IGNORED

Plaid - Feorm Falorx (out November 11th, 2022)

sidewinder

23 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Purchased! No idea if I got in for a signed copy or not. I dig the album art but like other's prefer some of the other pieces they've been sharing. Excited for the tunes and the novel!

v.nice first track. This has also reminded me that I never picked up Polymer or The Digging Remedy.

Listening to The Digging Remedy now, with Polymer to follow shortly,  this is both shocking and odd state of affairs. I'll put it down to crippling depression around the Polymer release, and probably again for The Digging Remedy.

Really enjoying The Digging Remedy. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

v.nice first track. This has also reminded me that I never picked up Polymer or The Digging Remedy.

Listening to The Digging Remedy now, with Polymer to follow shortly,  this is both shocking and odd state of affairs. I'll put it down to crippling depression around the Polymer release, and probably again for The Digging Remedy.

Really enjoying The Digging Remedy. 

I like both, but Polymer landed more for me than Digging Remedy. Enjoy, I hope you're on the other side of your depression! Some of the most memorable/cherished albums for me are ones that carried me through dark times. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

I like both, but Polymer landed more for me than Digging Remedy.

I've been really impressed with every track on Digging Remedy, had to pause on Held for a work call, will listen to Polymer next. 

26 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

I hope you're on the other side of your depression! Some of the most memorable/cherished albums for me are ones that carried me through dark times. 

Probably an interesting thread to be made on music, mood and memory formation, and impact of depression. If it doesn't already exist here. This is worth digging into (sorry for going off topic) on the restorative effects of music for dementia patients. 

I love Plaid. This is duplicate content I've already mentioned in the Plaid haters thread, but Spokes is my favourite, and all albums after it are great. The previous albums have their moments, too, but Spokes is the watershed, it's a brilliant album they've said is their most experimental and "difficult" one. Tekkonkinkreet OST is also great.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, dcom said:

Spokes is the watershed, it's a brilliant album they've said is their most experimental and "difficult" one. Tekkonkinkreet OST is also great.

I agree but after that everything is so sammy and forgettable

The green Alphonse Mucha -esque art in the OP is pretty lush but I still love the album cover. It might be AI generated

Plaid & Emma Catnip Journey to Feorm Falorx A5, 44 page graphic novel printed full colour. AI artist Emma Catnip explores Plaid’s fictional journey to Feorm Falorx. First 100 orders will be signed by the Artists.

There's grey alien vibes in all of this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcbpete said:

image.png

Looks like what you'd get if you typed "Wire magazine cover featuring Plaid" into Dall-E

Yeah this. I don't really mind the image itself, but I think the PLAID at the top is really tacky, and the little text on the side is supposed to have like a "sci-fi" kind of vibe or whatever, which already feels dated; the whole thing just feels like in ten years it's going to look very dated, in a bad way, not a nostalgic way. Strange choice.

Track is good tho. I need to catch up on their last 3 albums tbh lol

C.A. is a classic Plaid song I love it.

I'm happy to hear from them, Polymer was such a good album.

All respects to Ed & Andy, since 30 years ago both started this beautiful project, great memories with double figure and spokes.

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, xox said:

I agree but after that everything is so sammy and forgettable

I can see that even from a fan perspective. I feel production wise there’s been few subtle change to their style after Scintilli. Still some great tunes but it does make me miss a bit of Spokes/Greedy Baby/Scintilli era, which at the moment are my peak Plaid.

However there’s some rather nice psychedelic touches to this new single I do find a bit unique in recent times for their style, the kick is still that one you’ve been hearing since Reachy Prints though, with that off time signature with a glitch this time around.

Edited by President Squidward
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

I recognize this name.. was it an admin from an idm group on fb or something?

edit: they are https://www.facebook.com/groups/idmfan/about

Yeah, she used to be super active on all the IDM Facebook groups. Rather pleasant individual that would get unnecessary hate, from what I recall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This eleventh studio album finds our duo, Ed Handley and Andy Turner, recreating a recent performance at the Feorm Festival, an intergalactic festival held on the planet Falorx. In order to survive the Falorxian atmosphere they were converted into light so the traditional recording devices they'd taken on 'The Campbell' were not functional. Fortunately, having consulted Earth's Space Agency, it was deemed safe to recreate the performance back in their London studio. Extensive testing of the resulting recordings have established a level of thought contamination deemed, “perfectly acceptable.”

(from https://spindizzyrecords.com/products/plaid-feorm-falorx-cd-nov-11 )

So there's a book as well? This seems like a concept album and so you've got to give them some leeway on the cover art. Perhaps it ties into the book.

Cover art makes me think of the movie Arrival.

I like that C.A. video, obviously using DALL-E or similar to generate each frame.

"The album largely concerns ideas of space travel, according to a press release, and was made with the assistance of AI tools." according to this article but I can't find this supposed press release anywhere. Its like a secret press release apparently??

Something about C.A did make me think 'this is like dall-e turned into music' so maybe they've found a way to do something along those lines.

I havent listened to any plaid since Scinitlli (which I loved) what have I missed?