IGNORED

Plaid - Feorm Falorx (out November 11th, 2022)

sidewinder

57 minutes ago, zazen said:

(from https://spindizzyrecords.com/products/plaid-feorm-falorx-cd-nov-11 )

So there's a book as well? This seems like a concept album and so you've got to give them some leeway on the cover art. Perhaps it ties into the book.

Cover art makes me think of the movie Arrival.

I like that C.A. video, obviously using DALL-E or similar to generate each frame.

"The album largely concerns ideas of space travel, according to a press release, and was made with the assistance of AI tools." according to this article but I can't find this supposed press release anywhere. Its like a secret press release apparently??

Something about C.A did make me think 'this is like dall-e turned into music' so maybe they've found a way to do something along those lines.

I havent listened to any plaid since Scinitlli (which I loved) what have I missed?

Most notably, IMO, Reachy Prints. It's a concise set of tunes but the highlights rival some of the highest highs in their discography. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Most notably, IMO, Reachy Prints. It's a concise set of tunes but the highlights rival some of the highest highs in their discography. 

This. On Other Hands and the EGR Elektron EP were fantastic as well. Digging Remedy is a chill album with a lot of Benet Walsh collaboration. Polymer is a bit more unique in sound but I think in recent years I love Reachy Prints more than both. Still great albums though.

Slam, Liverpool St and Nafovanny are some of the best tracks on it imo.

Edited by President Squidward

Baby Step Giant Step is one of those stand outs of the recent tracks. Agree that the last three albums have felt of the same cloth and altogether less punchy somehow than Scintilli/Spokes/etc

I remember reading in an interview they see their instruments/patches as completely reusable the way in a rock band a bass player might have a favorite bass guitar.

That font for the album cover seems ripped straight from a 70s sci-fi paperback. I'll agree with the people saying it's cheesy and dated out of the box. It's kind of why I like it

• Like 1

this concept album approach, cover art, etc. remind me of Drexciya... or maybe it's a throwback to like how this genre of music (IDM!) sorta was when it was in its infancy back in the late '80s/early '90s. like the early Detroit techno stuff, B-12, all that, which were directly referencing a lot of sci-fi tropes. not like this is important....the preview track is awesome, and can't wait to hear the whole thing!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, zero said:

this concept album approach, cover art, etc. remind me of Drexciya... or maybe it's a throwback to like how this genre of music (IDM!) sorta was when it was in its infancy back in the late '80s/early '90s. like the early Detroit techno stuff, B-12, all that, which were directly referencing a lot of sci-fi tropes. not like this is important....the preview track is awesome, and can't wait to hear the whole thing!

It’s definitely a Drexciya inspired concept 

Hope this album sounds cold since it comes out in Nov. Polymer was great but Plaid's sound is on the more summery side overall. It would be nice if this album sounded more alien, it would be a very nice development/ continuation of the Plaid moniker that way. Because I really Iike them but sometimes I feel like they stick to their formula a bit much.

• Like 1

I feel like an idiot for not knowing, but what song is this?

There was another clip of this track floating around, the backdrop video was b&w footage of a zeppelin. Anyways, I thought this track would fit perfectly w this new album/theme.

is this a b side? From one of their soundtracks? I can’t place it

3 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

I feel like an idiot for not knowing, but what song is this?

There was another clip of this track floating around, the backdrop video was b&w footage of a zeppelin. Anyways, I thought this track would fit perfectly w this new album/theme.

is this a b side? From one of their soundtracks? I can’t place it

It's called Trail, I think it only came out on a compilation. 

https://www.discogs.com/release/2282135-Various-LEV-2010

Edited by toaoaoad

14 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Thank you! No wonder i didn’t know what it was from. Amazing track, wouldn’t have been out of place on Spokes tbh

this is one of those tracks that I'd kill to see appear on a future compilation

• 4 weeks later...