone would expect from them, but for me it is truly surprising - and one can only understand this when watching the movie - how it sounds so good for such movie. I can't imagine any other artist creating a score for such a film.

And this is precisely what got me thinking and it is why i am writing this.

Plaid's most recent music always sounds stronger and clear to me when associated with image and/or video. It is true that they have been working in this field for the last few years: Greedy Baby, this soundtrack and the one for Heaven's Door (which i already got but haven't seen yet). The thing is, Scintilli does sound like a soundtrack to me. I have always thought that every record is a soundtrack in itself, for something, and film scores are also records, but different because they need to be connected to a visual side. I am not saying Scintilli is a failed soundtrack. But i like to imagine a movie for it, while listening. And the Escher-esque cover of the record seems like a great starting point for a whole thing.

I don't know if what i am saying makes sense to anyone around these parts, but... what if Scintilli was unconsciously created for a movie?

A bit off-topic, but I can see what you mean about associations with images. It seems next to no-one likes anything to do with Bob Jaroc, but I thought his film for New Family was amazing. Especially the finale, which I thought worked brilliantly with the climax of the track. It's changed my perception of New Family forever and I can't hear it without thinking of the images (I love the sociopath's psychometric test questions, or whatever they were as well); on the downside, it's made the track itself very gloomy and devoid of hope for me, a proper downer especially building up to that climax. Which I like.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

well i downloaded Tekkon Kinkreet and it was a huuuuge mkv file and my codecs, despite me updating them, couldnt handle it! the audio and video were not synched at all, so i said whatever-the-fuck, and i cleaned the dust of my glasses and "shuffled" around the film, to see if there s anything interesting going on, but no, it was all animated kids jumping around and talking or feeling sorry and all that...i "sensed" that it was a good film though,,,, however, it s still an animated film! i dont like those!.....

so i cant say if the soundtrack goes with this animatiıon film- TK :biggrin:

:cerious:

heavens door was a bad film (for me) too, but i can definitely say, the soundtrack was so so good with the movie.esp seizure and two rooms, really gave the appropriate musical/emotional (background) feed, to the scenes they were on...so i can say, these dudes are definitely good at what they do! be it film scores or albums..

The use of themes and re-occurrence of those themes.

Thats what.

and yes i agree with chassis, he said it briefly and true...

A bit off-topic, but I can see what you mean about associations with images. It seems next to no-one likes anything to do with Bob Jaroc, but I thought his film for New Family was amazing. Especially the finale, which I thought worked brilliantly with the climax of the track. It's changed my perception of New Family forever and I can't hear it without thinking of the images (I love the sociopath's psychometric test questions, or whatever they were as well); on the downside, it's made the track itself very gloomy and devoid of hope for me, a proper downer especially building up to that climax. Which I like. Sorry for the tl;dr.

I like Bob Jaroc and his work... however, i never got much into Greedy baby, i don't know why.

but tbh, i think i was actually more into his images and films on that (DVD) album than i was into some of Plaid's tracks!

there's some great tunes/tracks on there, tho. but it's not the most enjoyable 'body' of Plaids' work, for me.

a for New Family, i don't connect the 2, always. can listen to it without thinking of the video. but again, that's not particularly a Plaid track that enjoy that much. everyone seems to love it and that side of Plaid. but i like their darker, less 'poppy' side, more.

love the drum sounds they use, though.

But i like to imagine a movie for it, while listening. And the Escher-esque cover of the record seems like a great starting point for a whole thing. I don't know if what i am saying makes sense to anyone around these parts, but... what if Scintilli was unconsciously created for a movie?

yeah it makes sense mate. a lot of their music sounds quite soundtrack-ey, right from the start, in Black Dog.

Guest ruiagnelo

Plaid have always been highly visual with their music.. it does make sense that it would be a natural path for them to take.

I agree. And i am glad they have risked to take a chance with all the audiovisual projects they have been involded with, and hope they continue exploring new fields and different ideas. They have my full support!

i love how they make sounds sound alive, if you know what i mean.

they give character and personality to it all. making some seemingly random bleeps and squelches and bing's 'n bong's sound like they're some sort of concious alien entities!

Plaid have always been highly visual with their music.. it does make sense that it would be a natural path for them to take.

I agree. And i am glad they have risked to take a chance with all the audiovisual projects they have been involded with, and hope they continue exploring new fields and different ideas. They have my full support!

Yeah, i'm glad they still have the energy and creativity to take chances, do their own thing and work in different fields.. i'm enjoying the ride!

i love how they make sounds sound alive, if you know what i mean.

they give character and personality to it all. making some seemingly random bleeps and squelches and bing's 'n bong's sound like they're some sort of concious alien entities!

Me too mate, it's what make a really good tune for me..

the sound of life in the music, having that human element is essential especially in this hi-tech world!

Archived