IGNORED

Plaid - Feorm Falorx (out November 11th, 2022)

sidewinder

On 10/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, WurstPLUS said:

C.A. is OK. Very much looking forward still. And we definitely need Stem Sells II

We need Trainer 2 for unreleased tracks too. Hoping Warp let's them do it since they told me on Twitter during the Polymer era they'd be interested.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a first listen this feels plodding and unremarkable. The first track is classic stuff but (for me) it only really picks with 'Return to Return' and the excellent 'Tomason'. The others feel like B-sides or stuff they'd previously shelved.

It's okay but if you were expecting the beauty of 'Reach Prints' or 'The Digging Remedy' you may be disappointed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fumi said:

After a first listen this feels plodding and unremarkable. The first track is classic stuff but (for me) it only really picks with 'Return to Return' and the excellent 'Tomason'. The others feel like B-sides or stuff they'd previously shelved.

It's okay but if you were expecting the beauty of 'Reach Prints' or 'The Digging Remedy' you may be disappointed.

If this tracks I’m still ok and excited about it, seems like a fun project and I’m happy they are still at it. Reachy is my favorite Plaid album depending on the day. It’s ok if this is it’s own thing.

I'm a huge fan of this guys but man when they said they were gonna do space and funk stuff they weren't kidding,

for some reason it just feels a bit cheesier than usual that it's a bit offputting, Wondergan especially. It kind of feels a bit cheap but maybe it's the audio quality on my mp3 leaks, so far this is good but more different than usual from them tbh.

Edited by President Squidward
  • Like 1

Yeah this one does have some good sounds going on but on first listen I think I need to relisten for it to grow on me, this is definitely their most varied in sound since Scintilli.

Wondergan might become a fantastic cheese track for me soon. It's in my head right now...

P.S. first listen this is my least fav but still a high 7.

Alright, Wondergan got worse for me sadly. Royalty Free as fuck. ? 

Modenet, bits of Cwtchr too.

Nightcrawler, Bowl, C.A., Tomason and Wide I's are good though, have potential to become favorites.

2 hours ago, kuniklo said:

This sounds like outtakes to a Super Mario soundtrack.

Ahah, Wondergan definitely. Imaging an old school record producer with a ponytail putting their hand over the mixer and nodding 'no' to Plaid.

Overall it's a pleasant listen. C.A. is the standout for me right now.

The album art hits my aesthetic sweet spot (cryptic futurism). The back cover is particularly nice.
spacer.png

• Like 1

Cycling Wednesday, fishing Thursday and with not much going on today I’ll go and get myself a few beers and listen to a new Plaid album on Friday. Very nice way to spend a few days off work ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, WurstPLUS said:

No progress and Plaid being Plaid? Bell sounds? Not saying it's a bad thing ?

Seems you were right. ? I'm not particularly feeling this album; it seems distinctly ordinary (apart from the two tracks we already got, which have those Plaid harmonies we love.) In fact, a friend I was playing it to (excitedly, before we both realised we weren't liking it) described it as "almost aggressively dull." I know struggling unsigned electronic artists who make better music than this, but also make things like 'Modonet' in a couple of hours and wouldn't dream of putting it out (not that anyone listens to most lesser known people putting out music anyway now.)

I'm sure some will like the wondering, noodly, videogamey vibes though. I just need my harmonies and melodies a bit more arresting if the beats are gonna be so straight like this. I'm struggling to find anything interesting at all in quite a few of these tracks, and the Super Mario World soundtrack is one of my favourite things ever. (That's got more interesting melodies, harmonies, and syncopation though.)

Edited by Lianne

Wasn’t bowled over myself ? 

Bit of a mixed bag. Some tunes seemed to really miss the mark, though a few tracks sounded pretty sweet. I try not be too negative nowadays on watmm. Never really been the worlds biggest Plaid fan. Ho hum ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Loving it, keeping in mind the concept they were going for here. The tracks don't hit the same way Wallet or Clocks do but as a whole, I think it's really fun and positive. I love Polymer but feel like the vibe is a bit up and down throughout. This one is definitely checking some sci-fi cheese boxes so I can see how that might not work for everyone. 

I like Wondergan! Tomason, Return to Return, Cwtchr, and Perspex are catching my ear the most on first listen. 

• Like 1